PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think things are beginning to change. Having seen my results and engaged in conversation with me, my surgery have begun to divulge skepticism about the eatwell plate and have at least one Jason Fung devotee on the staff. It has taken a few brave pioneers to openly question the standard dietary advice, but it seems that there is a growing body of more enlightened healthcare practitioners willing to look at the evidence of patients bucking the trend when it comes to the "progression" of diabetes. Working with them to support others seems very worthwhile to me.

And for what it's worth I definitely describe my diet as high fat - at least 75% of calories from fat. And I am slimmer than I have ever been, with better health markers all around.
That is so apparent from the feedback on this site (And others too). The tide is turning.

The proof is in the pudding!
I think things are beginning to change. Having seen my results and engaged in conversation with me, my surgery have begun to divulge skepticism about the eatwell plate and have at least one Jason Fung devotee on the staff. It has taken a few brave pioneers to openly question the standard dietary advice, but it seems that there is a growing body of more enlightened healthcare practitioners willing to look at the evidence of patients bucking the trend when it comes to the "progression" of diabetes. Working with them to support others seems very worthwhile to me.

And for what it's worth I definitely describe my diet as high fat - at least 75% of calories from fat. And I am slimmer than I have ever been, with better health markers all around.

that is so apparent from the feedbasck on this site and many others. The tide is about to turn.

The proof is in the pudding! Your 75% full fat pudding :)

Reactions: Goonergal

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE RE PR
Yesterday i chased DCUK/PR team (again.....im such a pest) and they have assured me DCUK WILL be doing the inspirational stories booklet (adding it to their social media sites) but it’s not on the priority list as they are only a small team and have lots of projects on, at the moment they are focusing on Diabetes Awareness Month. i get that, they have to prioritise. They have promised it is on the to-do list but can’t give me a date for when it will be done. And they have no plans to design the low carb recipe booklet, as this wasn’t on their radar appatently! Such a shame as this is a brilliant resource and not just for newbies. I've asked @Rachox if there is a way we can link it to the forum or find a way of getting a copy to those that would like one so at the moment it's a work in progress. Myself, im offering it to my friends and family who are interested in low carbing and if I was charging I would be making a small fortune! I still think there is a market out there to get this kind of recipe booklet published. I have yet to see a diabetic cookery book by a diabetic that involves low carb info. @shelley262 did an amazing job. The format is perfect. I'm also winging a copy around all the HCP's at my 2 surgeries together with the inspirational stories booklet, 100 stone lost and kicked diabetes' butt, blood glucose monitoring leaflet, 1936 diabetic guidelines and Dr Unwins paper. I have had it confirmed that once all have had a chance to read the material 8 Drs, 2 paramedic practitioners, 4 nurses plus locum etc it is going to be discussed at a clinical meeting. I thought i had been invited but i misunderstood. I'm banned (I'm joking but I can see it happening!). But it's all good. Other forum members are doing the same. Imagine if we all did it, how good woukd that be. Anyway we are slowly moving forward and it feels very positive. I can see DCUK are really busy so I'm going to take it up in myself to write to gmtv to see if they are interested in our plight! You just never know your luck.

Re the photos from Birmingham, some of these have been used brilliantly for individual case studies in recent press as many of us are aware. They are working really well to spread the word. However as some of the group didn’t want to be used publicly and wanted to be anonymous the group shots can't be used for press purposes.

They did say that if the individuals would like their photos that were taken on the day they can be sent to them individually.

So that's today's update folks. Apparently my London photo shoot will be out tomorrow in local shops. I wasn't interviewed on the day of the shoot so they must be going off what the PR team have said. I just hope it gets everything across. I'm with 2 other ladies (we made the cront cover apparently). We have all lost weight in various ways. I did it to fight type 2 diabetes (and won), and the other 2 ladies to feel better after putting on a lot of weight. One with Rosemary Conley and the other with drinks (similar to the Newcastle diet.

