whats type 3

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hi whats type 3 i am a type 1 but i am being checked to see if i have another rare type like type 3

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Just to emphasise, type 3 and type 3c are very different things, type 3 refers to Alzheimer's and 3c is usually because of a damaged or incapacitated pancreas and needs special monitoring because of on going degradation, as far as I know bearing in mind I'm not a doctor, just a malingering sufferer.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @GlitterSparkles ,

Hope you & your dad are in good spirits?

I'm sure it's just a diligent doctor covering all angles in order to get the best care you could possibly have for your diabetes.

Kind regards to your family.

J>

Reactions: Manfrediwife

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 3 or Type 111 refers to other types of diabetes (other than T1,T2 and gestational) It includes diabetes caused by different genetic conditions, diseases, damage to the pancreas, infections, drug induced. There are a lot of different known causes, some extremely rare.

A World Health commitee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes (think it was 1999) used 4 sections, other types was section 3 and that was subdivided into 3a to 3h.
The Americans version ( which was easier to find edit : it has a link to the WHO version which was 1997) uses the same classification but a Roman 111 rather than a 3. It has sections A-H
see table 1 Etiologic classification of diabetes mellitus
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/suppl_1/s5#T1

The only one that seems to have ever been used much is 3c for diseases of the exocrine pancreas. e.g. MODY tends to be called MODY not 3a.
Later researchers suggested that alzheimers may also be another form of diabetes .I don't know though whether, whoever first suggested it realised that there were already many different types under the T3 heading

Last edited:

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Type 3 is called Alzheimer 's diabetes, google it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @GlitterSparkles the good thing is your team sounds like they are covering everything and making sure you are getting the right treatment to help you manage, please let us know how you get on and try not to worry about it until you know more.

Uncle Tony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, how do you know if your diabetes is caused by one of these conditions? I've only ever had a blood test for HbA1c and serums!

Reactions: GinnyIckle

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have only ever seen the Diabetic Nurse at the Surgery so unsure how they would find out if had type 3..never been on a course never seen the Doctor about Diabetes I used to be a Psychiatric Nurse so maybe they think I do not need to see any one else

Leigh1976

Just to emphasise, type 3 and type 3c are very different things, type 3 refers to Alzheimer's and 3c is usually because of a damaged or incapacitated pancreas and needs special monitoring because of on going degradation, as far as I know bearing in mind I'm not a doctor, just a malingering sufferer.
My dad has type 3 c after having his pancreas removed plus several other organs there is hardly any info on this condition

Reactions: Rachel_H and Arber

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am type 3E that is drug induced diabetes through long term use of steroids.