fallen off the wagon

louismum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The past few days I have fallen off the wagon and oh boy :eek:( I wouldnt say massively but enough to make me realise how carbs affect me. It started with me craving something sweet. My low sugar jelly bith raspberries didnt seem to help and I gave in and ate bread. I ate bread again the next day...and the next (yesterday) Oh and I ate some pancakes on the second day too. Yesterday i felt so yukky....bloated and lethargic. I am sure ths feeling was down to my eating carbs again...oh and one other thing I started feeling hungry all the time again. I really dont think am suited to carbs at all.

The ironic thing is I saw my diabetic nurse on tuesday and told hr I had stopped eating (high) carb to try to get my bg levels under control and that carbs really send my readings up and she said maybe I wasnt eating enough carbs !!!!!!!!! and did I want to see a dietician :eek:9 :eek:( :eek:( I cant win :eek:(

Back on the wagon today, providing my blip hasnt lost me my willpower

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

good to hear your back on the wagon!

Everyone falls off occasionally, it's only important that you climb back on :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
There is this thought that eating carbs evenly through the day somehow 'stabilises' your blood glucose. I often wonder if this advice is meant for Type 1s? My BG, as a Type 2, remains perfectly stable on a very low-carb diet.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Hope you're back on that wagon, Louismum! Good luck!

Viv :)

louismum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
so far so good guys.

Viv, carbs have always sent my bg levels high, I listened to my nurse and gve it a good go but my numbers were terrible.

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
All I can add is that lowering my 'carbs' has worked for me... As I've previously stated I'm not yet taking my Metformin, trying to establish a 'diet only regime'. Although, next monday I have my first appointment with the DN since diagnosis, (two months)...

My most up-to-date Bg readings are:
Average Fasting 5.8 - 6.2 (Didn't test this morning)
2 hours after lunch, 6.2 (today)
2 hours after tea, (dinner, if you're posh,) 7.0
I'm hoping that these recent figures will be low enough for me to continue with my 'low-carb diet' and NO Metformin.

I would finish by stating that people on this forum have been very supportive and the advice about 'low-carbs has been spot-on!

Regards, Malc.

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
Hi louismum,

Sorry to hear you've fallen off the wagon but if it helps, so have I! Getting back on it hopefully wont be too painful for either of us :)

Regards
Jen

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi louismum - I also had a binge recently where I ate 11 biscuits in one go. It was so awful that it gave me the willpower not to do it again. Perhaps that will happen to you too. :) It's also a great help talking about it on here. The support I got from everyone was incredible :D We have all gone through it and are there for you :)

ClaireJC

Dislikes
People who force their opinions on you without checking their facts first!
I well and truly fell off the wagon - 2years ago! It started with a lasagne with regular pasta, then a couple of potatos ... Now I'm 3 stones heavier with a HbA1c of 9.4.

Easter Saturday was my turning point and here I am, back again, starting over!

Bloods have been between 4 and 10 for the first time in years, and being on a CGM, I can guarantee that that is for 100% of the time - it checks my levels every 5 minutes, day and night, and I've had it since Christmas.

Ok - here we go again - I'm back too!

purplefairy

the wagon was that bumpy I fell off. sad to hear I am not the only one.
so glad the kids have finished their easter eggs.
definately getting back on now.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I am a self confessed chocaholic, but I'm glad to report that two Easters have passed since my diagnosis (as type 2) and I haven't touched a single Easter Egg.

Trouble is my son is now getting tubby as he has eaten all the Easter Eggs himself... :lol:

jaykay

My most up-to-date Bg readings are:
Average Fasting 5.8 - 6.2 (Didn't test this morning)
2 hours after lunch, 6.2 (today)
2 hours after tea, (dinner, if you're posh,) 7.0
I'm hoping that these recent figures will be low enough for me to continue with my 'low-carb diet' and NO Metformin.

These are similar to my figures Malc and I'm on diet only with no mention of tablets so far. Fingers crossed for you :D

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi JayKay,
You are doing O.K. by the sound of your results...Keep up the good work.
I, still don't have any of the usual effects associated with Diabetes, tiredness, thirst etc...
I'm hoping that it's a good sign, generally. My lowest fasting reading has been 5.4 on the 28th Apr.

I don't test quite as often now, as my fasting readings were 'steady' most days and my food intake was much the same each day....However, earlier this week (Sunday) I did a quick check and my fasting result was 6.2 ( slightly above my average) ...
Then later in the same day,having had breakfast, then coffee & toast , then a sandwich for lunch, I did another test (2 hours after)and the result was 5.3
I didn't check following my large evening meal :oops: , however, the following morning my fasting readings were an acceptable 5.9
My next review is in August, (no date set yet)...It's at that visit when I'm hoping that my HbA1c results will be less than my recent results of 7.2 , if they are and my weight hasn't dropped any further,(I'm only 9 stone at the moment) then I may not need the Metformin that's still in a drawer here at home :D
Regards, Malc.

Vikingepigen

I too have fallen off the wagon - but in a much more serius way. When I was diagnosed I was not working and I had very good results and god control via a Low Carb diet.

Then I got a new job - and soon my lifestyle changed and so did my diet!! :shock: After almost a year in the job, I realised I was unwell and putting on weight - by this time I had stopped testing altogehter. Started to test and found that my Bg was above 8 and sometimes in double figures, 2 hours after eating. My Bg control was viturally gone ....... not too surprising considering everying (I work for an icon ice cream maker and the pressure to eat ice cream EVERY day, was diabolic but have now manged to control that AND the pressure/demand! :lol: ).

In the last just over two weeks, I have pulled back - gone back on the straight and narrow, started my food diary again, testing and dropped ice cream completely (!!) and already my Bg is down to around 6.2, two hours after eating and I have lost almost 1/2 stone too.

It is such a relief and I feel so much better ........... this works, it really works - now I "just" have to find a balance between work and living sensibly! :lol:

Getting off course, happens - we are but humans - but I have found new motivation and realised the importance of NOT being complacant with my diet/exercise ........ and that might not such a bad thing after all.

Alice

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Well done, Alice for turning things around again :) It's so easy to let things slide but you show that getting back on track can be done and that it doesn't take long to see the results. This should inspire other people who are struggling too.