Newly diagnosed, need help with the readings on sd codefree

Tracy27

Hi,

I was newly diagnosed last week with prediabetes. My HbA1c came back at 47. I got my sd codefree today, pretty sure i set the meter up properly. Just took a test for the first time and it reads 58. I had a bad day and only ate a wholegrain roll with peanut butter about half past one ( first day of not eating properly) so i checked the leaflet and im totally lost with the numbers. Is this number the same number we get from the blood test at the doctors. So sorry i feel stupid.

Tracy.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's not the same as HbA1c. I suspect it was actually 5.8 mmol/L. It also could have been 58 mg/dL, but that would be quite low and unlikely.

Try it a gain and double check the units.

Reactions: T2#Me

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure it is 58 and not 5.8?
The meters show the actual blood glucose level, where the Hba1c show a 'telltale' of the glucose on the hemoglobin in the blood.
A bread roll is not a good choice - grain is very high carb, and although your Hba1c isn't dreadful to reduce intake of carbs would be a good idea.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was newly diagnosed last week with prediabetes. My HbA1c came back at 47. I got my sd codefree today, pretty sure i set the meter up properly. Just took a test for the first time and it reads 58. I had a bad day and only ate a wholegrain roll with peanut butter about half past one ( first day of not eating properly) so i checked the leaflet and im totally lost with the numbers. Is this number the same number we get from the blood test at the doctors. So sorry i feel stupid.

Tracy.
Nothing stupid about it. The only reason I knew how to work one was because our cat is a T3c diabetic and the vet showed us how to use it. Your HbA1c is an average bloodglucose level of 3 months. The glucose meter tells you what is going on right now: no averages, just right this moment. Which is why it is useful, because then you know what certain foods do, and where you're at! But yeah, I do think it reads 5.8, which is fine. That point is rather important, do include it. ;) Ah, I wish I could still hit that after a high carb roll... Ah well, those were the bad old days anyway, so just as well, I guess. (I don't miss the rolls, I just miss not being diabetic! :p )

Tracy27

It would have been 5.8 then, sorry am new to all this. What is the difference between my HbA1c at 47 and the number on the sd codefree which was 5.8? Their is a difference then? I dont know what number i should be with a fasting reading, or whats acceptable a number after food. This is so hard, confusing. Also confusing as to what i should and shouldnt eat, people keep telling me different things, i cant eat that, oh yes you can eat that etc..

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would have been 5.8 then, sorry am new to all this. What is the difference between my HbA1c at 47 and the number on the sd codefree which was 5.8? Their is a difference then? I dont know what number i should be with a fasting reading, or whats acceptable a number after food. This is so hard, confusing. Also confusing as to what i should and shouldnt eat, people keep telling me different things, i cant eat that, oh yes you can eat that etc..

Hey Tracy,

If you want, buy/loan some books by Dr. Jason Fung. He tends to explain things really well, getting into the mechanics of it. All in all it comes down to us not being able to process carbs anymore, or as in your case, not very well, as you're prediabetic and want to avoid progressing to T2. That's practically all carbs, as they all turn to glucose once ingested. So besides the obvious sugars, potatoes, rice, corn, cereal, bread, pasta, fruit (save for berries). Stick with meat, fish, above-ground, non starchy veggies and leafy greens, olives, cheese, butter, avocado, extra dark chocolate, eggs, mushrooms, all very low carb things. (You can check www.dietdoctor.com for visual guides to boot.).

As for how to read your meter: 5.8 after a meal is okay. It's between 4 and 8, which is about what you'll usually be aiming for (upper bit after a meal, lower before it). If you test, test right before you eat, and 2 hours later. If you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, then that meal was absolutely perfect and worth repeating. Anything above 2.0 mmol/l is a spike, and you don't want those. At a HbA1c of 47 your average bloodglucose was just under 7.0 for three months, and that's a bit high. They don't make it easy with such a variety of numbers, but... You're not alone, help is just around the corner. :)

You'll get there. We all did. ;)
Jo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The HbA1c is measured in mmol/mol units. Your meter measures in mmol/l units. They are not the same thing. Also, the HbA1c is a sort of average of your levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. Meters give you a snapshot of the level you are at right then at the time of the test. You cannot directly compare them. They are chalk and cheese, although there are conversion charts. For example, your HbA1c of 47mmol/mol is equal to a level of 7.7mmol/l on your meter. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Now you have your meter you can test before you eat and 2 hours after your first bite. Record both these levels in a food diary that includes everything you have just eaten and drunk. Everything. There will most likely be a rise from before to after, and this should never be more than 2mmol/l, preferably a lot less than that.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
hba1c-chart.jpg

Tracy27

Thanks everyone for all the info.. i still haven't quite got to grips with this :( my bloods this morning are 6.6. 6.2 yesterday morning. Is that good?

T2#Me

Hey Tracy,

If you want, buy/loan some books by Dr. Jason Fung. He tends to explain things really well, getting into the mechanics of it. All in all it comes down to us not being able to process carbs anymore, or as in your case, not very well, as you're prediabetic and want to avoid progressing to T2. That's practically all carbs, as they all turn to glucose once ingested. So besides the obvious sugars, potatoes, rice, corn, cereal, bread, pasta, fruit (save for berries). Stick with meat, fish, above-ground, non starchy veggies and leafy greens, olives, cheese, butter, avocado, extra dark chocolate, eggs, mushrooms, all very low carb things. (You can check www.dietdoctor.com for visual guides to boot.).

