Ongoing diagnosis.

He_Who_Is_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Few weeks back had gone to drs about feeling unwell. Blood sugars were high and was already on metformin from the July previously hba1c was 40 then. Turns out my liver and kidneys in that time have deteriorated by 50%. Dr stopped metformin and put me on 100mg sitagliptin. This combined with a reduction in carbs had my bloods in the 5-7 range almost 24/7. After 3 weeks went back for more blood tests. Hba1c was 81 almost double the year before. Dr said not to worry as changes wouldn't show more until next blood test scheduled for 4 weeks. He asked me to take Gliclazide 80mg once a day until the next test. In still keeping my carb intake low and keeping active as usual with work and home (not fitting gym in as much as I'd like while working on house) but nothing else has changed. Now since starting the gliclazide I've got skin rashes and my blood sugars are all over the place 13 before bed last night? My highest before this drug was 8.2 (on sitagliptin) Dr seems to think the metformin affected my liver and kidneys so much that it caused the blood sugar issues. But now I think the gliclazide might be doing same. Tested this morning on waking 7.7. After no breakfast and taking medication I'm 9.3? I've been up active since 6am with my son before work. Anyone had similar issues?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't advise on the medication, but I would say that you might not get the increase in BG levels in the morning if you eat something soon after getting up.
I saw that my BG levels rose until I ate - something with fat and protein and a few carbs would work best - I was eating 50 gm of carb a day and would have perhaps 10 gm of that for breakfast. It seemed to reassure my metabolism that there was food around and I did not need to go and chase something to eat.
I hope that your liver and kidney function get better - Metformin has a 'this is safe' label but I felt dreadful taking it for only a few weeks.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been finding that if I fast from evening afternoon the following day my BG levels continue to rise until I eat. This is despite a heavy exercise session in the swimming pool before eating. Suggests as @Resurgam mentions that some food early after getting up would help.
As for the medication, back to the doctors would be my advice.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Few weeks back had gone to drs about feeling unwell. Blood sugars were high and was already on metformin from the July previously hba1c was 40 then. Turns out my liver and kidneys in that time have deteriorated by 50%. Dr stopped metformin and put me on 100mg sitagliptin. This combined with a reduction in carbs had my bloods in the 5-7 range almost 24/7. After 3 weeks went back for more blood tests. Hba1c was 81 almost double the year before. Dr said not to worry as changes wouldn't show more until next blood test scheduled for 4 weeks. He asked me to take Gliclazide 80mg once a day until the next test. In still keeping my carb intake low and keeping active as usual with work and home (not fitting gym in as much as I'd like while working on house) but nothing else has changed. Now since starting the gliclazide I've got skin rashes and my blood sugars are all over the place 13 before bed last night? My highest before this drug was 8.2 (on sitagliptin) Dr seems to think the metformin affected my liver and kidneys so much that it caused the blood sugar issues. But now I think the gliclazide might be doing same. Tested this morning on waking 7.7. After no breakfast and taking medication I'm 9.3? I've been up active since 6am with my son before work. Anyone had similar issues?

Hi there - I'm sorry Je_Who_Is_T, I don't really know that much about you, so I'll start with a ew questions if I may.

I can't quite tell when you were diagnosed initially, but at your current age, you're at the lower age of most T2. That in itself means nothing, but if your blood sugars have gone awry very quickly, I'm wondering if a few more tests might help you out.

Have you lost any weight in recent time, around your numbers going awry? Do you, or did you carry any excess weight, and have you routinely been testing your own bloods at home - when you were on Metformin, as well as you obviously are now, on Gliclazide?

He_Who_Is_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there - I'm sorry Je_Who_Is_T, I don't really know that much about you, so I'll start with a ew questions if I may.

I can't quite tell when you were diagnosed initially, but at your current age, you're at the lower age of most T2. That in itself means nothing, but if your blood sugars have gone awry very quickly, I'm wondering if a few more tests might help you out.

