Two monitors different results

Debbiek89

Hi all,

Hoping for some help/advice

Was diagnosed T2 July this year, was given a Contour TS monitor to monitor blood glucose. Few weeks later I won a Contour NEXT. I’m not overly active on taking bloods but it is there as a reassurance if I feel unwell. Tried for NEXT test strips on prescription but told too high cost and would only be given to T1 as special request. So will consider buying those myself. However I have today taken my bloods on both machine. One puncture fed to both test strips.
NEXT-15.5
TS -16.9
Washed hand and repeated half an hour later same one puncture fed to both strips
NEXT-15.5
TS - 14.6

How can the results vary so much? Both brand new when I got them.

TIA

D

Deleted Account

It does sound as if they are that far apart - meters are only accurate to within about 15% and you never know which way the meters will go.
Bear in mind the difference is likely to be exaggerated at higher numbers. For example, if your actual value was 16.0, one meter could read 15% low and one could read 15% high which would make them 13.6 and 18.4.

Due to this difference, it is usually recommended to stick with one meter only and use this to set and track your targets.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because they are only accurate to 15%, and both sets of those numbers are within 15% of each other, so as long as the control solutions show the correct ranges then those results are deemed to be correct.

Edit: I was too slow to reply :)

Debbiek89

Because they are only accurate to 15%, and both sets of those numbers are within 15% of each other, so as long as the control solutions show the correct ranges then those results are deemed to be correct.

Edit: I was too slow to reply :)

Ahh! Thank you for the reply! If I can find an online stockist for my NEXT strips I’ll be sticking with that one regularly. But in the meantime TS will do

TY

Debbiek89

It does sound as if they are that far apart - meters are only accurate to within about 15% and you never know which way the meters will go.
Bear in mind the difference is likely to be exaggerated at higher numbers. For example, if your actual value was 16.0, one meter could read 15% low and one could read 15% high which would make them 13.6 and 18.4.

Due to this difference, it is usually recommended to stick with one meter only and use this to set and track your targets.

Thank you for the reply! I wasn’t aware of the 15% accuracy! I’ll keep that in mind.

Until I find a cheap online stockist for my NEXT strips I’ll be using my TS. And then make the switch thereafter!

TY

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Was diagnosed T2 July this year, was given a Contour TS monitor to monitor blood glucose. Few weeks later I won a Contour NEXT. I’m not overly active on taking bloods but it is there as a reassurance if I feel unwell. Tried for NEXT test strips on prescription but told too high cost and would only be given to T1 as special request. So will consider buying those myself. However I have today taken my bloods on both machine. One puncture fed to both test strips.
NEXT-15.5
TS -16.9
Washed hand and repeated half an hour later same one puncture fed to both strips
NEXT-15.5
TS - 14.6

TIA
Are you taking any meds for your Type 2?
Those sugar levels are rather high.. surprised no-one else has remarked on that...

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

NEXT-15.5
TS -16.9
NEXT-15.5
TS - 14.6

TIA
Most meters will give inaccurate results when there is hyperglycaemia to the extent your reading are showing.
The more close to normal your BG levels are, the more accurate your meter reading will be.

It may not be PC to mention it,
With BG readings as high as your readings are, no meter will give you accurate BG results.
15% of 7mmol/l is significantly less than 15% of 14mmol/l

Last edited:

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stick to one meter, and keep the other in case of loss or failure, it may be less worrying! What is important is trends in your readings. Is it staying high or getting lower for example. Check after meals regularly and adjust what you eat to see if changing sends it the right way. Reading all the good stuff on this site will point you in the right direction, and will enable you to change what you eat, and when you eat some things. Many of us find cutting back hard, or eliminating most carbohydrates gives good and fast results. Read on and good luck!

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Accu Chek Performa meter and I have 2 meters, exact same models but each uses a different unit. Main one is mg/dl and the other is mmol/L. Even same drop of blood on 2 meters showed a difference, and I noticed a pattern that one always reads slightly higher by 1 mmol/L. I could live with that I guess :)

Khaled1972

Hello everyone here I'm Khaled from Roubaix ( north of France near to Belgian borders ) and I'm so happy to share with you my experience in the UK. for me I'm using Accu-check mobile which is -in my view- the best between all glucometers. it's really accurate and very near to the lab result.

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
Hi there, I use the contour next at home and the accucheck mobile when I am away from home. I have the two units so I don’t have to worry if I loose one. You can get a difference in your readings with different monitors just as you will if you prick 2 fingers at the same time and test them. I was advised to be aware there is/can be a difference so you should stick to one as a main test unit and the other for back up that way you are not confusing yourself too much as long as there is not a huge difference in the results dosing to a second meter should not hurt you. My diabetes Ed does not seem to be concerned about the difference between the two monitors that I use.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i didn't know about the precise 15%, my doctor always told me there is going to be a +/- of 20mg/dl (about +/-1.1mmol/L), but if you use 15% it really is gonna be more imprecise the higher your BSL is. (i did not do the math, correct me if i'm wrong lol)
when you get an FBS (fasting blood sugar) test from a lab, ask the medtech (?) to apply a drop of that same blood specimen to each of your monitors. record the monitor results and compare them to the one from the lab. i suppose one of em is gonna be more accurate if they change that much, but if both are very near the lab result then i guess it really is the 15% working, and not an error/inaccuracy of the monitor.

