Type 1'stars R Us

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Or just shoplift Libres from supermarket pharmacies?

Too many security issues to get round there, Mel. Although, you're in Wales, could you just distract the floorwalkers by sending a few sheep in?

Type 1'stars R Us - the thread where serious issues are discussed (before we all get arrested!)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1522251680904.jpg

Reactions: Cumberland

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Talking of sheep and Wales, I'm driving to Port Meirion today so I hope it doesn't rain. Hate driving when it's went. I'm not sure what route to take, could go on the motorway but it's not much fun.
Another sweaty night and woke to 8.1, bizarre

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all, 4.9 waking and now at 5.8 with my feet on the floor and a ground coffee, this is working so far as I can now pre bolus and have time to shave my head in the shower before I eat, a long time morning routine that had gone to the dogs from injecting Tresiba on a night, so I'm pretty pleased about that. :)

Quite fun having my little un so far, she's having an induction at the gym this aft :) and we got across town last night to see grandson/nephew enjoying his 4th week on the planet.

On a different random note, a big up to the Canadians :p

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You could be on to something here, hh. All those reluctant ccgs who aren't funding, just do a deal - put me on script, I'll nick a few toasters for you.

Or take it all the way - I'll get your DSNs one of those really expensive espresso machines from John Lewis and you put me on Omnipod...
If all else fails, use bribery!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ughhh!

I woke at 2am, the sheets were wet with sweat and I was shaking. For me, these are typical night time hypo symptoms.
I scanned my Libre with my phone - 6.2 and rising. Eh? That was not how I felt.
I used the phone torch (so as not to wake my partner) and tried a finger prick - 4.9. OK lower but still not how I felt.
The Libre/Glimp graphs showed no lows. For the last 24 hours, I have been wibbling around the blue zone.
I took nothing, continued to toss and turn and finally got back to sleep.
When the alarm woke me later, I felt drained but not tough hypo drained. I was wondering if I dreamt it but my phone showed the manual BG input into Glimp at 2am.

I guess I will just put it down to my body having a funny turn and hope it doesn't happen again.
And, if it does, I'll do a bit more investigation.

Hope everyone else slept as well as my partner did through all of that.
In hindsight ? include a thermometer in the test kit ??

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki
K

Knikki

Morning

Proper CBA head on for this diabetes lark, getting to that point where a number of things are colliding and just p*ssed off with it.

Yes I know I am usually one of the positive ones but every now and then I get one on me and at the moment it is one of those days.

Other than that all in the green over night, woke with a 6.8 breakky, dump more insulin than usual get to work and its heading for the stars, correction dose of 3 and now running level 7.6, so lets see what happens in 3 hours when I expect a spike.

Normal service will resume shortly.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Afternoon All,

Been away for a long weekend in the North York moors area and signal was pretty poor if not non-existent which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Anyhow, 7.8 this morning.

So, i've had my review this morning. HBA1c was 63 which i'm not overly excited about but pretty much accepted as an on-going discussion with the healthcare team has been about my frequent hypo's...so to avoid them going low all the time during exercise etc i'll sit them higher than usual. I've been contemplating the libre for awhile and more so since joining the forum however it is definitely a post-code lottery! The eligibility requirements for the North-East in particular Newcastle are ridiculous so will look into self-financing options over the next couple of weeks.

A couple of things picked up during the review were very, very tiny amount of protein in my urine. Never had this in the 14 year diagnosis and the consultant said it wasn't quite a +1 but enough to trigger a lab test. Anyone else experienced this? I did have a strenuous weekend in terms of activities which i know can increase this and i was definitely dehydrated this morning looking at the colour.

Second point raised was 'absent dorsalis pedis pulse' in both feet. Since my diagnosis every clinician has struggled to get this pulse which leads me to believe that maybe this is not a major concern as they usually pick it up with a doppler which they didn't do today. I've been referred to the podiatrist so we'll see what they say. Never had a problem with my feet, no ulcers, blisters, discoloration, no pain etc..etc..so hoping that in some way my feet are just weird but normal!?
Hi @n1ck, From my T1D experience, not professional advice or opinion.
How have you been managing your exercise, insulin etc up until now?
Finger crossed about the protein in urine. The next test is, I guess, supposed to be more definitive but ask the doctor whether you need to obtain the collection of urine whilst laying down or it is alright to be standing.
When a doctor had trouble finding a pulse on me I was examined with a Doppler machine, a gadget used for checking pulses, baby's heartbeat in the womb etc. That device picked up my pulse easily. I almost felt like getting a tattoo, X marks the spot!!
So I hope all turns out well but there may be some useful comparisons to draw from how some of us T1Ds cope (or not) with exercise !?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hello everyone, had to reduce my internet use for a few days, as the power adaptor on my laptop decided to stop working, it does that regularly.

