None
How to do I go back to injections from
A pump

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take the pump out, inject the insulin from a pen every so often :)

More practically? One to plan with a DSN - you need to work out which basal insulin you're going to use, how much and when (eg morning/evening, one or two doses a day). The bolus shouldn't be too different though.

Frequent measuring would seem to be important though.

What happens if your pump dies? Don't you have to prepare for that anyway?

Reactions: gemma_T1
D

Deleted Account

I was forced to go back to injecting when my pump died.
As @evilclive suggests, I had backup pens and remembered my dosage. So started injecting just as I used to.
Dosage for injecting is typically different to the pump so you need to know your injecting doses, ratios, etc.
One annoying thing was that I had to start my long acting insulin (Lantus) as soon as my pump failed so it was an odd time of the day. If you are choosing to go back to injections, you can chose what time you want to take it.

If you do not have a backup to your pump, regardless whether you want to go back to injecting, you must arrange something as soon as possible. Your pump can fail at any time and you will need basal insulin. You can not rely on your DSN being available or a pharmacist being open.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I went back from a Medtronic pump after years of using it and now use the Echo pen. I was fine for a long time but then it all went out of control. I was placed back on Levemir and Novorapid and i was fine very quickly after that. You need to speak to your care team as it needs planning.