high sugars an ketones

paula71

my sugar level where high yesterday but are gradually coming down today.my main worry is i have had +4 ketones and have been feeling sick aswell any advice on what i ambest doing

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Paula, I think you must call NHS Direct straight away if your sugar levels are still high. High ketones and high blood sugar can be very serious and require urgent attention.

Call NHS Direct 0845 4647 or http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

paula71

thanks for your advice daisy,i think i will have too coz my sugars have gone up agen ther now 27.5 an my ketones are still +4.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
In my opinion you should go to A&E now.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Well done Daisy.......it's good that you were around to offer appropriate help and advice to the new Member Paula when she needed it. Saturday is usually a slow day on here...... :D

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
hope you are ok paula.can anyone tell me why ketones are bad because even thought ive had type 1 for over 41 years no-one has ever told me what happens if you get keytones.ive had blood sugars of 22 and felt really ill and sick but never gave any extra insulin and waited till my sugars got lower but what would happen if i had keytones?and can i do anything to prevent keytones

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
sugarybibs said:
hope you are ok paula.can anyone tell me why ketones are bad because even thought ive had type 1 for over 41 years no-one has ever told me what happens if you get keytones.ive had blood sugars of 22 and felt really ill and sick but never gave any extra insulin and waited till my sugars got lower but what would happen if i had keytones?and can i do anything to prevent keytones

As a Type 1, you particularly need to know about Ketones and DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis). It is extremely important that you know about these subjects. DKA is a medical emergency and can be life threatening. The OP was complaining of high Bg levels, high Ketones and also feeling unwell, classic symptoms of DKA. Hospital was the place for Paula, as if it was DKA, it needs treating urgently.

There are a couple of informative pages and videos on the Community pages which explain things :

Ketones.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html

Diabetic Ketoacidosis
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-comp ... dosis.html

Hope the information helps........

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Hi Cugila just going to look at site you have gave me thanks.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Paula :) I hope you are feeling better now - let us know how you are as soon as you get in front of a computer again. I have been thinking about you. :)