this whole thing is a crock of ****

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
A few of the replies here are a bit abrupt - people come here to vent so lets be tolerant/ empathetic of that - equally some people need help but don't know how to ask. We need to hear from @ROSIE1988 . Something has triggered a very emotional response and it is linked to an extended stay in hospital.
Rosie - is there something this forum can help you with? Or have you had an experience which you think would be helpful for us to hear about? Please do share. This sounds like a difficult time for you but you experience may help others and if we can help you or support you we will do.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am exhausted...I have been in hospital myself and I have also been caring for my mother.

I have literally just had my mind blown with all the things doctors have said to me and said around me..

my mother is 83 - she has been diabetic since she was 50

she refused any drugs until she was 78...then she got sick!? after she took metformin!!!!!!!!!!!!

until that point she was strong, had good legs, looked after grandchildren,

she is currently dying in in a hospice, she collapsed last week - she was so strong until she went on statins and metformin etc etc...…

I have other health issues, but I cannot get over the comments from the medics about metformin etc etc

ALL THE DOCTORS AND CONSULTANTS I HAVE SPOKEN TO - AND THERE ARE MANY - HAVE DENOUNCED METFORMIN AND STATINS!!!!!!!! AND YES I WOULD LIKE TO TYPE ANOTHER 69 EXPLANATION MARKS!!!

WE NEED TO STOP AND THINK!

EVERYONE ON THE WARD WAS ON METFORMIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- AND I HEARD AND SAW ALL THE DOCTORS TAKE EACH AND EVERY PATIENT OFF METFORMIN IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = ALARM BELL!

THAT IS THE FIRST THING THEY SAY. SO IN THE LOCAL SURGERY THEY ARE GETTING YOU ON IT, FOR A COMMISSION, NO DOUBT FROM THE PHARMA! - AND IN THE MAIN HOSPITAL WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN TAKEN IN REALLY POORLY - THAT IS THE FIRST THING THEY TAKE YOU OFF!!

I WONT APOLOGISE FOR THE CPAITALS OR EXPLANATION MARKS! I CARE ABOUT ALL THIS

LIKE I SAID ITS A CROCK OF ****.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
zand said:
Can I ask what drugs you yourself are taking since you pass judgement on the rest of us without knowing what drugs we take and why we take them?

My doc won't prescribe metformin anymore, but I wish he would as it has many protective qualities, protection against some cancers for example. I suspect doctors (like mine) are taking people off drugs to save the NHS money in the short term. That's a daft short-sighted view in my opinion.

WHY?

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!

Sixty nine exclamation marks is a lot.

factorial.jpg
I HAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am exhausted...I have been in hospital myself and I have also been caring for my mother.

I have literally just had my mind blown with all the things doctors have said to me and said around me..

she refused any drugs until she was 78...then she got sick!? after she took metformin!!!!!!!!!!!!

she is currently dying in in a hospice, she collapsed last week - she was so strong until she went on statins and metformin etc etc...…

I have other health issues, but I cannot get over the comments from the medics about metformin etc etc

ALL THE DOCTORS AND CONSULTANTS I HAVE SPOKEN TO - AND THERE ARE MANY - HAVE DENOUNCED METFORMIN AND STATINS!!!!!!!! AND YES I WOULD LIKE TO TYPE ANOTHER 69 EXPLANATION MARKS!!!

EVERYONE ON THE WARD WAS ON METFORMIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- AND I HEARD AND SAW ALL THE DOCTORS TAKE EACH AND EVERY PATIENT OFF METFORMIN IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = ALARM BELL!

THAT IS THE FIRST THING THEY SAY. SO IN THE LOCAL SURGERY THEY ARE GETTING YOU ON IT, FOR A COMMISSION, NO DOUBT FROM THE PHARMA! - AND IN THE MAIN HOSPITAL WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN TAKEN IN REALLY POORLY - THAT IS THE FIRST THING THEY TAKE YOU OFF!!

There is no reason for some one your mothers age and gender to take statins a drug viewed with much suspicion here and far more likely to be the culprit rather than metformin .

I am sorry to see that both you and your mum have been poorly and can understand better now the tone of your opening post you have my sympathy for what it's worth.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
zand said:
Can I ask what drugs you yourself are taking since you pass judgement on the rest of us without knowing what drugs we take and why we take them?

My doc won't prescribe metformin anymore, but I wish he would as it has many protective qualities, protection against some cancers for example. I suspect doctors (like mine) are taking people off drugs to save the NHS money in the short term. That's a daft short-sighted view in my opinion.

WHY?
Because of cost to the NHS and because I am getting pre diabetic HbA1c numbers. I have been on metformin twice, both times it has helped me achieve my 'best' HbA1cs and both times I have been taken off it with the warning that unless I lose weight I will need it again! Metformin helps stop IR and helps me lose weight. So I can't have a drug that has helped me lose weight because it has helped me out of the diabetic range, yet the doctor thinks without it I will be 'diabetic' this time. That's just plain crazy.

It's undoubtedly the statin and not the metformin that has caused your mother's problems. I would never take them as there has never been any clinical evidence to show that statins are of any benefit at all to women. Older women need higher cholesterol anyway, so it's just plain stupid to try to artificially lower it.

