Travelling Abroad For The First Time Since Diagnosis

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I travel all over the world pretty frequently - 16 trips so far this year including Turkey, USA and South Korea. I carry all my paraphernalia in my hand luggage including pens, insulin cartridges, needles, meter and various tablets.

Never had any trouble. Very occasionally they open the bag, but they have seen diabetes kit many times and there is never an issue. I used to have a letter, but no-one ever looked at it. I don't put anything in plastic bags.

D

Deleted Account

Don't worry about putting your Frio pouches into a plastic bag, just tell security that you have insulin in your handbag and you shouldn't have any problems. I've literally travelled all over the world with insulin in Frio pouches and no-one has ever asked to see it, or my letter from my GP listing my medication. Enjoy your holiday!
If the x-ray can see insulin as a liquid, it cannot determine what type of liquid it is.
I have had my bag pulled over because a vial of insulin was detected not in a clear plastic bag.
They were happy once they saw the vial for what it was.
Medicine is not counted in your liquid limit so can go in a separate plastic bag to your cosmetics.

It seems insulin pens seem to hide the liquid insulin from the x-rays (or the x-ray operator is familiar with their shape) but if I have separate vials or cartridges, I would now put them in a clear plastic bag.

Clearly, different airports deal with things differently but I try to make life as easy as possible and as clear as possible for the security staff.

chris-cycle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
After some advice please.... I’m flying to Greece in a week or so and have bought myself a couple of Frio pouches for my insulin but I’m a little confused about getting through the airport with insulin.
I’ve read that it should be in a clear plastic bag, so do I put the Frio bag inside one of the clear plastic bags or wait to use the Frio until I’m through the security check.
I’m carrying a novopen echo with my novorapid in a cartridge and tresiba in the pre filled pen.
Can’t believe how much stuff I’m going to have to take for one week!
Hi. I'm Chris, and have had type one since the age of thirteen. January 1958 !! Its really been most of my life. I created a small insulated "man bag" to carry my insulin for a two month cycle tour in Thailand this February March. The temperature was between 38 c and 42 c every day. As we were tenting there was no chance of refrigeration. I simply added two glasses of ice blocks every twelve hours. My digital thermometer recorded a perfect 5.3 c continuously. As the ice blocks melted the temperature LOWERED. This because the end of the battery digital thermometer was then in iced water. I then purchased ice from the next rural little shop ! It was a great success.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Hi,
After some advice please.... I’m flying to Greece in a week or so and have bought myself a couple of Frio pouches for my insulin but I’m a little confused about getting through the airport with insulin.
I’ve read that it should be in a clear plastic bag, so do I put the Frio bag inside one of the clear plastic bags or wait to use the Frio until I’m through the security check.
I’m carrying a novopen echo with my novorapid in a cartridge and tresiba in the pre filled pen.
Can’t believe how much stuff I’m going to have to take for one week!

I travel Germany to Birmingham all the time and I just leave my insulin kit in its little case and nobody has ever asked me about it. I have sometimes put the insulin pens in the liquid bag and it is also ignored.

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there, it’s merely a precaution. But I’ve never ever had a letter with me and never had a problem.
I’ve been a T1D for 27 years now. Lots of holidays and business trips
I have been stopped a few times, tried to show my letter but never got that far, all I had to say was that it is insulin and that I'm a diabetic.