Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 for Prick and Tell - cold and dark and those are the good points. Months of absurd amounts of clothes and artificial light ahead:arghh::arghh::arghh:
The like is for the reading, I totally get your angst about the winter months, long dark nights, lights on in the middle of the afternoon and coats, I hate wearing coats. I have however been treated to a very gorgeous new coat, many sizes smaller than last years so I might not look like a beached whale this year! I also enjoy candles as they give light and warmth much better than lots of light bulbs ;)

Reactions: bigjim19

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all, 5.9 this morning and I’m happy enough as I did have a glass of almond milk and some almond nut clusters at bedtime. Would have been interesting to see what my first reading would have been without the bedtime snack as I was 4.8 when I went to bed.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The like is for the reading, I totally get your angst about the winter months, long dark nights, lights on in the middle of the afternoon and coats, I hate wearing coats. I have however been treated to a very gorgeous new coat, many sizes smaller than last years so I might not look like a beached whale this year! I also enjoy candles as they give light and warmth much better than lots of light bulbs ;)
Enjoy your new coat - and well done on dropping many sizes. I have felt the need to keep bigger outerwear and buy layers for underneath to avoid continually shivering.

Reactions: GrumpyOldPhart

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your new coat - and well done on dropping many sizes. I have felt the need to keep bigger outerwear and buy layers for underneath to avoid continually shivering.
I feel the cold much more now, not having additional layers of fat the cold reaches my bones too quickly for my liking, I’m much happier with blue skies, sunshine and warmth.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel the cold much more now, not having additional layers of fat the cold reaches my bones too quickly for my liking, I’m much happier with blue skies, sunshine and warmth.
Off topic but a big bugbear is the sheer amount of washing/changes of clothes autumn/winter (AW has suddenly become a thing) requires. Get up in exercise kit plus loads of layers until sensible time for heating; layers and wet gear for dog walking or garden work - wet and dirty gear for me and dogs to clean; fresh kit. Different wet gear again to make chickens safe. Nightmare:banghead:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @jayney I hope so, but I fear it's just a blip as I didn't eat much last night. I made a beef stew/casserole in slow cooker (24 hours) but it was horrible. I could only eat a small amount. The rest went into the food recycling bin today.
I hate wasting food but it really was inedible.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @jayney I hope so, but I fear it's just a blip as I didn't eat much last night. I made a beef stew/casserole in slow cooker (24 hours) but it was horrible. I could only eat a small amount. The rest went into the food recycling bin today.
I hate wasting food but it really was inedible.
Oh no what a shame, any idea what went wrong? I have recently started to look for things to make in my multi cooker, used to make lots of casserole/stew type recipes but they will need adapting now to make them lower carb. The slow cooker is a great help as I work full time, it’s lovely to drive home knowing that dinner is already made. Unfortunately I cannot bring my lovely bread maker out again :arghh:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used some defrosted roasting beef I had in freezer, chopped up some potato, carrots, swede and turnip, put some frozen beef stock and a sachet of 'Beef Casserole' mix in and put it on low for 24 hours expecting the beef to come out really tender.
But it was tough, and didn't taste good at all. I should look up a recipe next time.
It was first time I had used the slow cooker for months.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no what a shame, any idea what went wrong? I have recently started to look for things to make in my multi cooker, used to make lots of casserole/stew type recipes but they will need adapting now to make them lower carb. The slow cooker is a great help as I work full time, it’s lovely to drive home knowing that dinner is already made. Unfortunately I cannot bring my lovely bread maker out again :arghh:
iagree i really miss making my own bread too... i did make some nut and seed bread a few times bit like pumpernickel type bread ..that was nice..

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
iagree i really miss making my own bread too... i did make some nut and seed bread a few times bit like pumpernickel type bread ..that was nice..
Hi, I need to look into recipes for low carb bread that I can make in my bread maker, I’m too attached to the memories of coming home or waking up to fresh bread to get rid of it.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used some defrosted roasting beef I had in freezer, chopped up some potato, carrots, swede and turnip, put some frozen beef stock and a sachet of 'Beef Casserole' mix in and put it on low for 24 hours expecting the beef to come out really tender.
But it was tough, and didn't taste good at all. I should look up a recipe next time.
It was first time I had used the slow cooker for months.
It may have been the cut of beef, I think braising steak is better, also most supermarkets and butchers now sell cubed beef that states to be used for casseroles. It may also have been the length of cooking time, some slow cookers have quite a high temperature even for the lowest setting, so it might have overcooked a bit.
Better luck next time, don’t give up as when you get it right it’s a wonderful meal.

Reactions: Prem51

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good Morning all
3.2 CareSens Dual @ 07:00
4. Glucomen lx2 @ 07:00
I am trying to use up the strips hence the multiple meter tests.
Any hoo, come the 1st of November, its cease and desist for all other meters, because I am sticking to just the freestyle Optium Neo, and that alone.
I have 400strips of that meter to use up this year.