Freestyle Libre Price Has Increased

Sydodyas

As incensed as I was that despite being type 1 for 28 years , the NHS wont fund me the Freestyle Libre, I managed to budget the £35 per sensor at Superdrug. Well today I was shocked to discover that Abbott have forced Superdrug to increase the price to £40 a sensor.

Am ******* *** to say the least

Edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As incensed as I was that despite being type 1 for 28 years , the NHS wont fund me the Freestyle Libre, I managed to budget the £35 per sensor at Superdrug. Well today I was shocked to discover that Abbott have forced Superdrug to increase the price to £40 a sensor.

It's still cheaper than anywhere else if it helps - I don't have a local Superdrug so get mine from Asda at 44quid each.

Sydodyas

This thing should be becoming cheaper, not more expensive. Especially considering the vast majority of NHS trusts are telling Diabetics where to go

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... that Abbott have forced Superdrug to increase the price to £40 a sensor.
Are you sure Abbott have 'forced' Superdrug to increase their price? I've not heard that Abbott are responsible for this.

I think the Pharmacy's head office set the price and notify the shop pharmacies. Selling at £35, ie Superdrug price, was the price they bought them in at hence making no profit on them. I suspect their original pricing of £35 was a strategic decision to gain the custom and now, having established clientele, have decided to increase the price, I would have thought that was good business strategy, although not so good for the customer.

It will be interesting to learn, at some point, what really goes on behind the scenes and who tells who what to do ;)

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Sydodyas

Are you sure Abbott have 'forced' Superdrug to increase their price? I've not heard that Abbott are responsible for this.

I think the Pharmacy's head office set the price and notify the shop pharmacies. Selling at £35, ie Superdrug price, was the price they bought them in at hence making no profit on them. I suspect their original pricing of £35 was a strategic decision to gain the custom and now, having established clientele, have decided to increase the price, I would have thought that was good business strategy, although not so good for the customer.

It will be interesting to learn, at some point, what really goes on behind the scenes and who tells who what to do ;)
That’s what they told me, Abbott forced it apparently. Not sure if I believe them

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s what they told me, Abbott forced it apparently. Not sure if I believe them
I do believe you, in that they told you that. It's often difficult to get to the truth, eh? Next time I'm in Superdrug getting Sensors, I'll have to ask (if the time is right etc) Generally, head office send out a 'directive' as to the price to be sold at, as far as I know so where that decision is generated is anyone's guess.

Apologies if I offended you - certainly wasn't my intention :)

Ack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do believe you, in that they told you that. It's often difficult to get to the truth, eh? Next time I'm in Superdrug getting Sensors, I'll have to ask (if the time is right etc) Generally, head office send out a 'directive' as to the price to be sold at, as far as I know so where that decision is generated is anyone's guess.

Apologies if I offended you - certainly wasn't my intention :)
Now £42 in Aberdeen.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now £42 in Aberdeen.

NHS Grampian has recently decided to follow the SHTG advice to put libre on script, so you might be due some good news soon.

I've attached their policy statement on it.

Attachments

• NHS-Grampian_FreeStyle-Libre-September-2018.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 677

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Now £42 in Aberdeen.
Just jumped onto the end of this thread but if that includes VAT and you're a T1 you can pay nett of VAT making it £35.00

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Wife walked into local Superdrug this morning and they quoted her £42 per sensor excluding VAT but when the cashier rang it up on the till it jump to £49.95, pharmacist suggested they have put the price up again due to high demand.

As my wife said you have had high demand due to being the cheapest. They will go from high demand to very little demand. I will be checking in with ASDA tonight to see if they are still selling them at £44.

I had been buying them at £35 until recently and in the space of a few weeks it seems they have gone from £35 - £40 - £42 - £49.95

If I can't get them for less then £50 then it makes Dexcom a serious alternative. I had recently invested in the MiaoMiao, smartwatch and setup Nightscout at to get CGM benefits from the Libre with the expectation that eventually our local CCG will start funding the Libre on prescription.

Ack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No that was with the vat deducted.
One of the requirements to qualify for the entitlement to be prescribed the freestyle libre in Grampian,is to have completed the DIANE course .Fine ,just get your name on that list NOW, to do this course,i.e. months waiting time for places. Hopefully more availability will arrive with more courses,in the near future. This money saving,health improving, device should be immediately available to all.If it's good enough for the person who runs our whole country , it's good enough for me. P.S. wonder if she had to complete the DIANE course.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I have just posted on another thread that i paid today already £42 for one sensor and of today the price will increase to £48 at Superdrug in Angel, Islington.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Wife walked into local Superdrug this morning and they quoted her £42 per sensor excluding VAT but when the cashier rang it up on the till it jump to £49.95, pharmacist suggested they have put the price up again due to high demand.

As my wife said you have had high demand due to being the cheapest. They will go from high demand to very little demand. I will be checking in with ASDA tonight to see if they are still selling them at £44.

I had been buying them at £35 until recently and in the space of a few weeks it seems they have gone from £35 - £40 - £42 - £49.95

If I can't get them for less then £50 then it makes Dexcom a serious alternative. I had recently invested in the MiaoMiao, smartwatch and setup Nightscout at to get CGM benefits from the Libre with the expectation that eventually our local CCG will start funding the Libre on prescription.

Local ASDA have confirmed that they are £44 so no price change since they started selling them. Two ordered.

daddavid

Am ******* *** to say the least

Edited by moderator for language
It's shot up further now- to £49.95 from £35 about a month ago. I just bought 3 of them at the St Paul's branch in London. That makes them practically the same price as from Freestyle. That really hurts as our local GP NHS trust is currently not supporting it in Haringey, N London

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
It's shot up further now- to £49.95 from £35 about a month ago. I just bought 3 of them at the St Paul's branch in London. That makes them practically the same price as from Freestyle. That really hurts as our local GP NHS trust is currently not supporting it in Haringey, N London

Same here, Haringey CCG and also Islington CCG are forever in the finalising implementation plans stage.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...q&ll=53.043527083160726,0.984183096353263&z=6

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if Superdrug realise how many customers they have lost with their mammoth price increase.