What blood glucose level triggers your hypo's?

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi n1ck, and everybody else!
I suppose some of you really will "feel the shake" as urbanracer put it, when you hear (well, ok - read) the following...
I don't feel hunger any longer (long story), but I do know when I am going too low nowadays. With "too low" in this case, I mean, I am able to react, before I get any problems to interact with my environment.
I had a period several years ago, when I was all too used, to very much too low values. The following happened twice in quite a short time. I felt a bit strange, and checked my blood sugar. Meter showed a value of 1.4 mmol/l. Well, needless to say, I didn't believe the results, so I checked once again - same result. Well, after that I almost run to the fridge :) And yes, I did check the values myself, and I managed to pick something to eat, without being too far away from the reality...
Today things are a bit different. Depending on how fast/slow my BS sinks, I could still go down to about 3.0 mmol/l, before I feel a need to eat something, but on the other hand - I have a Libre that helps me watch the trends...

This a little bit from my life as T1 - more to be told later...:)

n1ck

If you wanted to invest then using the Dexcom G6 means you can set an alert say at 5 mmol/l and get an alarm if your levels are dropping, which means you can take some glucose on board and avoid a hypo, it’s not completely foolproof but it’s a great help.
I am actually considering a CGM as i think it would benefit me greatly. I'll be discussing it when i have my review next week and look at costings etc.

Froggychops

I have been a diabetic for 26 years. The trigger point for my hypo was always about 4. In the last few months my hypos were becoming more frequent and the trigger point reduced to 3 ish. I decided at that point to use the Dexcom G6 which gives me an earlier warning. Having said my hypos have recently been down as 2.2 with no warning signs (thank goodness for the G6). I still feel shattered though after recovering.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can feel it when it drops below 4 but if I get that wobbly, spaced out feeling and the meter shows around 5 then I know I'm falling fast and to treat as hypo anyway.

Learnt my lesson on ignoring that when tested at 5 and decided wobbles were due to top much coffee. 15 mins later I was guzzling haribos and orange juice - took me nearly an hour to get high enough to drive. My body just seemed suck up the glucose.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there every body, I have lost hypo awarness and without the "Libre" CGM , I would not know how low till my legs give way trying very hard to get awarness back by running high at present also my wife tells me when I going low by looking at my feet twitching T1 since 1960

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was surprised to still be functioning enough to do a test and find my bg was 1.9 (sleepiness masked my symptoms I think).
My tolerance of hypos increases when my general control is better i.e. lower overall bgs.
When they experimented on normal healthy college students by inducing low blood sugars following a low carb regime they found the subjects were asymptomatic at 2.0.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was surprised to still be functioning enough to do a test and find my bg was 1.9 (sleepiness masked my symptoms I think).
My tolerance of hypos increases when my general control is better i.e. lower overall bgs.
When they experimented on normal healthy college students by inducing low blood sugars following a low carb regime they found the subjects were asymptomatic at 2.0.

Did you check your ketones level at that point? It is likely elevated enough to fuel the brain.