Debbiek89

Are you taking any meds for your Type 2?
Those sugar levels are rather high.. surprised no-one else has remarked on that...
Yeah I’ve just changed from metformin to metformin slow release. Only diagnosed in July, so still trying to find a good balance. The reading were 90minutes after lunch so possibly at their highest for the day.

3 month bloods are down from
80 to 73 so far. Just gotta keep sticking at it

Thanks

Debbiek89

i didn't know about the precise 15%, my doctor always told me there is going to be a +/- of 20mg/dl (about +/-1.1mmol/L), but if you use 15% it really is gonna be more imprecise the higher your BSL is. (i did not do the math, correct me if i'm wrong lol)
when you get an FBS (fasting blood sugar) test from a lab, ask the medtech (?) to apply a drop of that same blood specimen to each of your monitors. record the monitor results and compare them to the one from the lab. i suppose one of em is gonna be more accurate if they change that much, but if both are very near the lab result then i guess it really is the 15% working, and not an error/inaccuracy of the monitor.
I’ll ask them to do that next time I get my bloods taken! Didn’t think of that! If I can get test strips for my NEXT monitor I’ll be sticking with that one as it’s syncd to my phone so helps me keep track!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I’ve just changed from metformin to metformin slow release. Only diagnosed in July, so still trying to find a good balance. The reading were 90minutes after lunch so possibly at their highest for the day.

3 month bloods are down from
80 to 73 so far. Just gotta keep sticking at it

Thanks
Keep your eye on those levels though.. Metformin is a fairly mild medication so its unlikely it will drop your blood sugars hugely.. dietary changes are likely to have a far greater impact.

Debbiek89

If you stick to one meter, and keep the other in case of loss or failure, it may be less worrying! What is important is trends in your readings. Is it staying high or getting lower for example. Check after meals regularly and adjust what you eat to see if changing sends it the right way. Reading all the good stuff on this site will point you in the right direction, and will enable you to change what you eat, and when you eat some things. Many of us find cutting back hard, or eliminating most carbohydrates gives good and fast results. Read on and good luck!
I’m going to try and source some strips for my NEXT monitor as I prefer that one! My readings are always on the high side, nurse said it’s becuse we are still working on lowering them.
I’ve been doing my best to read up loads on here and trying to see what other changes I make! I need to lower my carbs for sure. However carbs are my downfall with food they’re my favourites !

Thank you

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However carbs are my downfall with food they’re my favourites !
Hi Debbie,
My lunch today is all carbs its all about finding what works for you. Food is not the Enemy. :p

But that said some carbs are better for you than others and you find this out through testing to see which ones raise your bg levels there is a very basic guide that anything high in starch like potatoes and other white/ beige root vegetables which grow under ground will raise your bg.
Bread and pasta will raise bg but low carb pasta/ bread or whole meal will not raise it as much.

If you cook many of the starchy food and leave them over night in the fridge it lowers the effect it has on spiking your blood sugars levels.
If you can't give up toast putting the bread in the freezer over night before slipping it in the toaster lowers the spike in blood sugar levels also. (just ask people will be happy to share tips like this with you).:bookworm:

It's all about making better choices.

Lunch today for anyone who is about to go off on me, because they are more carb intolerant than me.
  • A bed of raw spinach
  • Diced tomatoes (leave the seeds on the chopping board)
  • Home-made Vegan beetroot/carrot/spring onion burgers/ chillies and walnuts
  • with home-made mint yoghurt
  • and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.
Dinner on the other hand is Steak and Egg not a carb in sight.

Give it some time and you will find what works for you Debbie. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even two sequential tests on the same meter from the same drop can vary for me. Usually between 6 and 8 but varies by more than 1mmol at times

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Debbie
You are a beginner I am T1 and Have now been having 2 injections every day for over 60 years.
I have used meters ever since they became available and have been thro the different reading confusion many years ago.
The nature of the meters is that they have an accuracy tolerance as stated earlier in this thread.
The most accurate area is 3 to 8 and then as you go higher the allowable difference becomes larger, but other things can affect readings.
If you use more than one meter make sure is same make and model (It is always sensible to have more than one meter incise it gets damaged or lost)
In time you will learn what your BG is from the way you feel - it takes every one a different length of time to be able to do this but does depend on using a BG meter regularly.
Now the do not worry bit -
I have recently had 2 new meters delivered and have had realy silly results from them.
Test 1 - Meter 1 33.6 (Rubbish)
Test 2 - Meter 1 - 8.6 (expected level)
Test 3 - Meter 2 - 18.9 (did not believe this!)
Test 4 - old meter - 8.4 (Confirms expected level)
All tests done in less than 6 minutes. Supplier informed - immediate apology and replacement.
I am surprised that you have a level of 16 and then my niece has been near 20 for the last 6 months - you should have been given a target - I would suggest aiming for 8 and attempting to do it by diet - if you can get away with not taking anything you will be far better off!
With injections and BG I have so many holes I should leak! The description "Finger tips of steel" is annoyingly accurate for just on one finger I am puzzled why just one!
That's my bit
Just deal with it Paul