Have you lost any weight in recent time, around your numbers going awry? Do you, or did you carry any excess weight, and have you routinely been testing your own bloods at home - when you were on Metformin, as well as you obviously are now, on Gliclazide?

Hi,

I'm 36, I work night's and am active during the day so sleep poorly/infrequently. The tests in July 17 told me to take metformin for 3 months then retest. July was 40 then October was 33 so nurse told me to stop metformin and come back if any issues. No problems until started feeling unwell in June, numbness in hands feet, chest pain, falling asleep with very little control almost blacking out, non-stop urination was unquenchable thirst. I restarted metformin but not always remembered. Then July 18 he said to continue with the metformin 2x500mg a day for 2 weeks strictly until had blood tests. Called me back in for emergency appointment after tests to tell me about liver and kidneys. Stopped metformin then started 100mg Sitagliptin. Awful pain in lower left abdomen for about 2 weeks but blood sugars were much better 5-6 and never over 8 even after not the best meals. Cut my carb intake drastically, removed all fizzy drinks(I drink a lot of water) and rejoined gym. I stopped going last Aug 17 which I don't think helped. My weight at that time was 113kg when weighed in May 18 was 144kg. I'm 6'4in. I've weighed since and I'm 108kg only noticed from people's comments. I'm back at gym as often as possible. Dr mentioned monitoring blood pressure as I work long hours and don't sleep as much as I should. I've taken more time off recently. I can see now my diet between July 17-18 did deteriorate in regard to carbs and the issue seemed to come to a head with me restarting drinking cherry coke. I'm hoping long term adjustments to diet and minimal medication will see a balance. I'm not going to be able to control through diet alone I think as my lifestyle won't allow to a certain degree but I'm confident the changes will help. Just my main concern is since adding gliclazide I seem to have deteriorated again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm 36, I work night's and am active during the day so sleep poorly/infrequently. The tests in July 17 told me to take metformin for 3 months then retest. July was 40 then October was 33 so nurse told me to stop metformin and come back if any issues. No problems until started feeling unwell in June, numbness in hands feet, chest pain, falling asleep with very little control almost blacking out, non-stop urination was unquenchable thirst. I restarted metformin but not always remembered. Then July 18 he said to continue with the metformin 2x500mg a day for 2 weeks strictly until had blood tests. Called me back in for emergency appointment after tests to tell me about liver and kidneys. Stopped metformin then started 100mg Sitagliptin. Awful pain in lower left abdomen for about 2 weeks but blood sugars were much better 5-6 and never over 8 even after not the best meals. Cut my carb intake drastically, removed all fizzy drinks(I drink a lot of water) and rejoined gym. I stopped going last Aug 17 which I don't think helped. My weight at that time was 113kg when weighed in May 18 was 144kg. I'm 6'4in. I've weighed since and I'm 108kg only noticed from people's comments. I'm back at gym as often as possible. Dr mentioned monitoring blood pressure as I work long hours and don't sleep as much as I should. I've taken more time off recently. I can see now my diet between July 17-18 did deteriorate in regard to carbs and the issue seemed to come to a head with me restarting drinking cherry coke. I'm hoping long term adjustments to diet and minimal medication will see a balance. I'm not going to be able to control through diet alone I think as my lifestyle won't allow to a certain degree but I'm confident the changes will help. Just my main concern is since adding gliclazide I seem to have deteriorated again.

Am I right to interpret that when you stopped going to the gym you were 113kg, but by May 18 (9 months later), you'd gone up to 144kg and you're now 108kg, or have I got the 144 and 113 round the wrong way?

Are you trying to lose weight, or has it just sort of happened?

He_Who_Is_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I right to interpret that when you stopped going to the gym you were 113kg, but by May 18 (9 months later), you'd gone up to 144kg and you're now 108kg, or have I got the 144 and 113 round the wrong way?

Are you trying to lose weight, or has it just sort of happened?

Yeah when I stopped. Nurse was happy with everything at my check up just before. Then moved house and my wife had a baby.

Recently no i wasn't trying. Hadn't really accepted to myself I'd gained a lot of weight