Testing levels

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Hi all, how often do you test during the day, I test moring and night, occasionally another thrown in, just wondered x

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi all, how often do you test during the day, I test moring and night, occasionally another thrown in, just wondered x
I do a fasting test first up, then before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested first thing in the morning and before and 2 hours after each meal for about 6 months by which time my HbA1c was in the normal range. I now test first thing in the morning and before and after main meal. I want to keep in the normal range.

DavidSilvaOlè

Ive been testing for a couple of months now and test 4 times per day every 4 hours after I’ve eaten. I’m feeling so much better for it and the app My Sugr has been a godsend and such a motivator to keep eating well to make sure I am inputting good BG readings.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested before and after eating as those are the figures I can influence by alteration in what I ate.
I got my morning meal sorted and stayed under 8mmol/l then did the same for evening meal - there was more variation in that.
Once at less than 8 I only tested after eating, dropped below 7 and stopped testing as I thought that I'd got it sorted. My Hba1c is at the top end of normal, and I did an evening check the other day and got 5.7 which seems to indicate continuing OK.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally up to 7 times a day depending on the number of meals I choose to eat, so, fasting ( just for info) and immediately before and two hours after starting each meal. But I'm not too fussed if I miss any of these as I pretty well know now how my body responds to my diet.

I'll sometimes test at other times for various reasons - new or a bit too much carby food, stress, new or stopping medication (e.g. steroids), illness etc. It depends on what I think might be adversely affecting my glucose levels so I know what's going on and what if anything I can do about it. I believe it's an individual/ personal choice, and depends entirely on what you are testing for.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I test 6 times a day as a general rule even though my HbA1c has been under diabetic level for over 4 years.
I'm also not too fussed if I miss any of my tests as my levels rarely vary unless I'm experimenting.
Testing keeps me motivated. I know this because sometimes I have a week or two off testing to give my fingers a treat, and that is when the devil arrives on one shoulder having a fight with the angel on my other shoulder. ;)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I test 6 times a day as a general rule even though my HbA1c has been under diabetic level for over 4 years.
I'm also not too fussed if I miss any of my tests as my levels rarely vary unless I'm experimenting.
Testing keeps me motivated. I know this because sometimes I have a week or two off testing to give my fingers a treat, and that is when the devil arrives on one shoulder having a fight with the angel on my other shoulder. ;)
Yes I thought I'd got it all under control and stopped testing and then realized I had a devil on both shoulders... back to the routine

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I thought I'd got it all under control and stopped testing and then realized I had a devil on both shoulders... back to the routine

Yes, so easy to get complacent, fall off the wagon and end up where we started. Frequent testing should stop this happening.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t test all that often nowadays, but when I do it’ll be 5 or 6 times in a day.

I don’t think I will get complacent. I never used to have any willpower but being diagnosed seems to have awakened that in me.

Reactions: Sirmione

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
As a T2 not on meds I tend to do two do two weeks of fairly intensive testing then have a month off

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Now in remission I don't feel I need to as the diet I follow is very regimented and I know me more than anyone,very occasionally i'll check in with a 2 hour after a heavy dinner once a week.It can all be very obsessive.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I test on waking, before my evening meal and 2 hours after that. There is no point in me doing more as I am on steroids that put it all to pot as I take them with breakfast. I know my sugars are back to normal when I test just before my evening meal