Cgms On Nhs

Oscar_Emms

So I am presuming we all know what a cgm is however I will briefly explain for any newly diagnosed or anyone who does not know. CGMs are continues glucose monitors which allow you to check your blood sugar levels with only two Bluetooth devices. we have all wanted these on the NHS funding for a fair few years now however I do believe it's on it's way!! Obviously this is not confirmed yet but I have had my annual review today which went amazing g and my consultant started talking about the availability of CGMs on NHS funding, she said she thinks within the next 6 months CGMs will be available for any young persons. I do believe it's the freestyle libre but it may be the dexcom not sure as of yet. I will try to milk out as much as I can from my diabetes team and will update the topic as soon as possible

Reactions: flexi06

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the update I too want the cgm as I think it will help make my life seem as normal as possible!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m assuming you’re in England or Scotland? FreeStyle Libre is already approved in all areas of Wales and Northern Ireland.

Hope you get the soon, wherever you are - it’s been a lifesaver for me (and many others here) :)

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s great you could have funded cgm soon:) My daughter has had dexcom funded here in Wales for the past year or so. We’re moving from g5 to g6 in 10 days!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My area has said this too (that they are on their way) but only for those type 1's 'who have severe hypo's and are not managing their diabetes very well'. That would probably rule out most people on this site if true.

Oscar_Emms

Well my consultant has said that me and others like me who manage there diabetes well will be on the top of the list so it looks like actually getting a cgm is now going to be more up to your diabetes team than the government which is good for some I guess but bad for some also. Hopefully we should all get a chance to get a cgm if wanted

Norwich1947

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We live in the South East and my son was offered the freestyle libre on a six month trial. It has really made a difference. So thankful it has been funded by the NHS