Type 2 Hot chocolate

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are there any good hot chocolates out there?
Thinking of diet ones for Less sugar.

Reactions: kitedoc

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Probably not hot chocolate because that is mainly sugar/sweetener.
Cocoa powder is a better starting point, perhaps, and double cream instead of milk or water.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you’re also looking at low carb then Cadbury’s Highlights come in at 4.5g carb per 200mls made up as directed. I only have it ocassionally now as I prefer to eat my carbs rather than drink them these days ;)

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I have the Highlights bourneville and make it up with hemp milk rather than water. One of my favourite treats.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make a 'milk' with water and pure cream, add a teaspoon or so of dutch cocoa powder and a sprinkle of monkfruit sweetener, warm it up and yum, hot chocolate

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the Highlights bourneville and make it up with hemp milk rather than water. One of my favourite treats.

Ooo Bourneville Highlights! Hadn’t come across that one, even better at 3.6g carbs made up as directed. One for the store cupboard I think :hungry: Thanks for posting!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
What’s the difference between cocoa powder and the hot chocolate drinks?

Really just want a treat on a Sunday or something other than tea.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hot chocolate drinks are sweetened with sugar but the diet ones have less sugar and then sweetener added. Cocoa isn’t sweetened.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use hot water, cocoa powder (green and blacks), double cream and erythritol.

All the commercial drinking chocolates are full of sugar, powdered milk (usually skimmed) or whiteners (based on glucose syrup) and artificial sweeteners.

Here is a delicious low carb hot chocolate recipe.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-hot-chocolate

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use half milk half cream in my frother then just pour it over a square of 80% chocolate- it's sweet enough without adding sweetener although I don't have a very sweet tooth

Reactions: Diane60

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Ooo Bourneville Highlights! Hadn’t come across that one, even better at 3.6g carbs made up as directed. One for the store cupboard I think :hungry: Thanks for posting!

Is that Cadbury’s highlights?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Green & Blacks cocoa powder is 2g carbs per teaspoon (I find 1 spoon is enough), so most of the carbs will come from your milk. It doesn’t dissolve very easily though.

It’s not bad with hot water, otherwise try almond milk, but that’s an acquired taste.

Reactions: Elaine p

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Green & Blacks cocoa powder is 2g carbs per teaspoon (I find 1 spoon is enough), so most of the carbs will come from your milk. It doesn’t dissolve very easily though.
To make hot chocolate with cocoa powder you first put the powder in the cup, add a few drops of milk, water or cream and stir until you have a thin paste. Only then you add the rest of the milk/water/cream. Dissolves fine that way, and I should know as I'm Dutch and always made my chocolate with cocoa and sugar instead of those instant things. Have stopped drinking it when I became diabetic but might try again with a sweetener.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too and I haven’t got any cocoa in the cupboard!
I have, but as I've been diagnosed for two years now and didn't drink a lot of it before diagnosis, the inside of the package now looks like spiderwebs wit a couple of empty larvae skins in the mix. Still smells good though, but I still think I'll skip. (And yes, I checked today after reading this thread)