insulin injections - one handed

millviewjane

Hello, i am querying on behalf of my mother-in-law who has recently had a massive stroke. Prior to her stroke she was able to prime her pen and inject herself as she had the use of both hands to turn the dial on the pen. Since her stroke she no longer has the use of her left arm and is finding it difficult to turn the dial on her pen to the correct dosage. I know that district nurses will have to attend to this problem but to give her more freedom from home visits she is really keen to administer everything herself. She is still capable of doing the injection part. My question is this - Are there any pens out there where you can digitally set the dosage that is to be administered? Also there is the problem of testing the blood sugars as the blood flow in her bad arm isnt good so we need to know if there is anything that can be operated easily with one hand to test the blood also. Many thanks for your help. :D

Siobhan

what insulin is she on? I remember seeing a digital pen i think it was on the lily website the company who make humalog, it may have been an american website though.

iHs

Hello :)

Lilly launched an insulin pen called the Humapen Memoir but as yet its not available in the UK. It has a digital display and also a memory function that will record when the last dose of insulin was injected etc. Unfortunately, it does need two hands though.

An alternative for your mum would be the Owen Mumford Autopen. This is available on prescription and works with Lilly and Aventis insulin cartridges. Unfortunately Novo cartridges wont fit. The pen has the release button on the side and can more or less be used one handed. It is ideal for those who have dexterity problems.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I make jewellery sometimes and need another hand, so I can use a little clamp, which holds the bits I need. It's gentle and might just solve the problem. Try jewllery or craft shops or web sites. I wish her well. I survived a stroke 5 years ago and have worked hard to get back my mobility and dexterity.

sofaraway

try looking up the innolet pen it has a big clock like dial to dial the dose which can be done one handed and then a big button to push down the dose. i think it would be fairly easy to use one handed. the only problem is it only comes with certain insulins, so it would depend what insulin she is on.

nicnaknoo

iHs said:
Hello :)

Lilly launched an insulin pen called the Humapen Memoir but as yet its not available in the UK. It has a digital display and also a memory function that will record when the last dose of insulin was injected etc. Unfortunately, it does need two hands though.

An alternative for your mum would be the Owen Mumford Autopen. This is available on prescription and works with Lilly and Aventis insulin cartridges. Unfortunately Novo cartridges wont fit. The pen has the release button on the side and can more or less be used one handed. It is ideal for those who have dexterity problems.

Hiya,
Just wanted to say ive got this pen, i received it from my nurse at the diabetes clinic. I have had it since april time so if anyone is wanting one i would ask your nurse. I am quite lucky that my nurse gives me all the latest pens i have a normal lily one, a digital lily one and one that gives me half measures which is great.
Unfortunately it does take two hands though