And that's today's update.

Have a good evening. I will be up and down all night like a brides nightie answering the door to a constant stream of excited children. I have a bucket of sweets at the ready. It's wrong on every level, 1) sweets are full of sugar which is the devil's work! And 2) I used to work on dental emergencies!!! I really should be handing out cheese, salami and olives but I think the treat option would quickly turn to trick if i did!!!

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the update and great stuff! I am dropping my letter and materials off at my GP surgery on Friday. Very interested to see what response I get...
Who do we contact to get our own photos from Birmingham? I hadn’t realised we could get these!

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the update and great stuff! I am dropping my letter and materials off at my GP surgery on Friday. Very interested to see what response I get...
Who do we contact to get our own photos from Birmingham? I hadn’t realised we could get these!
Please let us know how you get on, good or bad! It's helping to build up the bigger picture.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another PR success. I was invited to tell the story of my journey with diabetes to a national magazine. Simply you, sister mag of Take a Break. About real women and their real stories (their words). How i reversed my type 2 diabetes, (which is how I like to think of it, it makes me feel like I have beaten the beast, but I'm not complacent, my way of eating I know has to be permanent) . And how I lost almost 4 stone during that time. Approximately 6 months. I was in an article with 2 other ladies who had also lost weight and regained their health. One with the Cambridge Diet, the other with the help of Rosemary Conley diet. We made the front page. Its funny to see your face on a mag in a local Tesco or newsagents. It felt like a massive step. This mag will be in a lot if Drs surgeries, hairdressers, beauty salons etc etc. It's a very popular choice with ladies of any age, and I'm sure men too. I'm thrilled.

Still have a goal of getting to sit next to Holly and Phil on gmtv! Tell them that the ppwers that be are giving out bad advice. Shocking in fact.

Got to have dreams.

It seems our PR team are extremely busy at the moment with diabetes awareness month but they are doing their best for us with the ltd resources they have. Meanwhile we are all doing what we can behind the scenes. My next PR exercise is giving a talk to fellow diabetics in January at the local Tesco. Detailing my journey. Telling them what worked for me. Blood monitoring, eating to my meter which basically meant low carb high fat way of eating. I would always suggest they discuss speaking with their gp before following in my footsteps though. I'm looking to contact the go surgeries in the area to see if I can drum up a bit of interest. That said my weeks of late have been manic. My life seems to be all or nothing!

I have my 6 monthly bloods due next week on 16th and I'm going armed with all I have educated myself on. I hope to get feedback from all the info I dropped off at the surgery, inspirational stories, blood glucose monitoring leaflet, low carb recipes booklet, 1936 diabetic guidelines, Dr Unwin papers. I know it has circulated within the 2 surgeries. I asked that all drs/hcp's etc see the pack. I did have it confirmed that the contents were to be discussed at a clinical meeting. I am so looking forward to hearing what they have to say. Fingers crossed its positive.

Attachments

• 20181101_103335_resized_1.jpg
    20181101_103335_resized_1.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 20181101_104908_resized_1.jpg
    20181101_104908_resized_1.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 20181101_104918_resized_1.jpg
    20181101_104918_resized_1.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 20181101_104904_resized_1.jpg
    20181101_104904_resized_1.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 20181101_104851_resized_1.jpg
    20181101_104851_resized_1.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please let us know how you get on, good or bad! It's helping to build up the bigger picture.
I have just received a very nice letter from my GP in response to my little package of goodies....

He says they encourage people to go to DCUK website, he follows us online and is aware low carb diets are becoming more popular. Several patients a year at our surgery also kick their diabetes into remission as I have done, usually through losing weight and some through low carb.

