Type 2 Blood test 23.6

Arber

Hi
My blood tests are all over the place so I am now taking an extra metformin , today one was 23.6
Is this a dangerous result?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
My blood tests are all over the place so I am now taking an extra metformin , today one was 23.6

Hi there Arber. There is no doubt that 23.6 isn't what you're looking for!

Firstly, did you retest to ensure your fingers weren't contaminated by something sweet you might have handled? When was that scare? Had you just eaten, and finally, for now(!), what had you been eating before that score?

What are your numbers now?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi

Without knowing your history (type 2 (?) / diet in particular) and simply concentrating on that number alone, it is WAY too high.

Arber

Firstly, did you retest to ensure your fingers weren't contaminated by something sweet you might have handled? When was that scare? Had you just eaten, and finally, for now(!), what had you been eating before that score?

I’m not overweight and been told not to lose any.
I am 18.8 now 2 hrs after supper

Reactions: Prem51

Arber

It was 2 hours after eating granola and blueberries.
I only had three tablespoons
Ate at 6pm tonight and it’s now 21.30 and I’m 18.8.
Diabetes nurse doesn’t seem to care. ☹️

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Arber - Honestly, many T2s don't get on with grains. In your shoes, I'd try a few days with no grains at all and see what happens to those numbers.

Annoyingly, not all carbs are equal, and people tend to have a food I "affectionately" call "rocket fuel", in that it or they result in stratospheric blood numbers. For some it's grains, some bread, some rice or potatoes, or whatever - and for some it's several of those things.

Only by continuing to test and experiment will you discover where you are.

It's eariy days, but these are important days.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would avoid granola as it's usually loaded with sugar or honey. It sounds like you could be a late onset T1 and not T2. The Metformin will only have a minimal effect. You need to ask the GP or DN for the two tests for T1 if your BS doesn't come down by low-carbing. BS in the 20s is not good if prolonged over days. If you feel unwell, check ketones with Ketostix and contact the surgery or even 111.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It was 2 hours after eating granola and blueberries.
I only had three tablespoons
Ate at 6pm tonight and it’s now 21.30 and I’m 18.8.
Diabetes nurse doesn’t seem to care. ☹️

Unfortunately, Diabetes Nurses seem to only be educated in the ways of the NHS.. so they aren't always the best help.
Try replacing the granola with full fat greek yoghurt - you can always put a bit of sweetener on it.
If you're eating starchy foods like bread, potatoes, pasta etc, it might be worth looking at those and seeing if you can replace some of them with lower carb foods.
A lot of us have found out the hard way that Type 2 is easier managed through diet, and supported with medication (and/or insulin). Control just through medication/insulin alone is quite difficult to achieve and maintain.

Arber

Thanks everyone.
For an update I now take 4 metformin a day and it is rarely below ten and can get up to 16. I have changed my doctor and am trying to get an appointment because I think I maybe type1

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You still aren't telling us what you are eating.
Metformin alone will not compensate for a poor diet.

Reactions: Arber

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.
For an update I now take 4 metformin a day and it is rarely below ten and can get up to 16. I have changed my doctor and am trying to get an appointment because I think I maybe type1
What metformin does, among other things, is lower the glucose your liver dumps into your bloodstream. It doesn't do much of anything for the glucose (carbs) you consume. Ans that's where the rise in bloodsugars comes from. You really want to look at your diet. Potatoes, rice, bread, corn, cereal and pasta are raising your bloodsugars, and metformin isn't the kind of drug that will get those particilar numbers down.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not overweight and been told not to lose any.
I am 18.8 now 2 hrs after supper
Don't be fooled by the term "diet". They're not exclusively meant to lose weight. Someone eith coeliac's is on a diet too, bit to keep their gut from being shredded by gluten, not because of weight. Same thing with cowmilk, lactoseintolerance... They're all diets, by name, but they don't mean you lose weight. Low carb high fat CAN make you lose weight, yes, but if you up the fats and proteine, you should have a good weight.

I don't know if you are currently losing weight, but if you are, it could be because your bloodsugars are running high all the time. Please take care of yourself!

Arber

Today I had 3 tbl porridge for breakfast
Soup for lunch and steak and an egg for dinner. 10 before breakfast 15.6 two hrs after lunch then 10.5 after dinner. No snacks only tea.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you're feeling so rotten. Have you tried a meal with virtually no carbs such as bacon & eggs?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arber I suggest you ditch the porridge, at least for a while.

What quantity of soup did you have? I have some lovely deep soup/stew bowls. I made mushroom soup which shouldn't have made me spike but it did, but I ate it out of the soup bowl. The next night, I had the soup again, but out of a cereal bowl. No spike.

Sorry you are so tired. Once you have got your numbers down, you will probably feel a lot better. Before dx, I would fall asleep after every meal. Since I got to grips with LCHF, no more sleeping.