T1 food.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dixon1995 I don't mind at all, T1 food is the thread title, what I would say when you mention 'carby meals' is to make the point that they're not any old carbs but complex ones, and complex carbs are the ones I find I can inject for :)

A lower carb tea for me, leftovers omelette and around 65g carbs all in, pushed for time and child's having a take away :)

Reactions: SueJB

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd not normally bother with a Sunday dinner but as the child's staying I knocked one up :) around 80g carbs all in, roast pork with a couple of spoons of apple sauce to season, roast spud, mashed spud, instant Yorkshire (fake) puddings, carrots and cauliflower and broccoli cheese with gravy from the juices, water, a drop of sarsons browning and some bisto, and it's bang on :)
View attachment 29110
That's my kind of.dinner!
Matches mine!!

Reactions: kev-w

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dixon1995 I don't mind at all, T1 food is the thread title, what I would say when you mention 'carby meals' is to make the point that they're not any old carbs but complex ones, and complex carbs are the ones I find I can inject for :)

A lower carb tea for me, leftovers omelette and around 65g carbs all in, pushed for time and child's having a take away :)

That's great, I eat a lot of complex carbs too but those meals of mine aren't worthy of a photo lol

Enjoy your tea nomnom

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheated a little tonight as I was pressed for time - chicken with cheese and pesto topping went in the oven. Added a portion of wholewheat fusilli, some mushrooms and some leaves on the side. Oh, yes, 49g added up.

594d14960be7d56608705ad4fb440289.jpg

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yay! I was hoping someone would mention seasoning

Has anyone used this amazing product to make food taste better! Ive been using it to season my boring vegies for years :D
where did you buy it?
Goodie about the positivity @kev-w re the thread title. I luv your meal photos and think you may have something going in your carb intake. Might post a pic of my evening meal but fear something has gone wrong with my posting... sorry all
herbamare-uk-250g.png

Its! Well... salt, but not any ordinary salt
I see so many food items on here that I personally wouldn't touch, so I thought I'd post up a few T1D meals I eat to add some variety, I'm currently looking to gain a couple of kg so have upped the portion size and insulin injection to suit, I'm coming up to my 34th or 35th diaversary, mostly with a hba1c of 52 but down to 46 using a Libre. View attachment 28577 So here we have a supermarket best 700g fish pie, 67g carbs, 80g protein, some fat, basmati rice at 54g carbs the portion and a 300g pot of low fat humous with chilli sauce @ 20g carbs with mange tout, broccoli and carrots, 8u Humalog and bloods peaking at 6.8 tho I'll need another couple of u for supper.
@kev-w thanks for this thread T1 food, just found it today and it makes great reading and to show the variety. Luv your photos

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The threads been great to follow seeing all the different food, be great if there was one where all diabetics share photos of their meals, bet that would be interesting to see the differences between us all

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The threads been great to follow seeing all the different food, be great if there was one where all diabetics share photos of their meals, bet that would be interesting

You're more than welcome to use this one if you want, my diet is quite repetitive, but works for me for what I do and how I live, I've always been fitness orientated, and was always the one out of my mates who couldn't put much weight on in the gym on mothers cooking :) so learnt how to cook for me...
A Yorkshire green Thai chicken for me tonight, child too but I added chilli when I'd served hers, a little less carbs here, back to around 90g with 7u, my experiment upping carbs and insulin has been abandoned for now with my basal timing change, I weighed 81kg tonight so I'll take that and just work on not losing any :)

photo.JPG

Reactions: db89

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w . Looking good, healthy and tasty on the plate tonight.
The fact I can see the outer rim of the plate proves what you say about fewer carbs:):):).

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chicken and poached egg jalfrezi, with broccoli carrots and peas, brown basmati rice and around 90g carbs all in, 6.5u insulin.

photo.JPG

Reactions: SueJB and db89

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quiche night - pepper, courgette and tomato with some beans, coleslaw and leafy salad. 43g carbs/2.5u for this one.
07168318644db985b0b51409c9c968d6.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love quiche but avoid it due to a lack of portion control :) the base spikes me, recently whilst rooting thru the supermarket reduced fridge shelves I came across something that looked like a quiche called a 'fritata' which to me it was a pastry free quiche and very low in carbs.
I bought 3 :p

Reactions: Diakat

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are indeed called frittatas and very possible to make yourself in a suitable non-stick pan. You just need a glut of eggs and a filling. Leek and prawn is one of my favourites!

Hotpepper20000

I love quiche but avoid it due to a lack of portion control :) the base spikes me, recently whilst rooting thru the supermarket reduced fridge shelves I came across something that looked like a quiche called a 'fritata' which to me it was a pastry free quiche and very low in carbs.
I bought 3 :p
Sooo easy to make. I use them often to clean out my fridge. Really any cooked veggie and meat with a bit of cheese and salt and pepper. Mix with a bunch of eggs and bake in a moderate oven till done.
Well usually it’s a lot of cheese.

Reactions: CranberryIce

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That moment when you've a 5g carbs portion of houmous left in't fridge :p

photo.JPG

About 25g carbs all in, Nando's poachies with houmous @ wholemeal bread @ 9g carbs a slice, porridge is just a pleasant memory now but the jug's still to wash up :)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This one is a conservative guess at about 50g because I've no idea what was in the sauce. If wrong, so be it, because it was delicious!

Mexican meatballs, mash and carrots/green beans.
f3bf2b17e5a66fcef00059d3fa109483.jpg

Edit: 'Mel's cat' I believe is the term. Need to up my guesswork game.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never used a square plate as I'd imagine it'd look wrong with a square of rice around the edge :p

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
2018-10-27 17.59.51.jpg
luv your food @kev-w
Here's mine this evening that I managed to click before devouring. Thai crab and pomelo salad
Might look better with a flash but a brilliant taste
How do you just add a pic rather than an attachment?

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
luv your food @kev-w
How do you just add a pic rather than an attachment?

When your photo's uploaded look for an option of a full size image not a thumbnail, there's a 'button' to click under the message box somewhere :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pad Thai, chicken veg and around 85g carbs all iin, although the sauce at 8g carbs / 100g was 7g sugars per 100g so I'll get a little spike perhaps although I watched my bloods drop to 4.7 before I started eating :)

7.5u insulin which is a unit more than I'd have taken but am allowing for the sugars in the sauce, if I'm wrong I've a Kit Kat in the cupboard @ 11g carbs...

photo.JPG

Reactions: Robinredbreast

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My veggie alternative to the fam’s trad Sunday roast chicken dinner - big mushrooms stuffed with a mix of grated kefalotiri (sheep) cheese, soft goat cheese and Roquefort (also sheep cheese), cauliflower, broccoli and turnip all roasted in the same oven for 45 minutes, with a spoonful of mushy peas. 14g carbs and amazing!

ED49A6E1-DCDE-4A3D-A583-4AE9E28A749B.jpeg