Greek yoghurt

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a fondness for FAGE Greek Yoghurt (the full-fat version). It has 3g of carbohydrate (presumably in the form of lactose) per 100g - lower than many vegetables. I don't measure my bg, but does anyone have any opinions/experience on whether caution is needed with this product?

Reactions: Serena51
D

Deleted member 308541

I have a fondness for FAGE Greek Yoghurt (the full-fat version). It has 3g of carbohydrate (presumably in the form of lactose) per 100g - lower than many vegetables.
That is lower in carbs than the yoghurt I eat.
I don't measure my bg, but does anyone have any opinions/experience on whether caution is needed with this product?
If you do not test how will you know what effect any food is doing to your bgl.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a fondness for FAGE Greek Yoghurt (the full-fat version). It has 3g of carbohydrate (presumably in the form of lactose) per 100g - lower than many vegetables. I don't measure my bg, but does anyone have any opinions/experience on whether caution is needed with this product?
I'm guessing it will depend on how much of it you eat?

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is lower in carbs than the yoghurt I eat.

If you do not test how will you know what effect any food is doing to your bgl.

I only eat one meal a day and my diet is fatty meat, fish, cheese, eggs, a few non-starchy vegetables, oil, vinegar and sometimes nuts. So carbs are very, very low.

I was diagnosed at 10% and my next HbA1c 6 weeks later was 7.2%, so I am guessing these foods are not a problem. Not that I have much to cut out ...

My plan is to eat about 250 grams of this yoghurt once or twice a week as a treat. This would mean about 7.5g of lactose.

I suppose I didn't want to get into the blood testing just for this one food. Was wondering what a 'negligible' amount of lactose might be ...

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s my favourite and I have it often - as long as you count it as part of your daily carb target it’s fine. Very satisfying and filling too. I made mint raita with it to go with curry this evening it’s delicious and often have for pudding. I like the fact too that it’s a live yoghurt. Enjoy!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of us on the frorum regularly eat various Greek or Greek style yoghurts without any problems - what kind of issues are you concerned about?

All full fat yoghurts (Greek or otherwise) will have some carbs in them usually fairly trivial amounts per 100g. However trivial amounts can add up if you're opting to eat anything in large quantities, so as @Tipetoo suggests you need to test your glucose levels to see how you respond to how much you're eating, as this is individual to each of us.

Robbity

Reactions: gettingamoveon

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="My plan is to eat about 250 grams of this yoghurt once or twice a week as a treat. This would mean about 7.5g of lactose.
I suppose I didn't want to get into the blood testing just for this one food. Was wondering what a 'negligible' amount of lactose might be ...[/QUOTE]
Everyone is different so the amount of carb/fructose/lactose/sucrose it takes to raise my blood glucose will be different to other people. The only way to know if a food is suitable, especially a food you are planning to eat regularly, is to test. Through testing I discovered some foods that raise my blood glucose levels higher than I expected based solely on the number of carbs they contain. Our bodies are complex systems :)

Reactions: gettingamoveon

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It has not been a problem for me even when eaten with berries. I eat it fairly regularly - a 500gm tub a week is normal - but sometimes there's none left so I go a week without any once in a while. No discernible difference

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I like Fage and have eaten it regularly, but recently discovered Onken Greek Style @ 3.3gm/100 and am finding it just that bit tastier and worth the extra 0.3g. I usually have my yoghurts with a few berries, though at present am adding a little cooked apple and pear as we've got stacks of them from the garden. Doesn't push my BG up too far so long as I'm sensible.

Reactions: Serena51

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me the effect of eating yogurt ( I also prefer Greek) varies over the course of a day - if I eat it first thing then I tend to get BG spikes whereas I dont get spikes if I eat it at dinner time

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. That’s an interesting observation about a foodstuff having different effects on bg depending on time of day. I shall have to think about another bout of eating to meter! Thank you.

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. That’s an interesting observation about a foodstuff having different effects on bg depending on time of day. I shall have to think about another bout of eating to meter! Thank you.

It is known that insulin resistance improves as the day progresses.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bluetit, I did not know that, I am still new to this game - as it were. Thank you.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yogurt plain style is blood sugar friendly for this T2 here....

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
For me the effect of eating yogurt ( I also prefer Greek) varies over the course of a day - if I eat it first thing then I tend to get BG spikes whereas I dont get spikes if I eat it at dinner time

Do you eat it as dessert or as your dinner?

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a new fan of Greek Yoghurt. Currently using Yeo Valley (full fat of course) and adding mixed berries to it - three large dollops off a desert spoon plus the berries - usually once a day in the evenings after dinner as a desert but about 2 hours later. My BGl does not seem to spike with it.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I have about 3 500g tubs of full fat authentic Greek yogurt a week.....absolutely love it x

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm guessing it will depend on how much of it you eat?

Certainly is for me, 100g.... not a problem, but go higher and it's a different story. All about working out what does what and how much of it does what. :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mourn the loss of Fage 10% fat. :(
Now I can only find the 5% fat version sold locally.

I cope with this disappointment by adding double cream. :)

Mind you, I usually buy the full fat goatsmilk yog, since for some reason my blood glucose stays lower with goatsmilk than cowsmilk.