The local Desmond course he refers new patients too are ‘slowly coming round to using more of a low carb approach’. Too slow for my liking but I guess any progress is good. He also comments NICE are slow to adopt change. *sigh*

The depressing part was him saying some patients just prefer to take the tablets and not change their diet drastically as they like bread, pasta, potatoes, beer etc. and they would find a low carb diet difficult to sustain. There was a programme on TV last night that said the NHS are doing 170 amputations a week from diabetic complications which is so sad. I personally think a little more shock tactics at first diagnosis and clear, low carb dietary advice with example success stories would be the way to go.

I also asked about being part of the PPG but he didn’t address this in his letter. I guess the practice manager would pick this up or perhaps it isn’t terribly active.

Overall I thought it a reasonably encouraging and positive response, given the current guidelines but our work on spreading the word def needs to continue!

Reactions: Indy51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just received a very nice letter from my GP in response to my little package of goodies....

He says they encourage people to go to DCUK website, he follows us online and is aware low carb diets are becoming more popular. Several patients a year at our surgery also kick their diabetes into remission as I have done, usually through losing weight and some through low carb.

The local Desmond course he refers new patients too are ‘slowly coming round to using more of a low carb approach’. Too slow for my liking but I guess any progress is good. He also comments NICE are slow to adopt change. *sigh*

The depressing part was him saying some patients just prefer to take the tablets and not change their diet drastically as they like bread, pasta, potatoes, beer etc. and they would find a low carb diet difficult to sustain. There was a programme on TV last night that said the NHS are doing 170 amputations a week from diabetic complications which is so sad. I personally think a little more shock tactics at first diagnosis and clear, low carb dietary advice with example success stories would be the way to go.

I also asked about being part of the PPG but he didn’t address this in his letter. I guess the practice manager would pick this up or perhaps it isn’t terribly active.

Overall I thought it a reasonably encouraging and positive response, given the current guidelines but our work on spreading the word def needs to continue!
Apologies for delayed reply Caroline. One of those weeks! What a very positive appointment that was. Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to print it off and take it with me to my appointment this week. On top of my file of goodies! If I put my file on the floor I would need a ladder to stand on the top. If I fell off I would do some serious damage! Good to hear those magic words 'LCHF catching on'. Your gps have been pointing pts to dcuk and there have been other success stories besides your own obviously because of that. I bet the ones that have done it through losing weight lost it cutting down on potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and cereals. Even DESMOND is catching on. You are always going to get pts who prefer to take the meds if they aren't educated as to exactly what the meds do. And what their limits are, in that you still need to watch the carbs. It's so sad hearing the stats about amputations. People are not being educated. I completely agree. Every new pt would benefit greatly from our inspirational stories booklet and all our other goodies. Hopefully they are looking into you joining the PPG and you will hear soon. Wouldnt it be great if all t2d on diabetes forum's went go their Drs armed with the 'amo'. And followed it up asking for feedback. And stats on how many surgery pts had 'reversed ' their condition. It's such powerful info in our booklets. I can't wait for my appointment.

In addition to helping to control blood sugars low carb diets can help with health I'm general. BP, Alzheimer's, cancers, skin conditions, depression (I do wonder if carbs are to blame for so many people suffering) anxiety, weight loss and so much more. We found this way of eating and it's health benefits from Google. Have the powers that be not got access I wonder!!! Quite shocking. Seems like they want to keep us alive but poorly for financial gain. Lots of money to be made out of us sadly. Statins usually go hand in hand with Metformin. Statins are the most lucrative of meds dished out I do believe. There is definitely a bigger picture.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your updates have reminded me of my own update. During my diabetes review on Friday with my GP we spoke more about an email I sent him a couple of months ago than my diabetes! I asked numbers of Type 2s in remission and if he thought the PPG had a place for me. He will deal with the stats in the spring when he’s less busy. Regarding the PPG he introduced me to the Deputy Practice Manager who signed me up straight away. First meeting is 29th of this month, I’ll have the opportunity to introduce myself with my background etc.. I’ve also been given a delegate place on an all day Oxford City PPG Forum on 20th. I’ve been warned that the lunch provided will be ‘biege’ and probably not suitable for me but the Community Diabetes team will be there.