Had worryingly good overnight blood sugars overnight with no internet, I wonder if the two are connected.

I need one of those electric cookers with a timer. Just don't ask why. I've done this so many times, I decide to buy some eggs to hard boil, as a relatively cheap, and sensible, food option, and I use a saucepan to boil them, and the first few days I remember they're cooking, but each day the cooking time gets progressively longer, until one day I forget they're cooking, until I find a blackened saucepan, and uneatable eggs.

Yesterday I surpassed myself, so no more eggs until I get a cooker with a timer, it's not like they're even expensive.

Cake looks beautiful @Robinredbreast have a lovely birthday celebration.
What about the timer and alarm on your mobile phone ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning

Proper CBA head on for this diabetes lark, getting to that point where a number of things are colliding and just p*ssed off with it.

Yes I know I am usually one of the positive ones but every now and then I get one on me and at the moment it is one of those days.

Other than that all in the green over night, woke with a 6.8 breakky, dump more insulin than usual get to work and its heading for the stars, correction dose of 3 and now running level 7.6, so lets see what happens in 3 hours when I expect a spike.

Chin up @Knikki we all go through it now and again. Constant battle over a lot of years, you are more than welcome to have a peeved off day.....sending big hugs :)

I woke to a 9.9 and now steadily rising 12.2...a few correction doses already today. Alarms on the MM going off left, right and center :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Quick question for the MM/Xdrip users. Going to change the Libre sensor later. Do I stop the MM with Xdrip when changing over and do I wait for the 1 hour warm up befor putting the MM back on and starting the sensor again?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning

Diabetes makes as much sense as the fact that I put the clothes on the line 2 days ago and it rained.
I left the clothes on the line and it kept raining. But if I had brought the clothes in and dried them inside would it have stopped raining? Cause and effect can be daft like that. The universe holds the answer just not discoverable today.
Hope for better weather tomorrow my friend, less see-sawing and water like a mill pond - flat and smooth.
Just do not sneeze!!:):);)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In hindsight, I have no more clue than I did yesterday.
But, being a cold sweat, I don't think the thermometer would add any value.
A mystery, but people can have rigours where the temp goes up, they sweat and the temp plummets and if fast enough they shiver.
Fingers crossed for it being a one-off imponderable.

Reactions: Kim Possible

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep going @Knikki, those days happen, more easily said than done but you know what I mean. :)

n1ck

Hi @n1ck, From my T1D experience, not professional advice or opinion.
How have you been managing your exercise, insulin etc up until now?
Finger crossed about the protein in urine. The next test is, I guess, supposed to be more definitive but ask the doctor whether you need to obtain the collection of urine whilst laying down or it is alright to be standing.
When a doctor had trouble finding a pulse on me I was examined with a Doppler machine, a gadget used for checking pulses, baby's heartbeat in the womb etc. That device picked up my pulse easily. I almost felt like getting a tattoo, X marks the spot!!
So I hope all turns out well but there may be some useful comparisons to draw from how some of us T1Ds cope (or not) with exercise !?
Hi Kitedoc,

I manage my exercise/insulin as well as i can. The main issue has been too many hypo's probably as direct result of the volume/type of exercise and even though that's my background i still feel like i'm learning all the time what works and what doesn't! Regarding the urine...it's been sent off to the labs. He said it was a very tiny amount so not quite a +1..but yep will get them to check postural and possibly 24hrs if anything comes back. The feet, i mentioned to the nurses yesterday that everyone has struggled to get that pulse and only when they use the doppler will they pick it up. They said they don't have one and that it would be the podiatrist that would do that...how things have changed over the years because previous nurses would just grab it out of their draw. Maybe now it's not within their scope of practice?

Reactions: hh1 and porl69