Eating alone and injecting in a restraunt how?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This topic has been quiet for a while.
I used to inject in public, but after abuse being thrown out of shopping malls ,by security and police (on seperate occasions) - the Police said they would charge me with disturbing the peace if I didn't clear off, not for taking drugs. I'm now on a pump so not a problem, but I look at it this way, we are a very small minority. We don't have lobby group or human rights lawyers crawling all over us like ethnic minority's do, so abuse it and you will lose it. We have a lot rights even 10 year ago we didn't have. Annoy enough people and we will rapidly start to lose what we have. There is a lot stigma, although unfounded, I don't think rubbing peoples faces in it will help at all. I'm for education, but we don't educate this way.

Personal experiences (a few highlights)
Work Collegues
-I don't want to sit near you (work lunch) as you do disgusting things and I don't like needles.
-Why don't you donate your kidneys, eyes and heart NOW as you are only going to destroy them
-Don't shoot up near me

Strangers in public places
Thrown out of shopping complex's twice
Woman in full Burqa stood and screamed at me (not certain what she was screaming as it wasn't in English)

The opposite.
There was a boss I had in a new company. One of my team was a very big Diva. He got me to give an education session including showing a fully loaded pen, she objected , but was made to attend. An amazing boss and a really good person.

If I ever went back to MDI I'm a loo injector.

Good Grief! Where an earth do you live?

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do it to live so i'll do it wherever i want ...if somebody doesnt like it ...tough ****

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think there are plenty of reasons not to inject in a loo and most people would be horrified if a nurse or GP took them to the surgery’s loo for their vaccinations.
I’ve only ever had one adverse response when I’ve injected in a public space. It was about 25 years ago, on a train, before pens. I got out the syringe, pulled up the dose from a vial and then injected in my leg; the middle aged woman sitting opposite turned to her husband and quietly, disapprovingly, said ‘junkie’. I smiled inwardly and didn’t disagree though I now wish I had.
When testing with the accucheck though I do ask people who are close if it will worry them, so far no one’s said it would.
Go ahead and test, and inject, at the table. If you’re near to others, ask if it worries them, and explain why you’re doing it.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've never left my table to inject. I did once have another customer come over to me and ask that I not do that again since their friend had a needle phobia - I don't think I argued, but I reckoned that we were sufficiently unlikely to meet again that "I'll think about it" would do as an answer :)

I'd tell that nosy busybody to mind their own business and get lost. In those exact words. The needle isn't going into them, ***, they should grow up. I don't inject in the public toilets due to hygiene. I used to shoot through my shirt into my belly but ruined too many shirts that way from the occasional blood as I withdrew the needles, and now, as I grow older, I not only feel entitled to shoot up whereever I please, including at my desk at work or at the movies, any anyone who has a problem with it needs to get lost. I do it circumspectly, often under the table, and can do it with one hand, but if someone's monitoring my actions, that's their problem if they get offended by someone simply doing what's necessary for them to remain being alive. I'm not a junkie, I'm legally disabled, and I have a right to not risk my health by sequestering myself in a disgusting place and literally injecting a needle next to fecal matter, which could result in an infection and far worse than jabbing through a shirt or pant leg (jeans are often too thick for my shorter needles to even get the insulin where it needs to be, so that's not an option). Not to mention potentially missing out on interesting conversation. I often have to take multiple injections during the course of a larger meal, and have to go to the bathroom enough as it is already. It's also quite disgusting to prick my finger in the toilet, which is literally an open wound that deliberately bleeds. I'm a master at testing my sugars surreptitiously, but if someone notices, too bad for them.

I'm already disadvantaged enough by this debilitating condition that I have zero patience for such obnoxious snowflakery.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm the opposite to all you guys, I have many times used a public restroom to take my injection, not over a toilet mind, just in the room, I have had a inferiority complex regarding taking my insulin infront of people incase they say something about it, bright orange pen and all... recently I really don't give a **** and take it where I please, albeit discreet..

I try to be discreet too, but find myself caring less and less over time. Junkies are not my problem and how society treats them or views their hobby is not my fault.

I've felt far more self-conscious about someone walking into a public restroom and seeing me inject myself at the sink than I ever have anywhere else. Junkies often get high in public bathrooms and don't care. They make our lives harder through prejudice and guilt by association. People who shoot up for fun are the ____ of the ____ IMO. I do it to survive, and don't have a choice. But I'm a respectable person, and unlike them, don't deserve (or appreciate) society conflating our two "conditions".