Reactions: caroline_92

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your updates have reminded me of my own update. During my diabetes review on Friday with my GP we spoke more about an email I sent him a couple of months ago than my diabetes! I asked numbers of Type 2s in remission and if he thought the PPG had a place for me. He will deal with the stats in the spring when he’s less busy. Regarding the PPG he introduced me to the Deputy Practice Manager who signed me up straight away. First meeting is 29th of this month, I’ll have the opportunity to introduce myself with my background etc.. I’ve also been given a delegate place on an all day Oxford City PPG Forum on 20th. I’ve been warned that the lunch provided will be ‘biege’ and probably not suitable for me but the Community Diabetes team will be there.
I understand they are busy. Delayed but you will get the info. We can probably forecast the results without the need for a crystal ball! But it will be interesting. We really should not need to be doing all this. And would not have to if the right info was given to pts. If any have managed to 'reverse ' t2d I wonder if there will be notes as to how. Great news on getting onto the PPG. What an asset you will be. Your introduction might be lengthy haha. You have been on a spectacular journey. Looking forward to getting your feedback on the delegate meeting on 20th. Community diabetes team Will be there. I would be prepared with our usual booklets/leaflets. Just in case the discussion about low arb happens to pop up :) :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand they are busy. Delayed but you will get the info. We can probably forecast the results without the need for a crystal ball! But it will be interesting. We really should not need to be doing all this. And would not have to if the right info was given to pts. If any have managed to 'reverse ' t2d I wonder if there will be notes as to how. Great news on getting onto the PPG. What an asset you will be. Your introduction might be lengthy haha. You have been on a spectacular journey. Looking forward to getting your feedback on the delegate meeting on 20th. Community diabetes team Will be there. I would be prepared with our usual booklets/leaflets. Just in case the discussion about low arb happens to pop up :) :)
Indeed the booklets will be coming with me to both events and copies of Dr Unwin’s paper. And of course a discussion about low carb will come up! ;)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed the booklets will be coming with me to both events and copies of Dr Unwin’s paper. And of course a discussion about low carb will come up! ;)
Go girl.....

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some brilliant news to share, shared within the forum but meant to copy here as it links to our PR. Firstly re our PR team. I must admit to pestering them over the past few weeks. I know they have been so busy with diabetes awareness month but was desperate to find out what our next step would be from the Birmingham event.

My email to head of PR:

'You are having an extremely busy month I know. Diabetes awareness month is a very important time. I was just wondering if you have an update on the videos that were done in B'ham? Its over 2 months since our fabulous event. I would love to give some positive feedback to our forum members although I realise nothing may have transpired from the videoing. But I live in hope something did'

Reply received:

Hi Deb
I’m sorry, yes really busy and constantly playing catch-up. I’ll be seeing Charlotte in London next Weds 5 and Fri 7 December so I’ll try and get an update re the videos and what they are going to be used for then.

Also in January I have a meeting in Coventry planning 2019, so please don’t worry I’m sure there will be opportunities.

Thank you for being so patient!'

To which I replied:

'I feel so awful pestering you. I know how busy you are. But I'm really happy with your reply. I will let forum members know. I would like to organise another meeting next year. I think making it an annual event would be a great idea. I don't mean full on with PR team (although that would be great) but create an opportunity for members to meet face to face. Everyone loved Birmingham. And Coventry just happens to be on my bucket list. the low carb woe for diabetics is definitely spreading! Hallelujah. Anyway I won't keep pestering you (just from time to time!!). Hope all is going well for you. You deserve the success, you all work so hard. Thanks again. Deb'

She came back with more info yesterday, she has some ideas about doing a low carb weekend retreat. Food and nutrition lectures, cookery lessons, some fitness instruction, education, mindfulness – and lots more.

She asked if she could raise it at the next Advisory Panel Meeting on 7 Dec and see what they think. I went back to her and said 'you don't ask you don't get'. So watch this space. It is just ideas at the moment but all very positive.

