Getting morning fastings of 3.6

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am 3 months in and have been doing low carb. The past week my morning fasting numbers have dropped and all been 3.6 - 4s is this too low? I feel fine?

I was originally getting 9-11s when i started and it goes up to anything between 6-9 pre evening meal.

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am 3 months in and have been doing low carb. The past week my morning fasting numbers have dropped and all been 3.6 - 4s is this too low? I feel fine?

I was originally getting 9-11s when i started and it goes up to anything between 6-9 pre evening meal.

If you feel fine they’re great fasting levels - assuming your oral meds are just Metformin.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In the meantime you could use the mysugr app, this gives you a projected HbA1c figure from your readings. I find it quite accurate. Your levels are great.
My ears pricked up when you mentioned accuracy
Please what BG meter do you test with?
Thanks

Reactions: kitedoc

Ribbet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get levels like that when I owned a Caresens 2 meter. I latter moved to CaresensN-Pop and my reads increased noticeably. I latter found out the the Caresens 2 required calibration to the tabs with each new packet used - a fact that my diabetic nurse at the time failed to point out. The new CaresensN-Pop tabs are pre calibrated so are ready to go. So this is not to alarm you, only to say that it might pay to check if your meter requires calibration per new set of tabs just to be safe.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sprocket 2 - Over time, I have worked out I have what I refer to as "running ranges". By that I mean where my bloods will routinely be on any given day, given all the usual variables, like sleep, stress, what we've eaten, if we have a cold, or whatever. My morning, fasting range is 3.5-4.5. For me, anything in that range is what I expect to see. I also feel absolutely fine on those numbers.

My ranges differ a little bit through the day, but having worked out my running ranges, it helps be know whether I'm likely to be developing a new trend - desirable or otherwise!

To my mind, once we have our bloods under control, the absolute number of the meter screen becomes less of an issue, as we really are looking at long term trends.

Sounds like you're doing really well. Keep us posted on how the review goes.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Sounds like terrific progress to me. As long as you feel ok at that level and have enough energy to chase the Fraggles when you spot them then plenty to be happy about.
Discuss your Metformin dose with your GP as you may be able to reduce it (but agree with GP first).
Your Hba1c should have reduced because blood cells only live 2-3 months. Your new cells are being looked after much better.