I am generally of the opinion that it's best to be drugfree. I don't take painkillers when I have a headache. I prefer to be kind to my liver and just get over the headache naturally. Some drugs though can be of benefit long term, these drugs tend to be the older more tried and tested ones. Metformin is one of these. The older ones are also usually cheaper because the developmental and research costs have all been covered years back and it's only the day to day cost of producing them which have to be met now.

I agree with your stance on drugs, but don't lump metformin in with the rest of them It's not the bad guy.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes we do. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Metformin is not the culprit.

I would be interested to know if the doctors also threw out low fat spreads and artificial sweeteners both of which do more harm than metformin.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they bother to tell you why? That could be very useful information for people here.. with or without the exclamation marks..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ROSIE1988 - Could I ask what sort of ward your Mother was in when you seemed to witness quite a lot of people coming off Metformin? Was it a diabetes ward?

In my own observational experience, I have observed, when visiting folks on Diabetes wards, that many are taken off Metformin, but they are taken off it because they need a bit more pharmacological support with their diabetes than the Metformin can provide. Those who are on diabetes wards, with, say infections or complications are put onto insulin; either as a temporary measure to get a fast grip of runaway blood sugars (maybe due to infection, or maybe due to other factors), and others as a longer term means of controlling their diabetes, where oral medications have simply not been up to the job, for that individual, for whatever reason.

In terms of leg pain; some people on Metformin do go on to experience leg cramps, which can usually be remedied quite simply.

Leg pains can be due to a great many things - some diabetes related, and some simply not, and of course, in someone of a decent age, old age will also be in the mix.

Statins are always the subject of some vigorous debate on here. Some tolerate them very well, and others, like @Squire Fulwood find their reaction to be quite negatively dramatic. From memory, I recall he states he ended up unable to move from his armchair, but he may choose to comment for himself (or he may not want to do that. That's his choice.)

You are clearly under a lot of stress a the moment, but I would ask you please not to lash out at people on this site who are keen to show you support and discuss any concerns you have. Unfortunately, the use of widespread capitalisation and exclamation marks doesn't create a great environment to do that.

I hope you are recovering from your own spell in hospital. It's nit good being under the weather when you want to be caring for other

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ROSIE1988

Statins are always the subject of some vigorous debate on here. Some tolerate them very well, and others, like @Squire Fulwood find their reaction to be quite negatively dramatic. From memory, I recall he states he ended up unable to move from his armchair, but he may choose to comment for himself (or he may not want to do that. That's his choice.)

Four different brands of statins were tried. With two of them I had leg pains and spent two (separate) months in my chair. A third one affected my arms and neck and caused me to be sent to the physio. Stopping the pills cured it. The fourth was discontinued by me since I believed I detected the arm problem again and I didn't want to take any risks. I am now recorded as "Intolerant of Statins".

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would really appreciate if you could list the reasons the doctors at the hospital gave for taking everyone off Metformin. At the moment I am in remission and no longer inject insulin but who knows what the future will bring and it may be that I will need metformin if the low carb stops working. It will be very helpful to know what issues there are with metformin so I can make an informed decision on whether to take It -- or not.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Four different brands of statins were tried. With two of them I had leg pains and spent two (separate) months in my chair. A third one affected my arms and neck and caused me to be sent to the physio. Stopping the pills cured it. The fourth was discontinued by me since I believed I detected the arm problem again and I didn't want to take any risks. I am now recorded as "Intolerant of Statins".
I am the same, but as it took 6 years to recover muscle strength I never got to try any more brands of statins. My doctor said that I was 'risk adverse ' because I wouldn't try any more brands. I just thought that it really wasn't worth the risk to get two extra days of life (actually one consultant told me statins wouldn't even extend my life by one day).

Reactions: ziggy_w
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same, but as it took 6 years to recover muscle strength I never got to try any more brands of statins. My doctor said that I was 'risk adverse ' because I wouldn't try any more brands. I just thought that it really wasn't worth the risk to get two extra days of life (actually one consultant told me statins wouldn't even extend my life by one day).
Years ago a doctor suspected that I had not taken some pills he prescribed. In fact I had taken them and I don't know how the misunderstanding happened. He gave me grief since I think he wrote something in the notes.

With my current DN I made the decision that I would take every pill she prescribed and if something broke then it was up to her to fix it. After the four lots of statins even she gave up but I was beginning to think she wouldn't.

It was me that stopped the Metformin since it took my taste away and everything just tasted like burnt plastic.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago a doctor suspected that I had not taken some pills he prescribed. In fact I had taken them and I don't know how the misunderstanding happened. He gave me grief since I think he wrote something in the notes.

With my current DN I made the decision that I would take every pill she prescribed and if something broke then it was up to her to fix it. After the four lots of statins even she gave up but I was beginning to think she wouldn't.

It was me that stopped the Metformin since it took my taste away and everything just tasted like burnt plastic.
Thank goodness your DN did give up on the statins.
That is a very interesting side effect of Metformin. I would also have given up on it. Especially as this low carb way of eating is such a joy as the food is so delicious compared with my low fat high carb way of eating previously.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

as metformin has to be taken with food, it is standard hospital procedure to stop metformin if a patient is nil by mouth, or unable to eat, or 48 hoursbefore a planned procedure, and often 48 hour after as well.