I also attended my 2nd PPG meeting last night. 1st one was just going over plans for a new surgery so it didn't give me a feel for the standard PPG meetings. But last night did and I came away buzzing!

Basically in short (tongue in cheek) various things were discussed, practice manager chaired the meeting. Only 4 PPG members attended, me being one of them. Needs promoting for sure but not the time or place to start on that one! Various things discussed, expansion, new staff, staff changes, new build, new housing estates popping up everywhere and discussion on resourses from a medical perspectrive. Dr's have invited us out in the New Year as Xmas too busy for them, afternoon tea! I laughed inside. Anyway after about an hour with the meeting about to wind up she turned to me and asked me to give everyone a run down on my story.

BINGO!!!

Her PA was typing away and the meeting minutes were going out live - apparently one of the only surgeries to use this system. So I hopped on my orange box! You know the gist of what I said haha. But replies were coming in on the live system and the PA kept stopping me to read replies out. In short I have been invited to a local radio station for a 15 min slot! I have been invited to join a local group who are very active in promoting healthy living including low carb. But the best bit is DRUM ROLL FOR THIS ONE!!! The practice manager has asked me to send her by email our Inspirational Stories Booklet, Blood glucose monitoring leaflet, low carb recipes, 100 stone lost doc and kicked diabetes butt, Dr Unwin paper (and anything else I might think apt). I had said I was looking at getting more people to join the monthly diabetic meeting at Tesco, there was only 10 diabetics there at my first meeting, I thought all were from my surgery but it turned out that they were from all Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. She is going to contact all local surgeries by email with my/our story, I will do a covering letter with a brief summary. Im doing a talk about my journey in Tesco (little room at the back) in January and it would be great to get more than 10 going. @xfieldok is local and has very kindly offered to help. Practice manager kindly said she would send info to all the surgeries as she has all contact details at her finger tips. I came over all warm and toastie inside and almost started filling up.

Get this, 3 of the 4 PPG members there are diabetic type 2. One was sitting eating biscuits throughout. I was shocked at the end of the meeting when he said he too was diabetic.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
More good news today. I had this email from the extremely supportive PM at my surgery, things are moving in a positive direction:

Hi Debra

I have shared the piece about your weight loss that xxxx put together for you- and explained to both the CCG and the council that you would be interested in doing talks for Diabetics and how they can help themselves by losing weight etc. There is currently an initiative to signpost patients to what we are calling ‘social prescribing’ – things other than medication which will help them improve their lifestyles and their health.

Everyone is interested in working with you to put you in touch with patients and the council are interested in helping you to find a space to do that in- did you have any ideas of area/size of room etc. you would like. From the surgery we would offer some facilitation support, I will contact the PMs at other surgeries and ask if they want to invite people etc. when we have a plan. We will also speak to the CCG communications lead when he is back from leave to see what suggestions he has. At both Medical Centres - we could also supply refreshments (drinks- not biscuits which defeats the object!!) as well as a staff member- in the hope that you will also be happy to help us- by letting people know what surgery PPG you are representing- just a nice bit of marketing for us as a surgery- thanks

AND MY REPLY (THIS IS UNCHARTERED TERRITORY FOR ME, BUT I WILL GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT):

Hi xxxx I'm back home now and able to reply.

I love the sound of social prescribing. I had a thought, when someone is diagnosed as t2d a non medical referral kind of thing for a one to one chat with a fellow diabetic would be amazing (if pt wants one of course). You feel very alone when you have been diagnosed. Although xxxxxx is an excellent DN I did feel that after the initial appointment diagnosing me I just has leaflets to support me (no reflection on xxxxxx it's just how it is). There was so much to read. I was so upset, devastated to be honest knowing what my mum went through, and had I been offered a one to one with a diabetic, especially one that has 'reversed' the condition i know I would not have gone through weeks of uncertainty and emotional turmoil. I'm more than willing to help. It would be my pleasure. I might also be able to help with pts battling weight problems, not just diabetics. Just to understand how your body reacts to the food you put into it. What works well for losing weight and what doesn't. And why. It helps so much when you understand that.

