Carb blocking drugs

Juliarolo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m trying to cut down significantly on my carb intake to around 50-80g/day.
Of course cooking home prepared meals it’s easy to manage. But I’m about to go away for 3weeks and be catered for. Can anyone advise if the over the counter carb blocking tablets are of any use for those times I lapse.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't lapse?
Where are you being catered for hotel, as a guest in someone' house?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would never use anything that messes with my digestive system. Best not to lapse. It is possible.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the few occasions I have been in hotels I have never had any bother getting low carb options, and I would think that a cruise ship kitchen would also be able to cope.
Yes, there might very well be loads of foods to avoid - but there always is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All inclusive hotel and then cruise ship
Well if it's half decent you should be fine just ask for green veg to replace starch and avoid desserts get cheese instead.
Breakfast is usually buffet where you can choose meats, cheese, eggs etc.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sure the most effective form of carb blocking is abstinence

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can usually find low carb foods on a cruise ship particularly in the self serve areas. Have to be honest when I go on a cruise whilst I do keep an eye on my carb intake I don’t worry if I have something too carby

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, cant comment on the hotel, but as far as cruise ships go I have never had an issue, even being a vegetarian and low carber :joyful:
There is always eggs anyway you want at breakfast, plentiful veggies, salad, cheese, berries and cream and if you do eat meat and fish the choice is massive. Lobster? Yes there are nice desserts, pizza etc but you don't have to eat them, or if you really really want a dessert just have a small spoonful once a day rather than the entire portion every meal.

I often ask for different mix and match food items to suit my dietary needs and always have double cheese board (without the crackers) and a few berries and cream :), I usually offset the extra food with using the gym, doing exercise classes, climbing wall, basketball and swimming.

Have a lovely holiday!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You see
IMG_1802.jpg
and then
IMG_1803.jpg

That was my dinner tonight.......easy

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am also going on a cruise soon. I notified the cruise company several weeks ago about my diet - low carb (without grain products) high natural fat. Usually the restaurant staff are very good at advising what is possible from the next day's menu and at breakfast there is more than ample choice to avoid carbs. I will be using more than my usual number of strips for the first few days to be certain and ensuring that I at least walk using the promenade deck for exercise on sea days. Most cruise ships have a gym with qualified staff if that is what you prefer. I happen to enjoy my low carb diet so there is little temptation to stray but the occasional slight rise is acceptable as long as the general level remain low.