Withdrawal From Forum

beacon12

I have never seen a more user-unfriendly site. All I wanted to do was thank the person who replied to my thread. My first attempt was returned because it went to an unmonitored address. The second attempt was turned down because I wasn't recognised. At the third try, my message was refused because of spam-like content. I don't understand how 'thank you' can be considered spam by any stretch of the imagination. I am no longer interested in such a difficult exercise.

Reactions: paspa2.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you click on the reply button under DCUKMod's post? Then you would have replied on the forum. I think you will find that after some more postings you will be able to message people and make links but until then I'm afraid your access will be slightly restricted. This is not anything specific to you but to all new users as we have had a lot of "spam" users rcently.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beacon, three months ago I struggled too with replies to posts. It appeared first off as really counter intuitive site to use. However a few days later I got the hang of it. There are various bells and whistles I have not worked out but I have mastered the basics. Hang on in there, it will make sense, give yourself a bit more time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tagging in @DCUKMod so she sees you’ve been trying to thank her. As @bulkbiker says posting capability is restricted initially due to us suffering an outbreak of spammers who try to infiltrate the forum with unnecessary/unwanted content.
To reply to a specific post in a thread just click the reply button found ...
..here under my signature.
\/
\/
\/
\/

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always thought that I wasn't very good with PCs - my first calculator was a sliderule and my first PC used Octal, and my casual swear word was 'Six!' - ( count in binary mode using the digits of your right hand, thumb is one ).
However, I have never had any bother at all doing things on the forum - replies, personal messages, a blog - maybe it is because I don't expect anything to work in a particular way.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Were you trying to reply using email to the email notification that you had had reply to your initial post? If you were, that would be an automated response, and pinging it several times would auto-generate a spam response. To reply to a thread, you needed to click on the link in that email, which would have brought you to your post here on the forum, and you could write the actual reply there.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never seen a more user-unfriendly site. All I wanted to do was thank the person who replied to my thread. My first attempt was returned because it went to an unmonitored address. The second attempt was turned down because I wasn't recognised. At the third try, my message was refused because of spam-like content. I don't understand how 'thank you' can be considered spam by any stretch of the imagination. I am no longer interested in such a difficult exercise.

Hi @beacon12

It does take time to get your head around this site without having issues with the technology side of things. I sympathise with what you have been through. Please give it another go. It's a wonderful forum with amazing people that just want to help in return for nothing. Hoping the glitches are in the past now and you can get to the good stuff!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Beacon - I'm sorry you are having problems using the forum. It's an unfortunate fact that there aree many forum formats and they're all a bit different.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what happened to you, but as @bulkbiker has said, there are some controls around immediate personal messages, because, sadly, not everyone uses the internet for positive impacts, and here at DCUK the safety of our members is of paramount importance. Once a few forum board messages, private messaging is released.

I'm not overly familiar with the app, but I believe on the Android app, attempts to send a very early private message can return unexpected messages. Again, once a few forum posts have been made this resolves itself.

I hope having got yourself this far you stick around.

paspa2.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you 100%.site to complicated.. Paspa2.

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with you 100%.site to complicated.. Paspa2.

Please stay with us. I had no problems at all accessing and using the forum and the benefits far, far outweigh any teething problems you may be experiencing. Remember that you can ask any questions at all of the members or of the moderators regarding technical issues. Good Luck.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree it’s a bit “busy” in terms of presentation. It’s tricky finding how to post up a new thread...I still struggle to find this. It does not show me as logged in when I am logged in, it has glitches, it hasn’t changed the member numbers in 3 months but...the support from the members is really worth the struggle. Well, I think so.

Reactions: Guzzler

paspa2.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Rosco 2, I agree it's well worth it for the support and information you get but why is it so complicated, (maybe my age haha) I have no patience. Cheers.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, it’s not an age thing, I am only a few years younger than you.
I have zero experience in web design. I would describe myself as averagely competent in using Internet.
There is a huge amount of info on this site. A number of different health conditions.
It feels like the site design needs an expert makeover. I have no idea when diabetes uk site first started but it may not have had any real upgrade work for some years? I may be talking out of my ar5e however...

jpen

I agree it’s a bit “busy” in terms of presentation. It’s tricky finding how to post up a new thread...I still struggle to find this. It does not show me as logged in when I am logged in, it has glitches, it hasn’t changed the member numbers in 3 months but...the support from the members is really worth the struggle. Well, I think so.
I have just joined (well I THINK I have - not sure if I have completed step 3 or not!) and can't figure out how to post a message either. Hence my replying to this one. I would like to interact with others - but after 2 days of faffing around - I am very disheartened..
How do I post a new intro message? Thanks!
jpen.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @jpen
Sorry to hear you have had problems .you can always email [email protected] if issues arise.
For a hello message you can post in the greetings and into section or just leap in with a question.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have just joined (well I THINK I have - not sure if I have completed step 3 or not!) and can't figure out how to post a message either. Hence my replying to this one. I would like to interact with others - but after 2 days of faffing around - I am very disheartened..
jpen.
@jpen go to a section you want to post in and click on the Post New Thread button.

JpQAvK8.jpg

Reactions: porl69 and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jpen.

Hi there jpen - You might find some of the little video clips in this link to be useful. Each is around 5 minutes, or less, so not a huge investment in time, but they are often helpful.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/

Edited to add the link! Apologies. Senior moment in play.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there jpen - You might find some of the little video clips in this link to be useful. Each is around 5 minutes, or less, so not a huge investment in time, but they are often helpful.
I just had a thought (unusual after only one coffee) but here goes.
I'm guessing that like most forum members I automatically gravitate towards the Recent Posts page when I want to catch up.
Would it be possible to have a "Post a New Thread" button there that would then take you to a drop down menu of which section of the forum you want to post it in? Then we wouldn't have to come out of "rRcent Posts" search and find the forum to post in and start our new post there? Just a thought but I would have thought a relatively easy change to make (maybe .... dunno really)

Reactions: porl69