One thing about being mistreated by cops: don't follow this advice and get belligerent with them. Ever. They can make your life hell and type 1 diabetics can and often do die while locked up, without free access to their meds or sugar pills. Just apologize and walk away. Proving a point to them or yourself isn't worth risking your life over it.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When first diagnosed and having to draw insulin from a bottle I'd hide in a loo, but had grief from a bouncer for the pleasure, he didn't like the look of a syringe, since then I've done it at the table, don't like? Don't look.....

Going thru clothing? Have you ever emptied a hole punch?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow just seen this after the weekend, never expected such a diverse range of answers.

Anyway for the record I ordered and took my jab in the toilets, after informing the waiter I was popping to the toilets.

Why did I do that? Well i was on a syringe and vial for about 40 years until December 17, so it's just habit i guess.

Reactions: slip
D

Deleted Account

I have always said there is a big difference between injecting "in public" and injecting "publicly".
When I was first diagnosed, I was a bit self conscious but soon got used to it.
I just don't make a fuss and get on with it.
I have colleagues who sat opposite me for 2 years and didn't realise I had diabetes.
On the other hand, I have realised I have a needle top in my mouth as I am talking at the dinner table because I was so unself conscious about injecting, I pretty much forgot about what I was doing.
I have shared hotel rooms with strangers (on a singles holiday) and one of them told me not to inject in front of her because she had a needle phobia. So I would just tell her to look away when I was injecting. This seemed to work fine. Sometimes she would carry on reading sometimes she would get around to doing something she was going to do elsewhere anyway (e.g. take a photo from the hotel balcony).

Reactions: Dodo

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys a strange one here, later today I will be leaving work early so have a few hours to kill before I meet friends to see a show, thing is there is a restaurant I really fancy trying, eating on my own in a restaurant doesn't bother me.

What does is that once I order and go away to take my jab the waiters may think I've left and cancel the food as the table will be empty for that time. How do people deal with this, injecting in public is not an option due to clothing and the fact I use my leg.
I usually inject at the table now having once injected and then told 10 minutes later that there was not going to be any food, chef didn’t turn up! Thank goodness for glucotabs!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was awesome actually, BGL 5.5 pre meal and 6.6 post 1hr and 5.5 post 3 3hrs so all in all a good night.

That's a fantastic result, text book result :woot:.............so what did you eat?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a fantastic result, text book result :woot:.............so what did you eat?

Shamelessly copied from their website:

https://temperrestaurant.com/temper-covent-garden/

GRILLED SPRING CHICKEN
Verbena harissa, yellow peppers, olives, lemon
BEEF FAT POTATOES
Mozzarella, sage and black pepper
GRILLED COURGETTE ( VG )
Grilled courgette, thyme and msg

Oh and a double JD and diet coke - lol

Funniest thing was a bunch of girls sat on the table opp me when all this arrived food arrived, one of of them pipped up are you gonna eat all that?????

Reactions: porl69 and Dodo

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think in this day and age with everyone’s rights, no one would get away with criticising someone injecting at a table. There would be hell to pay. Trial by social media and all that.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys a strange one here, later today I will be leaving work early so have a few hours to kill before I meet friends to see a show, thing is there is a restaurant I really fancy trying, eating on my own in a restaurant doesn't bother me.

What does is that once I order and go away to take my jab the waiters may think I've left and cancel the food as the table will be empty for that time. How do people deal with this, injecting in public is not an option due to clothing and the fact I use my leg.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I always inject at the table. I am a type 1 diabetic after all and not hiding it. All the people at the table would be aware of this. It depends on what i am wearing. If i am in a dress in inject in my thigh. If I have a jumper on i will inject in the belly. Nothing to be ashamed off. If people have something to say about it they can lump it.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am with you @maria030660 I also inject at the table. Been T1D all my life and defo got nothing to hide. I need to do it to live. And no way would I inject in a public loo....ewwww :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Reactions: Fairygodmother

bmtest

This is a classic problem and one that you will always be faced with here are some tips
- If all else fails inject after
- do you like the toilets are they clean
- how much cover is there use pillar or quiet table so few see
- do you know your blood sugar level, you might not need to inject till after.
-test before you enter & if you have the bottle inject a proportion of dose before, but if long wait for food you will be caught out and after eat reserve stock of anti hypo stuff you have to hand
-have you a cold with raised levels if so enter into restaurant with half decent blood sugar
-if you really enjoy the food and you like eating get the blood sugar level to safe low reading timing is everything, amd gorge through food in enjoyment
- be thankful you have a injection pen prior to them coming out i used glass and metal syringe which was tricky.

Problems such as this should not cause that much confusion but they do its hassle but its a straighforward routine and like people have said inject through clothing if you are particular with exact timings.

Good Luck

-