What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Hi all, hope your day has been good.

B... 2 cups of tea with almond milk,
L...2 Egg and mushroom omlette, cooked in a knob of butter.
D...2 tins of mackeral in extra virgin olive oil, drained, 6 plum baby toms, yellow pepper, cucumber, and chia seeds all over.
S...Few pumkin seeds during the day

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all feel like I played truant today after sorting out some important phone calls me and OH put on our walking boots and got out into sunshine did a 10mile countryside walk and lunch was a picnic sat on a bench in full sun outside a country church on top of a hill with lovely views down the Severn valley - much needed and very therapeutic!
Breakfast one sausage and egg
Lunchpicnic of range of cheese and almonds
Dinner chicken salad followed by small portion of lc trifle and piece of 90% choc with coffee.
Stuff to sort in Birmingham tomorrow so will pack a picnic again but won’t be eaten in such amazing peaceful surroundings!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Boiled egg and 2 HiLo toast with butter and vegemite. Black tea, black coffee.
L. Bowl of vege soup, several cheese thins with cream cheese, satsuma
Snack. Far too many mixed nuts
D. 4 cheese and sweet corn fritters, stir fried green vege, ratatouille. 3 strawberries and Greek yoghurt.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Boiled egg and 2 HiLo toast with butter and vegemite. Black tea, black coffee.
L. Bowl of vege soup, several cheese thins with cream cheese, satsuma
Snack. Far too many mixed nuts
D. 4 cheese and sweet corn fritters, stir fried green vege, ratatouille. 3 strawberries and Greek yoghurt.
Cheese and sweetcorn fritters sound nice. Are they home made or can I get them somewhere?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Been struggling with forum slowness compounded by my own internet connection constantly dropping. Playing catch up now.

@Tori71 good luck with your new career - hope you find something fulfilling. 27 years in one place is amazing.

@shelley262 your day sounds lovely. Quite envious!

@DJC3 glad the DD plan is helping with your blood sugars.

Today's menu was:

Lunch - M&S serrano ham and manchego rollitos followed by a bag of pork crunch.

Dinner - brined pork chop marinated with garlic and herbs.

Copious amounts of tea with double cream to keep fat intake up.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 thanks for the link to the Optimal Blood Sugar Range thread and kind of thanks for making me realise you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Your walk sounds lovely - I realise I have never walked anywhere just for pleasure - run, cycled but never walked (I have done 20 mile walks for Church funds but never pleasure) :arghh::arghh:

Breakfast: Tassimo Americano with cream - that did not go well;
Early Dockey : Tea; after coffee fiasco 3 pints of tea lowered bg - may take up tea drinking
Lunch : Morrisons almond milk latte; home then lawn mowing while grass dry enough
Mid Afternoon: Tea and 320 gms Morrisons Chinese stir fry 4.2% carb; salmon fillet; stokes garlic mayo; lawn mowing again; test then dog walk timed to catch sunset
Evening meal: 2 large field mushrooms with scrambled egg and some grated cheddar

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
The general advice when carnivore is to 'eat fatty meat to satiety, and don't worry about the macros'.
However, carnivory isn't necessarily keto, because it actually takes a bit of effort to get enough fat in, alongside the meat. Especially nutritious fats such as brain, marrow and so on.
So in the 10 months since I gave up veg, I had gently drifted into higher protein and not actively adding so much fat. Although tests still showed ketosis, apparently it wasn't quite enough.
Am now finding that drifting back towards the 2:1 ratio is definitely an improvement.

Will have to start experimenting with different cuts - have always shunned offal etc. but maybe time to give it another go.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 1/2 tin stewed steak with left over mixed veg followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with celeriac mash with a sprinkling of extra strong cheddar, followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.
@shelley262 your walk sounds wonderful, and it was a perfect day for it.

Early: tea with almond milk

B: 1 rasher bacon, 2 fried eggs and a small fried tomato. Coffee and cream

L: DD keto tuna casserol. A very odd thing for me to choose - Ive never liked hot tuna and can’t imagine why anyone would ever want a tuna melt, but it was quite tasty and very filling.

Evening yoga class then cold plate for tea
1 slice roast turkey, avocado, lettuce and rocket with olive oil and celery with cream cheese. Ate about 1/2 of it. Decaf coffee and cream

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.
@shelley262 your walk sounds wonderful, and it was a perfect day for it.

Early: tea with almond milk

B: 1 rasher bacon, 2 fried eggs and a small fried tomato. Coffee and cream

L: DD keto tuna casserol. A very odd thing for me to choose - Ive never liked hot tuna and can’t imagine why anyone would ever want a tuna melt, but it was quite tasty and very filling.

