Is this a case of liver dump? Late afternoon?

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been experiencing really high BSL from pre-dinner to post-dinner the past 4 days. Example today:
9.15am - pre breakfast, 112mg/dl (6.2mmol/L)
Injected usual 7u Lantus, 3u Apidra for small breakfast
12.30pm - pre lunch, 135 (7.5)
Injected 5u Apidra, usual lunch
2.30pm - post lunch, 129 (7.2)
Didn't have any snack, only had my lime water (3pcs philippine lime, really small, sour, not sweet, squeezed juice into water. This has never been a problem before.) I didn't do exercise or anything strenous, as is in the past 3days.
7.30pm - pre dinner, 210 (11.7) ?
Injected 8u Apidra (a bit more than normal because this is the 4th day this has happened), had usual dinner.
10pm - post dinner, 278 (15.4) !!!
Injected 5u correction bolus. I can predict already that 2hrs later this will still be around 90+ (5+), per reaction in past 3nights.

Is this a case of liver dump? My bolus works as expected for breakfast and lunch (not exactly ideal numbers but pretty consistent). What's the best way to circumvent this? I'm planning to raise my Lantus units tom morning to have it work better at night, may have to adjust food or bolus during daytime. Is this okay? Any advice? TIA

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been experiencing really high BSL from pre-dinner to post-dinner the past 4 days. Example today:
9.15am - pre breakfast, 112mg/dl
12.30pm - pre lunch, 135
2.30pm - post lunch, 129
Didn't have any snack, only had my lime water (3pcs philippine lime, really small, sour, not sweet, squeezed juice into water. This has never been a problem before.) I didn't do exercise or anything strenous, as is in the past 3days.
7.30pm - pre dinner, 210 (?)
Injected 8u Apidra (a bit more than normal because this is the 4th day this has happened), had usual dinner.
10pm - post dinner, 278 (!!!)
Injected 5u correction bolus. I can predict already that 2hrs later this will still be around 90+, per reaction in past 3nights.

Is this a case of liver dump? My bolus works as expected for breakfast and lunch (not exactly ideal numbers but pretty consistent). What's the best way to circumvent this? I'm planning to raise my Lantus units tom morning to have it work better at night, may have to adjust food or bolus during daytime. Is this okay? Any advice? TIA

Hi @slaxxfb - I'm neither T1, nor an insulin user, so I won't comment on that aspect of your post. I'm rather wondering if it could be helpful for those with then knowledge and experience to respond to you if you added the UK measures for your bloods. Some will be put off by having to do multiple conversions before considering how to respond.

There's a converter here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
9.15am - pre breakfast, 112mg/dl (6.2mmol/L)
12.30pm - pre lunch, 135 (7.5)
2.30pm - post lunch, 129 (7.2)
7.30pm - pre dinner, 210 (11.7) ?
10pm - post dinner, 278 (15.4) !!!
Injected 5u correction bolus. I can predict already that 2hrs later this will still be around 90+ (5+), per reaction in past 3nights.

The only thing that springs to mind is your usual lunch, usual dinner, what was it?

I have been finding recently that my blood glucose starts rising a lot later than I expect it to if I've eaten carbs. Yesterday I ate a rice dish at 19:00. Went to bed around midnight some 5hrs later with blood glucose of 5.9 (feeling pretty smug) and when I woke up at 7:00 this morning I was up at 13.7.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only thing that springs to mind is your usual lunch, usual dinner, what was it?

I have been finding recently that my blood glucose starts rising a lot later than I expect it to if I've eaten carbs. Yesterday I ate a rice dish at 19:00. Went to bed around midnight some 5hrs later with blood glucose of 5.9 (feeling pretty smug) and when I woke up at 7:00 this morning I was up at 13.7.
Our main carb here is rice. My usual is 1/2 cup, negated by 4u of Apidra. Lunch was 1/2 cup rice and chicken soup. Dinner was 1/2 cup rice and a piece of fast food fried chicken (i'll be cockadoodling for someone's morning soon enough).
Lunch and dinner are always rice for us. It does send my levels higher than wheat bread would, of supposedly almost same carb. 3u apidra is enough for bread.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Our main carb here is rice. My usual is 1/2 cup, negated by 4u of Apidra. Lunch was 1/2 cup rice and chicken soup. Dinner was 1/2 cup rice and a piece of fast food fried chicken (i'll be cockadoodling for someone's morning soon enough).
Lunch and dinner are always rice for us. It does send my levels higher than wheat bread would, of supposedly almost same carb. 3u apidra is enough for bread.

You're actually in the Philippines (I saw the comment about Philippine lime) ? I have been a few times as my partner is a Filipina and I usually end up eating chicken and rice for most the duration. I know how crazy you all are about rice over there, have you tried brown rice? It's slightly less bad for your glucose levels than the white stuff.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're actually in the Philippines (I saw the comment about Philippine lime) ? I have been a few times as my partner is a Filipina and I usually end up eating chicken and rice for most the duration. I know how crazy you all are about rice over there, have you tried brown rice? It's slightly less bad for your glucose levels than the white stuff.
Yup, living in the PH. Chicken is the steadiest meat supply here, it seems.
We did try brown rice for a bit but majority of household voted no, lol. White rice can be managed though so not much worry there. Personally i just limit quantity. My dad who is a T2 doesn't seem affected even, unless he gets a rare 2nd cup. I guess we've adapted a bit?