What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*expletive* *expletive* so sorry you had to go through that . It just isnt right!
It's pretty typical of how many of us are treated...I have made a complaint...my sympathies lay with the chap there for his daily dose of methadone...he was clearly on a daily script...was given no privacy...so everyone in the queue knew who he was & why he was there...there was no respect for his privacy at all...no dignity...it's not acceptable...I am going to address it with Boots when they contact me...it's as much their fault as the individual pharmacist...anyone needing medication or advice should be given that in privacy...I almost felt her giving me my meds was conditional on complying with her demands to answer the questions.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, good news and not-so-good news I guess.

Doc gave me my latest HbAc1 results.... 34, that's eight months from diagnosis :)

The lump, might be a subcutaneous cyst but I'm being sent for cancer screening. Important to note that men can get breast cancer too.

At least the universe is diverse in its choices to bump me off ;):)

An amazing HbA1c ... hope for the best and sent you a hug

Reactions: Cumberland

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

It's good to see that lots of folks are sporting great numbers today.

Woke up with a bit of headache and higher numbers than usual this morning. Maybe went a bit low overnight (lots of walking and exercise and little food yesterday) and the liver kicking in trying to be helpful. Of course no way of knowing unless you have a continuous blood glucose monitor. So, anyway 5.6 today, down a bit after breakfast and two espressos with cream.

@Bubbsie -- When I read about your experience with the nosy pharmacist, my jaw dropped. This is shocking. Well done complaining about this.
@HarrisonK -- Hope you'll be seen soon and it turns out to be nothing. Definitely a a very uncomfortable and anxiety-provoking situation to be in.
@Ziggy2017 -- Here's hoping the inhaler will help und you start feeling better soon. Hugs.
@shelley262 -- Thanks for helpful comment and insight. Agree, it could have also been the stress. Usually though after a stressful day blood sugars tend to settle quite quickly and behave normally. On the day in question, though, they were decidedly wonky and did not behave as usual (i.e. they dropped when they usually go up and went up when they usually go down -- very confusing). It always surprises me how differently we seem to react to fasting.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's pretty typical of how many of us are treated...I have made a complaint...my sympathies lay with the chap there for his daily dose of methadone...he was clearly on a daily script...was given no privacy...so everyone in the queue knew who he was & why he was there...there was no respect for his privacy at all...no dignity...it's not acceptable...I am going to address it with Boots when they contact me...it's as much their fault as the individual pharmacist...anyone needing medication or advice should be given that in privacy...I almost felt her giving me my meds was conditional on complying with her demands to answer the questions.
Wow Bubbsie...I wouldnt be happy with that either..who would! Well done for tackling Boots though. I am sure theres training involved but if there wasnt staff like this are not suited to the job..its not rocket science that you need discretion in this job. Its a shame for other staff who dont behave like this.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow Bubbsie...I wouldnt be happy with that either..who would! Well done for tackling Boots though. I am sure theres training involved but if there wasnt staff like this are not suited to the job..its not rocket science that you need discretion in this job. Its a shame for other staff who dont behave like this.
Yes I agree with you @PenguinMum ...so the whole queue knew who I was...where I lived...what medication I take...why I take it...what my results were...when I attend clinic...I certainly wasn't happy...I will impress on whoever I speak to from Boots how unnecessary & intrusive the questions were...I could have given her any answers I wanted to (lied my head off) & she wouldn't have know any different...that clearly indicates none of what she asked was relevant to filling my prescription.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

It's good to see that lots of folks are sporting great numbers today.

Woke up with a bit of headache and higher numbers than usual this morning. Maybe went a bit low overnight (lots of walking and exercise and little food yesterday) and the liver kicking in trying to be helpful. Of course no way of knowing unless you have a continuous blood glucose monitor. So, anyway 5.6 today, down a bit after breakfast and two espressos with cream.

@Bubbsie -- When I read about your experience with the nosy pharmacist, my jaw dropped. This is shocking. Well done complaining about this.
@HarrisonK -- Hope you'll be seen soon and it turns out to be nothing. Definitely a a very uncomfortable and anxiety-provoking situation to be in.
@Ziggy2017 -- Here's hoping the inhaler will help und you start feeling better soon. Hugs!

@shelley 262 -- Thanks for helpful comment and insight. Agree, it could have also been the stress. Usually though after a stressful day blood sugars tend to settle quite quickly and behave normally. On the day in question, though, they were decidedly wonky and did not behave as usual (i.e. they dropped when they usually go up and went up when they usually go down -- very confusing). It always surprises me how differently we seem to react to fasting.
Thanks Ziggy...I'm waiting for them to call me...I will also address it formally in writing...I have to collect the rest of my prescription in the next couple of days...TBH I am so loathe to return there...if I encounter her that day...I will certainly make my feelings known.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ziggy...I'm waiting for them to call me...I will also address it formally in writing...I have to collect the rest of my prescription in the next couple of days...TBH I am so loathe to return there...if I encounter her that day...I will certainly make my feelings known.

Understandibly, I'd be loathe to ever return to this pharmacy again. What happened to your old pharmacy? Were they just closed for the day?

Anyway, well done taking the complaint further. I think way too many people don't bother complaining -- but if no one complains, nothing ever changes, does it?

I'd have to say this woman (didn't you say the pharmacist was a she) should not work in job interacting with people at all, in my opinion. Really shocking behavior.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Understandibly, I'd be loathe to ever return to this pharmacy again. What happened to your old pharmacy? Were they just closed for the day?

Anyway, well done taking the complaint further. I think way too many people don't bother complaining -- but if no one complains, nothing ever changes, does it?

I'd have to say this woman (didn't you say the pharmacist was a she) should not work in job interacting with people at all, in my opinion. Really shocking behavior.
I usually use a small independent chemist in a nearby village...the road leading to it was closed...I would have happily walked the short distance to it but there was nowhere to park my car...so I had to use an alternative...ordinarily I would have said I'm not prepared to discuss that with you...would have assured her I have regular blood tests...I think she took me by surprise TBH Ziggy...she was not at all apologetic...thought what she did was perfectly acceptable.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I hope someone is going to have a talk with her. I'm sure privacy laws and data protection also apply to pharmacies.

Reactions: Cumberland

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's quite bizarre how we are told so little initially Harrison...a biopsy is normally dealt with on a pathway...we should be seen in 2 weeks...have whatever procedure necessary ASAP...then the results all within the six week limit...I think sometimes the urgency of the situation without a full explanation of how the system works causes more anxiety ..understandably.

It certainly helps when someone tells you what is about to happen. It's funny as I was cleared of any colon cancer during my routine check a couple of months back, and that was the one that I was worried about, not breast cancer. Took my mind off my bloods for a bit ;)

Last edited:

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been stuck in hospital with partner all day so didnt eat all day. Sugar been dropping all day I think my basal is too high much oops! Ill choose 4.8 as fasting but didn't eat since 11pm lastnight until 7pm tonight

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It certainly helps when someone tells you what is about to happen. It's funny as I was cleared of any colon cancer during my routine check a couple of months back, and that was the one that I was worried about, not breast cancer. Took my mind off my bloods for a bit ;)
Hope the news is positive Harrison.

Reactions: karen8967