I am unaccustomed to giving talks but I'm going to give it my best shot. I am passionate about the cause and this will hopefully give me the confidence to do this. If i help just one person I would be over the moon. I can make my talk in January an experimental one. It's going to be about my journey, my diabetes 'reversal' and weight loss. I'm going to prepare some handouts and some notes (My memory isn't what it used to be). I would obviously run them past you first. The low carb high healthy fat worked for me. Fat doesn't make you fat as people assume. When you cut down on carbs your body uses fat for its energy. Lots of research out there proving Ancel Keys theory wrong but I certainly don't want to go against the Drs advice to their pts, especially if they have other health issues going on. But I'm happy to say that this worked for me, but it might not suit everyone. And ask them to check with their gp before starting. Which does seem ridiculous as they may be moving from a completely unhealthy way of eating that they didn't have to ask the Dr about!!!

I don't know how much interest there will be. I feel many pts might just be of the mindset ''let me just take the tablets and eat what I like' which usually means it becomes progressive and they will require more and more meds to deal with the condition. I will tell as many people about my journey as want to listen. I was off again this morning, to my plumber who was servicing my boiler!!! Nobody escapes .

Great news that other people want to work with me including the council (they might think otherwise when they hear what I have to say about their roadworks in town .). It all feels so positive. When there is so much negativity out there surrounding diabetes and obesity I can put a positive side to it. It's not the end of the world when you are diagnosed. Just the start of a journey that can, as it did for me, become a blessing in disguise. I have never felt better. Obviously if it can be prevented that's so much better for the pt. Catching them before they get to pre diabetic stage is paramount and again maybe a chat with a diabetic may help.

I laughed at the biscuits comment. . there are some really nice low carb nibbles I could sort. Olives, nuts, little bits of cheese, and actually chocolate isn't off limits it's just that it would be a little bit of 85% choc. I could do low carb lemon drizzle cake (never bake but I feel things might be changing soon).

Its a work in progress. We can mould it as we go along. I'm yours to use. I've already been singing your praises on diabetes.co.uk saying how very supportive you have been. I'm all for marketing. Credit where credit is due too.

I have made good friends with many diabetics along the way including type 1s which is in another league altogether. Much more of a daily battle. So many are there ready and willing to help me. Apart from one lady, they aren't local but are ready to support me in any way they can. Most have 'reversed' their diabetes and in the same way as me. It isn't the only way, LCHF, but it certainly works for the majority of t2d and also helps t1d control their blood sugars. And needless to say, lots of weight has been lost. DCUK was a life saver for me. Literally.

Thanks again

Debra

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More good news today. I had this email from the extremely supportive PM at my surgery, things are moving in a positive direction:

Cracking news, debandez

Sounds like you have a decent plan in mind.
so i leave you and others more experienced to fill out the wording and content.

i however have done a few years of speaking to groups, and with the best will in the world, it's so easy to get side tracked.
i know i did many times.

The main part i remember is when in a structured environment
"tell them what your going to tell them
Tell them
then tell them what you've just told them"

Sort of tell them the talk is about sugar/carbs / food management / benefits to health / improved weight loss /
Then tell them the main body of information, add examples, and do include your journey to better health.
( check for understanding at each major point )
then use the Q&A at the end to recap and confirm most understood it and know
where to turn to for more information

The best bit of advice i ever got was that making a list of bullet points helps you get back on track if you happens to skip or missing any parts.,
and even if you do make a mistake and go out of sequence, most people won't know that you have.
so the recap lets you just go back over any missed parts

they won't even know the order of things your going to say, so how can they know you mixed the order up...:D

and remember to pace your self and take a breathe, LoL
sips of water is perfectly acceptable..and that would be a good point to throw out to the group, a question of perhaps how they felt about any particular part, as you progress.
( easy to just carry on without checking peoples understanding.)

