Type 1 Freestyle libre

Gavlaaa91

Hi all,

First post here. I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 16 years now. Was very well controlled when a teenager but now my latest HBA1C was 84, I know this is too high. Just wondering how the free style libre works and do people rate it. Thanks for any support.

Gavin :)

Reactions: mike@work

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Gavlaaa91
Welcome aboard.
The libre works by measuring glucose levels in fluid between cells. It provides a reading when scanned by a reader or compatible phone or (if you invest in some tech) a reading to a watch.
It is great for spotting trends and working out where changed can be made

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morning - and welcome!

As Diakat above states - it's a great tool to follow trends, and allows one to be able, to recognize when something happens outside the normal daily routine. Many users have problems with Libre's accuracy, or maybe should I say NOT accuracy - I'm one of the persons, that usually have a difference of about 2 mmol/l between my glucose meter and my Libre - Libre showing too low readings.
But, when you know the values can differ, and keeps that in mind, it's a great tool - definitely better, than all the time pricking your fingers...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Some apps/add one allow calibration @Scott-C is the man for info on these as he can explain far better than I can.

D

Deleted Account

To address your question " Do I rate it?", I would say "Yes, But."
It should be considered as an accompaniment to finger pricking not a replacement. This is mainly due to the inaccuracies of the Libre (although through calibration this can be improved). As a result of this (or because they are a bit behind the times), readings from the Libre are not accepted before driving.
I know some people do just rely on the Libre. For example, children who do not like having their finger pricked. With my experience, I would be very nervous to use it for calculating insulin doses.
However, I did say "Yes". This is because it is very useful for identifying trends and adjusting insulin doses accordingly. For example, through use of the Libre, I have significantly adjusted the timing of my pre-bolus for eating and tweaked the basal settings on my pump.
Another problem some people have is an allergic reaction to the adhesive that is used. This can build up over time. So, at first you feel fine but over months of wear, they start to experience a skin rash.

With this in mind, I would recommend trying one. Yes, one. That way, you can see how accurate it is for you and whether you have an allergic reaction before forking out lots of money- I believe the cheapest in the UK is £44 for one sensor which lasts 2 weeks from Asda pharmacy.

But on the plus side, it is no trouble for travel - I have been through airport scanners wearing one and it was not detected.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some apps/add one allow calibration @Scott-C is the man for info on these as he can explain far better than I can.

Yup - I know. Have not only yet tried to use one of the apps, but I'll check one or some of them out soon...

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To address your question " Do I rate it?", I would say "Yes, But."
It should be considered as an accompaniment to finger pricking not a replacement. This is mainly due to the inaccuracies of the Libre (although through calibration this can be improved). As a result of this (or because they are a bit behind the times), readings from the Libre are not accepted before driving.
I know some people do just rely on the Libre. For example, children who do not like having their finger pricked. With my experience, I would be very nervous to use it for calculating insulin doses.
However, I did say "Yes". This is because it is very useful for identifying trends and adjusting insulin doses accordingly. For example, through use of the Libre, I have significantly adjusted the timing of my pre-bolus for eating and tweaked the basal settings on my pump.
Another problem some people have is an allergic reaction to the adhesive that is used. This can build up over time. So, at first you feel fine but over months of wear, they start to experience a skin rash.

With this in mind, I would recommend trying one. Yes, one. That way, you can see how accurate it is for you and whether you have an allergic reaction before forking out lots of money- I believe the cheapest in the UK is £44 for one sensor which lasts 2 weeks from Asda pharmacy.

But on the plus side, it is no trouble for travel - I have been through airport scanners wearing one and it was not detected.

Yes - I didn't mean to give the impression that I have stopped finger-pricking - I've only reduced the frequency...

K

Knikki

Agree with others around, Libre is good for trends BUT it will never be as accurate as a blood test simply because of the way they work.

The Apps that allow 'calibration' are certainly a help, which allow you to get them closer to the bloods but it is far from perfect.

If you are willing to accept that blood test meters can be inaccurate then the same goes for Libre, Dexcom and the various apps they connect to, then everything will be fine, there biggest plus points is Trends and too see how your bloods have been over a period of time.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd say go for it, @Gavlaaa91 .

It can take a while to get used to its quirks, but it makes an amazing difference.

With DAFNE, which says things like, "don't test between meals unless you feel hypo", we're very often dealing with hypos and hypers after they have happened.

But with libre, because you can easily scan, you can see an out of range trend starting to develop and (depending on how much you trust the sensor, maybe cross check with a bg test) you can then decide on whether a bit of food or a small correction is needed to pin it to keep in range, so you end up completely avoiding the hypo/hyper altogether.

Avoiding hypos is the main use, but it's also good for checking basal, taking the guesswork out of pre-bolus timing, and seeing the response to food types.

Edinburgh Royal Infirmary is starting to publish some data on a1c. It's been on script here since March, so they're now doing some before and after comparisons.

In the pic below, a1cs have been dropping across the range, the number of patients coming in at below 48 has almost doubled, the numbers above 75 had more than halved. And, my guess is that they are doing that safely, not through hypoing more.

Screenshot_2018-09-05-10-41-00.png

Reactions: porl69

DaveXF

I found/find it to be very good.
Yes, as noted, it's not 100% BUT I cannot abide finger pricking.
But...as I didn't cross reference with a more traditional meter...it seems that my bloods were still to high for comfort.
As one who liver dumps for fun, it was interesting to see that when I got up earlier than normal my dumping ( if only because I was active) was very much reduced.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
I'm type two, but am having issues with my sugar levels, the Libre helps keep an eye on these things. I'm a teacher so it's not necessarily acceptable to do a blood test in front of my students. (I have in the past discreetly.) But with the Libre I can test even while I am teaching. If i feel that the level on the Libre is not what I am feeling, then I back it up with a blood test.
I just wish it was less costly, £88 a month is a lot of money.