Travelling Abroad For The First Time Since Diagnosis

Blueymummy_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
After some advice please.... I’m flying to Greece in a week or so and have bought myself a couple of Frio pouches for my insulin but I’m a little confused about getting through the airport with insulin.
I’ve read that it should be in a clear plastic bag, so do I put the Frio bag inside one of the clear plastic bags or wait to use the Frio until I’m through the security check.
I’m carrying a novopen echo with my novorapid in a cartridge and tresiba in the pre filled pen.
Can’t believe how much stuff I’m going to have to take for one week!

Reactions: Jayden2407
D

Deleted Account

I would wait until you have passed security before using the Frio wallets.
In addition to allowing you to put the liquids in a clear bag, I avoid “charging” Frio as this causes it to be a gel which may upset the security guys.

Reactions: Dodo

Jayden2407

Hi,
After some advice please.... I’m flying to Greece in a week or so and have bought myself a couple of Frio pouches for my insulin but I’m a little confused about getting through the airport with insulin.
I’ve read that it should be in a clear plastic bag, so do I put the Frio bag inside one of the clear plastic bags or wait to use the Frio until I’m through the security check.
I’m carrying a novopen echo with my novorapid in a cartridge and tresiba in the pre filled pen.

We are also traveling to Majorca in 5 weeks for the first time since my 10 year old son was diagnosed type 1 5 weeks ago, the amount of “extra” baggage you have to take is a lot isn’t it! I’ve bought him a medicool dia-pak pouch which is slightly bigger than the Frio pouches. I would say put them in the pouch to keep cool while at the airport then take out before going through security that way the insulin will keep cool and only be out of the pouch a little while.

Have a lovely holiday!

Reactions: Blueymummy_

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been abroad before (to the US) all I needed was a letter in case but I only needed it going through security. No need to put insulin in separate bags

Pattidevans

I travel by air frequently. Put your insulin in your frio to travel, then when passing through security just take it out and put it into the clear plastic bag. Your Frio will not cause a problem even if it is charged. Once past security put the insulin back into the Frio. In fact twice I have forgotten to take it out and the insulin has not been detected sitting comfy in it's Frio pouch in my hand baggage.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would wait until you have passed security before using the Frio wallets.
In addition to allowing you to put the liquids in a clear bag, I avoid “charging” Frio as this causes it to be a gel which may upset the security guys.
Don't worry about putting your Frio pouches into a plastic bag, just tell security that you have insulin in your handbag and you shouldn't have any problems. I've literally travelled all over the world with insulin in Frio pouches and no-one has ever asked to see it, or my letter from my GP listing my medication. Enjoy your holiday!

parentjoe

Hi,

Hi

My young son is type 1 and we’ve been to some amazing places all over the world. It’s all about routine. I always have a travel pack made up (less insulin) and I keep it in the medicine cabinet ready to go rather than pack every time. It’s not as much as you think once you really drill down what you need. Easy to take too much.
Also vital to take a second kit carried separately. I got to Florida after 10 hours traveling a few years ago and the insulin got lost somewhere in Miami airport. Walgreens charged me $900 for a bottle of Nova rapid after a doctor charged me $200 for a prescription. Since then I always carry two sets.
Frio bags are fine in customs, you just need to put them through the scanner separately. Always carry doctors letter and if you are on pump allways print out the settings
By getting organised you can have the same holiday as everyone else.

Bigpaul62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been using insulin for just over a month. 2 weeks ago we flew to Alicante. I went onto the Ryan Air website to check. All I needed was a letter from my doctor informing of my medication. I informed the security staff as I waited for the security check and the just said that's fine we don't count insulin. I also took double my insulin and drugs with me and kept them with me at all times. No problem.

Paul Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Hey there, my experience flying from the UK all over Europe on holiday is that you can leave your insulin in the frio pouch just put it in the tray to go through the scanners.
I fly very frequently for work too and I’ve never had an issue with them saying it needs to be in a plastic bag.
You’ll be absolutely fine.
I’ve flown 4 times this year so far and have always left my insulin pens in the frio pouch.
I usually give the security guys a nod and say I’m diabetic and my insulin is in this.
They turn to me and say no problem every time.

Happy holidays and hope you have a lovely time.

Paul Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only been using insulin for just over a month. 2 weeks ago we flew to Alicante. I went onto the Ryan Air website to check. All I needed was a letter from my doctor informing of my medication. I informed the security staff as I waited for the security check and the just said that's fine we don't count insulin. I also took double my insulin and drugs with me and kept them with me at all times. No problem.

