RE todays newsletter (Fatty liver desease)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ragnar.
Not seen the Newsletter so don't know much about it. It is published from the main site where you should find contact details in the 'Contact' section there. The forum has no input there.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/contact.html

Diabetes Insipidus is, as you know not the same as Diabetes Mellitus and is unrelated. When talking about 'Double Diabetes' that refers to 'sugar Diabetes' Type's 1 and 2. This is an inability to produce sufficient Insulin or the Insulin that is produced cannot be processed properly leading to high blood glucose levels in the individual.

DI refers to a rare condition where the system the body uses to regulate its water levels becomes disrupted. This disruption leads to the two most common symptoms of Diabetes Insipidus:
An excessive and prolonged thirst, passing large amounts of urine and needing to urinate frequently
If this is left untreated Diabetes Insipidus can result in severe dehydration, shock (from a sudden drop in blood pressure) and in particularly vulnerable people.....death.

From what I have read and understand about this it isn't so much that DI itself will cause DM but that certain drug side effects may contribute to the onset, together with lifestyle, diet etc. May all depend on what drug you are taking. Some may affect the ability to tolerate glucose or cause elevated blood glucose levels......

The significant side-effects of indomethacin, especially with long-term use, are gastrointestinal bleeding and ulceration, kidney toxicity, hyperkalemia (excessive potassium in the plasma), hyponatremia (abnormally low plasma levels of sodium).Indomethacin may cause fluid retention, peripheral edema and liver toxicity. The central nervous system can also be negatively effected.

The significant side-effects of hydrochlorothiazide, especially with doses greater than 50mg/day, can be hypokalemia (abnormally low plasma levels of potassium), hyperuricemia (excessive uric acid or urates in the blood), decreased glucose tolerance, and an increase in serum TRG and cholesterol. These side-effects also can occur with chlorothiazide. Since both these thiazide diuretics rob the body of potassium, there is also a possible risk of cardiac arrhythmia. Clinicians must often administer potassium salts along with these diuretics, and this may cause severe gastrointestinal complications.

There seems to be only one significant side-effect of amiloride use, and this would be to induce hyperkalemia. This is more likely to occur if the person taking amiloride already has compromised kidney function. Several studies have indicated that prolonged use of amiloride in combination with hydrochlorothiazide is usually well-tolerated.

Now if, as here, you already have DM as well as Insipidus I think it is more likely that the DM or associated complications may be the cause of Fatty Liver Disease as it is given as one of the causes :

Causes of fatty liver
In the UK most people with a fatty liver are overweight or obese. The condition is linked to problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure (a longstanding complication of diabetes) and high cholesterol. When all these factors are present they are known medically as metabolic syndrome, or syndrome X.
More rarely, people can get a fatty liver because of some drug treatments and intravenous feeding.

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/hom ... liver.aspx

Here is a link about the side effects of the different drugs from a DI website :

http://www.ndif.org/public/faqs/40-What ... edications

So, I am not sure that your Consultant is totally correct in his assertion that Insipidus can cause FLD or not ? His train of thought may be different to mine ??

Maybe we have some Members who know more about the subject and can throw their thoughts into this.......... :?:

Ragnar

Aye. Thanks. I WAS capapble of finding that myself.

But the link only gives a snail mail address.

Na. When they don't want input from readers, then stuff them.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ragnar said:
Aye. Thanks. I WAS capapble of finding that myself.

But the link only gives a snail mail address.

Na. When they don't want input from readers, then stuff them.

Mmmmmh........ :(

I will make it clearer for you then.........

The details given are not just 'snail mail' as you say. On the page you were given a link to is a further link at the end of this paragraph which gives you the opportunity to send a comment or suggestion about anything including a comment about the Newsletter.

Recipes, suggestion and book reviews
To send us recipes, suggestions or book/product reviews, click here.

If that doesn't satisfy you then you could always pm Administrator or Benedict. They are (DCUK)Sitefinder employees

Glad to be of some help........