HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi
I'm type 2 I control my BG just diet but I want to know what kinds of insulin and how they working anyone have any information
Thanks

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theres also mixed insulins too - Humulin M3 or novomix 30 for example, 30% fast acting and 70% slow acting - usually taken twice a day at breakfast and evening meal. I think there are also different percentages available.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi and thank you for help can any diabetes who using actrapid and mixtrad or mixtard mix too sometime ?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I am T2 & on Basal Insulin 40 units a day plus lots of other meds.
I'm sorry for this quisten but are you keeping your diabetic under control with insulin ? because US we know type 2 they don't have problem with insulin but with insulin resistance

Last edited:

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I'm type 2 I control my BG just diet but I want to know what kinds of insulin and how they working anyone have any information
Thanks
there are basically 3 types

pork ( porcine ) natural product that is slow acting

human - which is misnamed as it is nothing to do with humans and is artificial - some people can't tolerate it ( myself included )

analogue - genetically modified human insulin

both "human " and analogue are faster acting

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
human - which is misnamed as it is nothing to do with humans and is artificial - some people can't tolerate it ( myself included )
Hi and thank you
please Could you please explain more

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
there are basically 3 types

pork ( porcine ) natural product that is slow acting

analogue - genetically modified human insulin

both "human " and analogue are faster acting

That depends on what you mean by slow and fast. I'm on Hypurin Bovine insulins, and the fast acting starts working after 25 - 30 min. The slow acting, though, starts working after 1.5 - 2 hours, and lasts for about 30 hours. Feel fine with these, but unfortunately the Bovine-kind is soon not to be sold anymore...:arghh:

Edited to add: P.S. I forgot to say that the fast-acting Porcine has a similar action curve as Bovine, but the long-acting does not...

Last edited:

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again
I Mean some people can't tolerate it Why ?

Why is a good question - I wonder if there is a good answer at all, because the reactions differ. I lost my hunger-feelings, when I changed to Human insulin. As far as I remember, there had been tests on lab-rats, and about 3% of the rats had the same reaction as I had...Never got lethargic, though - that happened with Lantus for me...

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That depends on what you mean by slow and fast. I'm on Hypurin Bovine insulins, and the fast acting starts working after 25 - 30 min. The slow acting, though, starts working after 1.5 - 2 hours, and lasts for about 30 hours. Feel fine with these, but unfortunately the Bovine-kind is soon not to be sold anymore...:arghh:

Edited to add: P.S. I forgot to say that the fast-acting Porcine has a similar action curve as Bovine, but the long-acting does not...
sorry what i meant was that the animal has a slow action , ie it lasts a long time compared with the artificial insulin , i am on a pump and only take the "fast acting " but the period it lasts for is a lot longer than the artificial

why not change to the porcine , that will be available for the foreseeable future

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry what i meant was that the animal has a slow action , ie it lasts a long time compared with the artificial insulin , i am on a pump and only take the "fast acting " but the period it lasts for is a lot longer than the artificial

why not change to the porcine , that will be available for the foreseeable future

I see - very true...
I'm going to change to Porcine, but there is still a big but - I get my insulins for free, but Hypurin Porcine Isophane is still not approved as "no cost" insulin. Should bee approved later, though...
Nice to see that someone here goes for the really "old school", except for me, also:)

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see - very true...
I'm going to change to Porcine, but there is still a big but - I get my insulins for free, but Hypurin Porcine Isophane is still not approved as "no cost" insulin. Should bee approved later, though...
Nice to see that someone here goes for the really "old school", except for me, also:)
not sure where you are but i am in uk and i was on neutral and porcine isophane injections for about 8 years before going on the pump 4 years ago and the nhs covered the cost of both no problem , it is about half the cost of artificial so it is in their interest

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
not sure where you are but i am in uk and i was on neutral and porcine isophane injections for about 8 years before going on the pump 4 years ago and the nhs covered the cost of both no problem , it is about half the cost of artificial so it is in their interest

Hello!
Sorry, but have not had time to answer you before this...
True once again - all artificial Insulins are, as far as I know, more costly.
I don't know the reasons, but only the fast acting (i.e Hypurin Porcine Neutral) is approved. The other I have to get on special licence, but i suppose this will change... I come from Finland.