Evening yoga class then cold plate for tea
1 slice roast turkey, avocado, lettuce and rocket with olive oil and celery with cream cheese. Ate about 1/2 of it. Decaf coffee and cream

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry not caught up with posts. Been off grid for just over a week. Detoxing in a rural retreat away from civilisation. (Well, sort of an exaggeration, but 14 mile round trip to nearest food shop, staying in a cottage a mile from nearest neighbours). Meant careful planning of meals, but a stock up of eggs, cheese, meat, cream, bacon, yogurt, and meaty sausages at farm shop en route saw me right. Great discipline. No chance of sneaking in a carby snack, just simple good quality low carb fare. The times I managed to find a pub or café, I opted for coffee and cream, even though tempted by the variety of beers. Had a lovely meal out of salmon, lemon cream sauce and green veg, followed by black cherries with cream and red wine.
Getting back to the city hasn't all been bad. We have swimming pools and gyms and I was glad to be back in the water today. More gym and swim tomorrow.
Breakfast: Greek yogurt, coffee and cream
Lunch: more coffee and cream, slice of bacon, scrambled egg.
Dinner: braised steak with buttery leaks, mushrooms, cauliflower, mineral water.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I'm back. Bed 5.1 FBG 6.3 despite the Bailey's.
Went for a bracing walk along the old docks then back to the Pier head and along to Albert Dock. Was turning a bit dull so hopped on the hop on/off bus for a while.
Sunday
B. Cooked hotel breakfast - 1 GF sausage, GF black pudding, fried egg, mushrooms, 1 bit back bacon, slice of Mexican omelette and slice of GF toast oh and a bit halloumi again. Gallons of coffee. Hotel is a low carb dream at breakfast! Went for the bracing walk after this.
L. Nothing way too full.
D. 4 chicken wings with hit sauce. 1/2 a steak, haloumi chips and a mushroom. Campari and soda and a glass of dry white and yes I had a coffee and a baileys.
Today - Monday
Bed 4.9 FBG 7.6 - don't quite get that but I'm a bit stuffed up now.
B. Just had to have another hotel breakfast. Couple of coffees and yet again GF black pudding, GF sausage, bit bacon, fried egg, slice Mexican omelette, mushrooms and a bit halloumi. Waitress remembered me and brought out a slice of GF toast.
L. Back on the train and into a carb consumers paradise! Stuck with water and coffee.
D. Changed trains in York. Was touch and go getting there because someone had stolen signalling equipment at Batley so all the trains were delayed.
The one thing I could eat of The Train menu they had run out off so thankfully I still had a pack of chorizo crisps. Consoled myself with 2 vodkas and diet coke. Eventually got to Newcastle (Still late) and they'd got more chicken so ate the chicken left the potatoes but I was tempted.
Got home and had some of M&S berry medley.
Back on the school run tomorrow and it is blowing a gale after really nice weather on the way back. I'd rather still be away but I know it's because I'm dreading Wednesday. Still, I've had a nice break and it was a distraction.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make them using coconut oil in a shallow frying pan. They do splatter a bit, so covering pan is good idea. Mr Pipp even prefers them to chips made the way his granny used to, with spuds in a chip pan of dripping.
For the halloumi fries good quality authentic Greek halloumi is needed. When I used a supermarket brand they fell to mush in the pan, even though I had dried them first.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Cheese and sweetcorn fritters sound nice. Are they home made or can I get them somewhere?
Hi, I posted my 'recipe' somewhere on this thread but happy to give again.
Sieve some chickpea flour into a bowl, 50-100g. This flour is roughly half the carb content of wheat flour and crisps up really well. Add half a tsp baking powder. Beat one egg and add to the dry ingredients along with enough almond milk to make a fairly thick batter. This is my basic recipe and I don't really have exact measurements for it.
Then add grated cheddar cheese and sweet corn and stir well. Heat oil in a frying pan and add large spoonfuls of batter until golden brown on each side.
There are lots of variations. Add cumin or coriander. Make with pre-cooked, finely-chopped swiss chard or spinach and feta. Grated courgette and parmesan are also a good additions. I usually make these to use up leftover or surplus vege and remnants of cheese. They are good hot and lovely cold on picnics!

Reactions: Tori71

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I posted my 'recipe' somewhere on this thread but happy to give again.
Sieve some chickpea flour into a bowl, 50-100g. This flour is roughly half the carb content of wheat flour and crisps up really well. Add half a tsp baking powder. Beat one egg and add to the dry ingredients along with enough almond milk to make a fairly thick batter. This is my basic recipe and I don't really have exact measurements for it.
Then add grated cheddar cheese and sweet corn and stir well. Heat oil in a frying pan and add large spoonfuls of batter until golden brown on each side.
There are lots of variations. Add cumin or coriander. Make with pre-cooked, finely-chopped swiss chard or spinach and feta. Grated courgette and parmesan are also a good additions. I usually make these to use up leftover or surplus vege and remnants of cheese. They are good hot and lovely cold on picnics!
Thanks @Dr Snoddy, I'm getting some great recipes from the site so will give this a go!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I can’t believe I haven’t saved the recipe for your CCB bars. Can you please post it again here when you have a minute?

Edit to add, I found it, the reason I couldn’t find the recipe earlier was because I saved it from before they were christened CCBs!

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Smoked salmon and scrambled egg.
1 hour walk
L. Leftover fritters, leftover butterbean salad, satsuma, mixed nuts
Snack. Oat biscuit.
D. Mushroom with cheese, leftover ratatouille, leftover butterbean salad, cabbage. 3 strawberries and Greek yoghurt.
Looks like I will be out of leftovers soon and will need to cook!