In any group there's always one or two more savvy and most will be " ok, Got it..."
but i loved keeping my eye out for those who just nodded with the herd (we've all done it)
who clearly didn't 'Get it'..

They were the ones i enjoyed taking a little more time with..the aim of good teacher isn't to see pupils as at fault for not learning, but to reflect and think IS there another way i can get the message across to this person.

You go debandez..your message is strong and powerful.

i wish i had had the offer of speaking to someone like you that first month of being diagnosed, might not of found the news quite so brutal.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cracking news, debandez

Sounds like you have a decent plan in mind.
so i leave you and others more experienced to fill out the wording and content.

i however have done a few years of speaking to groups, and with the best will in the world, it's so easy to get side tracked.
i know i did many times.

The main part i remember is when in a structured environment
"tell them what your going to tell them
Tell them
then tell them what you've just told them"

Sort of tell them the talk is about sugar/carbs / food management / benefits to health / improved weight loss /
Then tell them the main body of information, add examples, and do include your journey to better health.
( check for understanding at each major point )
then use the Q&A at the end to recap and confirm most understood it and know
where to turn to for more information

The best bit of advice i ever got was that making a list of bullet points helps you get back on track if you happens to skip or missing any parts.,
and even if you do make a mistake and go out of sequence, most people won't know that you have.
so the recap lets you just go back over any missed parts

they won't even know the order of things your going to say, so how can they know you mixed the order up...:D

and remember to pace your self and take a breathe, LoL
sips of water is perfectly acceptable..and that would be a good point to throw out to the group, a question of perhaps how they felt about any particular part, as you progress.
( easy to just carry on without checking peoples understanding.)

In any group there's always one or two more savvy and most will be " ok, Got it..."
but i loved keeping my eye out for those who just nodded with the herd (we've all done it)
who clearly didn't 'Get it'..

They were the ones i enjoyed taking a little more time with..the aim of good teacher isn't to see pupils as at fault for not learning, but to reflect and think IS there another way i can get the message across to this person.

You go debandez..your message is strong and powerful.

i wish i had had the offer of speaking to someone like you that first month of being diagnosed, might not of found the news quite so brutal.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been out for dinner with some ex colleagues.

This is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply in depth. I'm going to print this off tomorrow and digest it properly and make my own notes. I actually did some training over the years but it was very structured and it was more hands on for those listening. They had pc's to work with and I guided them around new software. A financial package. Very straight forward training.

I think we all felt lost when we got the news. How good would a one to one be with a diabetic?!?! I hope they think it's a good idea too.

Thanks again.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we all felt lost when we got the news. How good would a one to one be with a diabetic?!?! I hope they think it's a good idea too.

Thanks again.

No apology needed, debandez...hope you enjoyed your evening

The training was pretty similar, except we had to compile the training material ourselves after learning the core information.

Something you may have come across during your stint was the KISS principle .?

Keep It Simple, Stupid. LoL

Might be worth keeping that in mind as you write/compose your guide

And yes, agree 100% with the one to one approach

What a fantastic aid that would have been
It's almost like a bereavement, and I suppose it is, you are at the beginning of saying goodbye to your old lifestyle

A little hand holding while you muddled through the shock and lack of information, .would have been invaluable, at least to me

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No apology needed, debandez...hope you enjoyed your evening

The training was pretty similar, except we had to compile the training material ourselves after learning the core information.

Something you may have come across during your stint was the KISS principle .?

