Pride comes before a fall...

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Met an old mate for a drink tonight. Opted for beer (rather than red wine / shorts) thinking it can’t do any harm. Tested myself after 3 pints. 17.5! Reminded me to stop trying to run before I could walk.

On the plus side, I called a halt to the drinking at that point, whereas 2 months ago I was drinking up to 10 pints and soaking it up with a pizza. God knows what my blood sugars were like then!

Onwards & upwards

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
wine is your new friend. But - remember to eat. I drank too much wine on an empty stomach and something crashed (Blood sugar, blood pressure - not sure what) ended up with a red face, very red and scarred.
Best advice - don't drink too much and eat with drink. Beer is hard to judge because they are so varied and carb content not displayed.
You are doing well so you earned your "cocky" moment but remember the big picture here.
This isn't about running before you can walk. You are running already, you just can't fly, and you won't be able to - so stop trying to flap your arms. (I mean that in the nicest most supportable way possible).
Hope you enjoyed the beer.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One and a half bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon this evening and 4.9mmol. I'm not advocating that anyone should follow my example but it does show the difference in carbs between beer and wine.

Reactions: Dodo and LeftPeg

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I miss beer. My favourite drink, by a mile. Hardly ever have one now. I stick to wine (new favourite) & shorts, but wine is a lot stronger so I'm often more drunk than my beer drinking mates!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Beer was one of the many factors in my becoming diabetic. I always drank 'real ales' but after I retired I was going to the pub most nights for 3 or 4 pints and a pub meal or Chinese/Indian takeaway afterwards and put on a stone in weight in a year.
Now I usually stick to red wine and spirits. I do drink beer when I meet friends in pub, but that's only 2 or 3 times a year.
You did well to test after 3 pints @LeftPeg, I don't think I could be bothered to test after drinking. Well you have learnt from the experience.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I did the same thing @LeftPeg but with cider and hit 10.5. One of the things I really miss but not worth the rise.

Reactions: LeftPeg

BloodThirsty

I miss beer. My favourite drink, by a mile. Hardly ever have one now. I stick to wine (new favourite) & shorts, but wine is a lot stronger so I'm often more drunk than my beer drinking mates!
I know what you mean about drinking wine when all around you are on ale... it is an elixir for getting legless faster than banana skins.

What works for me is a double spiced rum in a pint glass of soda and ice.
Same volume, similar alcoholic content as beer and not a carb in sight.

After the second glass you will even start to enjoy it.

Reactions: Prem51

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know what you mean about drinking wine when all around you are on ale... it is an elixir for getting legless faster than banana skins.

What works for me is a double spiced rum in a pint glass of soda and ice.
Same volume, similar alcoholic content as beer and not a carb in sight.

After the second glass you will even start to enjoy it.
Good call. This is my problem with shorts, is that they're too...short! Not sure rum and soda sounds too nice though, even though I love rum!

BloodThirsty

Good call. This is my problem with shorts, is that they're too...short! Not sure rum and soda sounds too nice though, even though I love rum!
Gotta be spiced rum though, and if you can get it "Dead Man's Fingers" (St Austell) really hits the spot.