Confused/Rollercoaster BS Levels

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your choice of over 100gm of carbs a day might be stopping you changing over to using fat for fuel.
We do not need any carbohydrate 'for energy' as we can use fats - and they are more efficient. I eat 40 gm of carbs a day as a maximum, I lowered my blood glucose to the top end of normal on 50 gm max, but stopped losing weight, but just today I think things are starting to change.
I eat meat fish and shellfish eggs and cheese as my basic diet, then add low carb veges and fruits such as berries just for their taste and some variety week to week.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A matter of opinion I think especially where Type 2 is concerned..

Indeed.

But type 2 is a complex thing, and because most people get it an older age their health experiences, and needs, are very very very different.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Half the time I feel like I am starving myself and then when I eat I see my BS sugar levels go up. then feel lethargic and then my hands are trembling. I then think I need to go for a walk to get my BS back down again. Then when I get back from my walk, test BS again, but then feel hungry again later. I am trying to stick to 120g of carbs per day or less. Some days I feel ok and some days like today I feel cr*p.

It might be worth keeping a diary to see what happens on the days you feel good, and what happens on the days you feel bad.

If you are managing to keep your blood sugar in normal range with 120g then that gives you a fair bit of flexibility, to eat food that is relatively low in carbs, but reasonably filling.

It might be worth having a little look at some of the low carb food ideas, but don't let them convert you, if you are managing fine on 120g.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed.

But type 2 is a complex thing, and because most people get it an older age their health experiences, and needs, are very very very different.
But of course as there are no essential dietary carbs then there is presumably no essential dietary fruit?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But of course as there are no essential dietary carbs then there is presumably no essential dietary fruit?

There are essential nutrients, like minerals, and vitamins. People have to chose a diet that contains those nutrients from the foods available, the more nutrient rich foods you exclude from your diet, the harder you make this.

Most of the food highest in vitamin c are fruits, unfortunately because vegetables are often eaten cooked, if you want vitamin c fruit is best.

People with diabetes often have vitamin c deficiency, mainly because as an anti oxidant it has to work very hard, but also type 2s often don't eat enough plant based foods, before diagnosis.

If you want to avoid fruit, go ahead, but don't play preacher, with a food group that has so many important nutrients.

If people have to follow a very low carb diet then avoiding fruit is probably a necessity, but otherwise I would argue that the benefits that come from the nutrients in fruit make it a very valuable food.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are essential nutrients, like minerals, and vitamins. People have to chose a diet that contains those nutrients from the foods available, the more nutrient rich foods you exclude from your diet, the harder you make this.

Most of the food highest in vitamin c are fruits, unfortunately because vegetables are often eaten cooked, if you want vitamin c fruit is best.

People with diabetes often have vitamin c deficiency, mainly because as an anti oxidant it has to work very hard, but also type 2s often don't eat enough plant based foods, before diagnosis.

If you want to avoid fruit, go ahead, but don't play preacher, with a food group that has so many important nutrients.

If people have to follow a very low carb diet then avoiding fruit is probably a necessity, but otherwise I would argue that the benefits that come from the nutrients in fruit make it a very valuable food.
Not sure how I am "playing preacher" whatever that means.
The essential nature of vitamin C is currently being brought under scrutiny as there seem to be an ever growing cohort of people following a carnivore way of eating who get comparatively little of it but strangely don't seem to develop the scurvy that some claim they will. It may well be the case that for those following a ketogenic or carnivore way of eating then vit C becomes far less important.
For those who develop Type 2 a previous high carb diet could well be the cause of the deficiency so once the ingestion of carbs ceases they require less and less. Thus the importance of fruits has to come under question especially when they have been bred to increase their sugar content exponentially in the past few decades as well as being available year round when previously they would have had a very short season allowing them to "fatten us up" for the winter. Is it a coincidence that their season is for the most part summer and autumn?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even my lovely diabetes nurse at my first post diagnostic appointment, who was pushing the Eatwell Plate for all she was worth, told me to only eat certain fruits in moderation, one portion max a day, always as part of a meal and never as a stand alone snack. That piece of advice must have come from somewhere. That was nearly 5 years ago. These days she is more enlightened as regards low carb and believe it or not, high fat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that vitamin C from narwhal skin is an essential component in the diet of people living in the far North.

Reactions: slinkimalinki

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

100 gm brocolli gives you 82 mg of Vitamin C, 100gm apple gives you 11mg. I know which one I will be eating.

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not eat veg since I was a child because of the smell and texture which makes me want to throw up, before diabetes I ate a fair bit of fruit instead. However I do like salad. I like cucumber, tomato, lettuce, onion, red onion, red pepper I also read similar to a comment earlier about going for a walk about 15 mins after eating. For example yesterday 2 hours 15mins after my meal by BS was at 7.6mmol so I went for my usual walk and got down to 5.5mmol.