Keep It Simple, Stupid. LoL

Might be worth keeping that in mind as you write/compose your guide

And yes, agree 100% with the one to one approach

What a fantastic aid that would have been
It's almost like a bereavement, and I suppose it is, you are at the beginning of saying goodbye to your old lifestyle

A little hand holding while you muddled through the shock and lack of information, .would have been invaluable, at least to me

The training I delivered was similar. I worked with new software company, told them how our old system worked. They worked on mirroring it. I wrote a step by step guide for new system (a team of us). How to input sales, payments, view/amend interest payments, view/amend client details. Create annual statements and so much more. That kind of thing. Then I went over to India (Chennai) to train the team. 2 months and I loved it. A wonderful experience. It was just after the tsunami so many years ago. This will be completely different but I'm sure there will be some similarities! Please keep the help coming. I'm taking copious notes. I want this to succeed to get our message out to as many as possible.

I love the KISS lol.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The training I delivered was similar.
I wrote a step by step guide for new system (a team of us).

Then I went over to India (Chennai) to train the team. 2 months and I loved it. A wonderful experience.

Then i think we are on the same page, debandez...:bookworm::D

You'll already have a good awareness of where you'll be heading in content delivery ,
And with your personal expertise and own experience of those dark early day, a clearer understanding of the kind of information
most vital to putting those new recipients, on the right road to understanding the basics of what is happening, asap.

Add in the effects short and long term and the immediate impact they themselves can have, JUST by being a bit more knowledgeable about how food works and the better choices they CAN make, i fail to see how that can not improve their situation.

( i know that sounds weird, but i was, and am, probably the densest guy you ever met when it came to foods.
it took me a while to appreciate the .." ALL things can turn into SUGAR"...especially when it came to carbs..:wideyed: )

(*On a side note..INDIA..:happy:
What an experience that must have been, my wife and i go most years, (Goa) and LOVE it.
that's us in the avatar, with one of many good friends out there, during one of the Holi festivals..happy times.

We are considering getting an enfield and travelling a bit further inland as we have covered most of Goa (all be it on a scooter)
Wife has FB friends out their who did similar.)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Then i think we are on the same page, debandez...:bookworm::D

You'll already have a good awareness of where you'll be heading in content delivery ,
And with your personal expertise and own experience of those dark early day, a clearer understanding of the kind of information
most vital to putting those new recipients, on the right road to understanding the basics of what is happening, asap.

Add in the effects short and long term and the immediate impact they themselves can have, JUST by being a bit more knowledgeable about how food works and the better choices they CAN make, i fail to see how that can not improve their situation.

( i know that sounds weird, but i was, and am, probably the densest guy you ever met when it came to foods.
it took me a while to appreciate the .." ALL things can turn into SUGAR"...especially when it came to carbs..:wideyed: )

(*On a side note..INDIA..:happy:
What an experience that must have been, my wife and i go most years, (Goa) and LOVE it.

We are considering getting an enfield and travelling a bit further inland as we have covered most of Goa (all be it on a scooter)
Wife has FB friends out their who did similar.)
We are on the same page re food too! I had to look up what carbs were on dx. Still not a kitchen expert. But it's a work in progress.

I'm going to do a format of the presentation and put it out to you guys. We need a winning formula that we might even be able to roll out across the country (I think BIG!!!). Reach for the stars and all that.

Yes India was an amazing experience and one that will stay with me forever.you know yourself how special the people are and the country.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reply from.my gp practice manager

Dear Debra
I took the leaflet xxxx had helped you with and showed the other Practice Managers.
If the council can assist with finding you a room , I can pass the date to the other managers and they will advertise/ invite their diabetic patients. It may have to be a ‘suck it and see’ approach- see if they are interested in attending etc. And you need to be prepared for a slow start... word of mouth helps.
Blackpool council are very passionate about helping to improve health and social care, so we are all very fortunate to have their support.
Personally I would suggest we look at a January date if possible- people are always keen to try something at New Years resolution time! We will support you from the surgery as much as we can. Once we get something sorted, I have worked a little with a journalist for a practice management site who may also publicise . But let’s not run before we walk.
I will wait for xxx to give us some possible availability for a couple of dates for room usage and we can start from there.
Thanks, xxxx

Reactions: DavidK59