As for how to read your meter: 5.8 after a meal is okay. It's between 4 and 8, which is about what you'll usually be aiming for (upper bit after a meal, lower before it). If you test, test right before you eat, and 2 hours later. If you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, then that meal was absolutely perfect and worth repeating. Anything above 2.0 mmol/l is a spike, and you don't want those. At a HbA1c of 47 your average bloodglucose was just under 7.0 for three months, and that's a bit high. They don't make it easy with such a variety of numbers, but... You're not alone, help is just around the corner. :)

You'll get there. We all did. ;)
Jo
I like your posts ... thanks for your detailed info. As Bruce Forsyth used to say "You're my favourite!"

T2#Me

Hi,

Tracy.
I know the feeling only too well ... don't be disheartened, you are in the right place for advice and encouragement and after a while it does settle down as you learn more about how to control your diet and record your data ... just take it slow, Rome was not built in a day :)

T2#Me

Nothing stupid about it. The only reason I knew how to work one was because our cat is a T3c diabetic and the vet showed us how to use it. Your HbA1c is an average bloodglucose level of 3 months. The glucose meter tells you what is going on right now: no averages, just right this moment. Which is why it is useful, because then you know what certain foods do, and where you're at! But yeah, I do think it reads 5.8, which is fine. That point is rather important, do include it. ;) Ah, I wish I could still hit that after a high carb roll... Ah well, those were the bad old days anyway, so just as well, I guess. (I don't miss the rolls, I just miss not being diabetic! :p )
Yikes! Your cat is diabetic? I never knew a cat could be diabetic. Poor thing. How did you find that out? How do you treat it at home?
What about dogs? Can dogs get diabetes? I'd better not tell my wife ... she will not like to hear that ... she adores our dog. :shy:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like your posts ... thanks for your detailed info. As Bruce Forsyth used to say "You're my favourite!"
*blushing* Thank you. All I'm doing is what other members did for me when I came here. Trying to just do my bit. :) As for the cat, sure, cats can be diabetic. He had pancreatitis, which almost killed him, and then it was more scar tissue than pancreas, so that put an end to his insulin production. It was touch and go for a bit there, but as long as he wasn't giving up, we weren't either. He gets 2 units of Lantus at 6 in the morning and at 6 at night. We haven't had to check his bloods regularly anymore since he was switched to people insulin, since he gets the same amount of food and insulin and excersize every day. ;) (He responded badly to caninsulin, which I guess also answers your question: Yes, canines can get it too. Sorry!!! More so since people overfeed their pets. Basically, they can get whatever illness we can get. It's a body, like ours, just covered with fur.). From what I understand, if an animal has T2 (which he doesn't), they can be put an a meat-only diet and be fine: Low carb, just like people. But in Night's case it's insulin injections every day, because he doesn't make any insulin at all and proteine gives him painful and potentially deadly bladder chrystals. So we don't mind being home at set times. Sometimes my mom in law will do the honours for an evening, but we haven't been on vacation in years. It's an easy trade to make, we love Night so very much, we'd do anything for him. He's blind as a bat and missing one eye, but he is one happy, very vocal and affectionate cat. Acts like he's 2 years old instead of 13+. :) He really is a joyful little panther. I still tell him he's the most handsome cat in The Netherlands, and I do think he believes it. I know I do. ;)

So.. Pets can be diabetic... But there's no reason for your dog to be. So keep it from the Mrs. ;)

Attachments

• 41897918_10156359278576638_1481186744098357248_o.jpg
    41897918_10156359278576638_1481186744098357248_o.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 101

T2#Me

*blushing* Thank you. All I'm doing is what other members did for me when I came here. Trying to just do my bit. :) As for the cat, sure, cats can be diabetic. He had pancreatitis, which almost killed him, and then it was more scar tissue than pancreas, so that put an end to his insulin production. It was touch and go for a bit there, but as long as he wasn't giving up, we weren't either. He gets 2 units of Lantus at 6 in the morning and at 6 at night. We haven't had to check his bloods regularly anymore since he was switched to people insulin, since he gets the same amount of food and insulin and excersize every day. ;) (He responded badly to caninsulin, which I guess also answers your question: Yes, canines can get it too. Sorry!!! More so since people overfeed their pets. Basically, they can get whatever illness we can get. It's a body, like ours, just covered with fur.). From what I understand, if an animal has T2 (which he doesn't), they can be put an a meat-only diet and be fine: Low carb, just like people. But in Night's case it's insulin injections every day, because he doesn't make any insulin at all and proteine gives him painful and potentially deadly bladder chrystals. So we don't mind being home at set times. Sometimes my mom in law will do the honours for an evening, but we haven't been on vacation in years. It's an easy trade to make, we love Night so very much, we'd do anything for him. He's blind as a bat and missing one eye, but he is one happy, very vocal and affectionate cat. Acts like he's 2 years old instead of 13+. :) He really is a joyful little panther. I still tell him he's the most handsome cat in The Netherlands, and I do think he believes it. I know I do. ;)

So.. Pets can be diabetic... But there's no reason for your dog to be. So keep it from the Mrs. ;)
How interesting ... thanks for that, amazing what you learn ... I'm with you entirely as regards love for pets, we are gaga about our dog, who is 13 going on 3, and is clearly the most handsome and loving Jack Russell ever, very fit because my wife is firm with his food and exercise ... he is a blessing to us. Turns out my wife knew all about diabetes in cats and dogs .... that woman is very deep, even after 45 years of marriage. ;) Appreciate your usual kind assistance ...