Hey there, it’s merely a precaution. But I’ve never ever had a letter with me and never had a problem.
I’ve been a T1D for 27 years now. Lots of holidays and business trips

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
I v been travelling with my insulin the past 20 years and dont have too much trouble you really dont have to keep your pens cool as they are ok for a month before going off the only time i had trouble was going through canadian customs/security even then they let me keep the insulin last time i flew to usa my insulin was lost at heathrow when i got to my destination i had to go to a walk in clinic it cost me £150 to see a doctor for a prescription and like another person had to pay wallgreens it cost me £350 for 4 pens when i got back i claimed off my travel insurance if you carry a doctors note or copy of uk prescription and declare everything you should be alright

Paul Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I v been travelling with my insulin the past 20 years and dont have too much trouble you really dont have to keep your pens cool as they are ok for a month before going off the only time i had trouble was going through canadian customs/security even then they let me keep the insulin last time i flew to usa my insulin was lost at heathrow when i got to my destination i had to go to a walk in clinic it cost me £150 to see a doctor for a prescription and like another person had to pay wallgreens it cost me £350 for 4 pens when i got back i claimed off my travel insurance if you carry a doctors note or copy of uk prescription and declare everything you should be alright
Great advice. I always carry my pens in my hand luggage. I don’t trust the airlines with my bags. Lol.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't put your insulin in hold luggage.
Luggage can get very cold in the hold and official guidelines are to keep it in hand luggage.
I've travelled quite extensively with insulin, and have never been stopped and asked for a Drs letter or prescription, and that includes countries in the Middle East famous for being very strict about which medications they allow into the country. The other thing is, for a week long holiday, depending on dosages, how much in the way of supplies do you really need? It is easy to overestimate. For a week I would take one of each pen(I'm on 2) a handful of needles and my test kit and a small tube of glucose tabs. Thats it, no need to go mad..............

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don't put anything you're not prepared to lose in hold luggage :)

I've travelled quite extensively with insulin, and have never been stopped and asked for a Drs letter or prescription

I did once have the cabin crew get a bit shirty about the pen, saying I could attack them with it, but not had any problem for a while - though I do have the very dog-eared doctor's letter just in case.

The other thing is, for a week long holiday, depending on dosages, how much in the way of supplies do you really need? It is easy to overestimate. For a week I would take one of each pen(I'm on 2) a handful of needles and my test kit and a small tube of glucose tabs. Thats it, no need to go mad..............

A week = about 35 needles at 5 a day, I'd take 50-60 for safety - eg in case I need lots of corrections. I'd take a spare vial of each insulin, or a spare pen if on prefilled. Probably a spare sensor these days - I did knock one off and felt somewhat lost without it. Enough test strips too. But this is all still hardly anything.

I'm moderately paranoid about the amount of food I carry around too, though this is also related to my holidays generally being active and outdoors, not next to any convenient supplies.

Tswa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey! I travel a lot, type 1 with a pump (and backup needles novorapid etc). Last time I did long haul I didn't even bother with my Friobag, I shoved insulin into a Tupperware with a little icepack thing (not touching, don't want to freeze the insulin!) and had no problems. I even asked the air crew if I could put it in the fridge on the plane and they said yes and did it. :) Airport staff and aircrew are super used to diabetics, so don't panic about it. Its a good idea to have a letter with you from your doctor explaining the various bits and pieces you have on you, but I've travelled to Bali, Ireland, Dubai, London, Spain, Hungary, Scotland, and New Zealand with the letters and haven't used them once.

eric48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I go abroad at least twice a year and have no problems going through security. Went to Spain last week and always put my insulin pens in my Frio and tablets in my hand luggage together with a letter from my doctor and my prescription and leave it all in my hand luggage through the scanner never been stopped yet . Never put insulin in the hold of the plane

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty simple but a faff ... sometimes they take the gel pouches to test them so now i seperate the whole shabang and put everything in clear bags even of course my insulin. I go through fastrack where things are generally quieter and it takes the anx away .

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I've travelled all over the Europe and US/Canada. I always keep my medication in a rucksack that I keep with me - never put your insulin in the hold of plane. I've never used frio pouches although I suspect its good advice to do so. I have a letter from my GP that is now nearly 20 years old - I have never needed it. I have regularly travelled to the greek islands and found the authorities there fairly relaxed. Enjoy your holiday.

Paul Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luggage can get very cold in the hold and official guidelines are to keep it in hand luggage.
I've travelled quite extensively with insulin, and have never been stopped and asked for a Drs letter or prescription, and that includes countries in the Middle East famous for being very strict about which medications they allow into the country. The other thing is, for a week long holiday, depending on dosages, how much in the way of supplies do you really need? It is easy to overestimate. For a week I would take one of each pen(I'm on 2) a handful of needles and my test kit and a small tube of glucose tabs. Thats it, no need to go mad..............
Hi there, I’m the same.
Meds, meter, glycogel or tabs and spare needles.
I do take one of each spare insulin pens tho. Just in case.