ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thankyou. So look at higher fat proteins is that what you are saying. I take it tour on a low carb diet?
Fatty proteins are ideal before bed and on rising.... to combat liver dumps (dawn phenomenon and morning rise).
All other proteins like lean meats or none oily fish can be kept to minimum but not to replace carbs. Lower carby foods shouldn't load up on proteins.
Protein is important but in carb absence the body will turn to protein for glucose instead.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein is important but in carb absence the body will turn to protein for glucose instead.
Seems to be that this is thought to be demand driven rather than a given.. i.e if the body thinks it needs glucose it will make it from protein if it doesn't then it won't so maybe not such a problem as has been previously thought. There are so many ex Type 2's who eat carnivore without a GNG problem that I think we would be seeing higher BG's if it were a definite "thing".

Reactions: Alison Campbell

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my BGL normaly good but woke this am with it high so got out of bed and had a black coffee unsure why it high but maybe infection will try get in the Doc's today

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Seems to be that this is thought to be demand driven rather than a given.. i.e if the body thinks it needs glucose it will make it from protein if it doesn't then it won't so maybe not such a problem as has been previously thought. There are so many ex Type 2's who eat carnivore without a GNG problem that I think we would be seeing higher BG's if it were a definite "thing".
Just me then? Mind you it could be due to my insulin makeup. Some insulins are better than others and work better for others than some.
I have huge problems with protein conversion with low carbing. I have to currently live off vegetables and those milkshakes.
I will change to lower carb milkshakes after op. However protein replaces carbs in those too.
I cannot really win but 800cals don't seem to matter where there from. Hospital want me to stop stressing and rely on insulin for the carbs involved. As I'm losing weight this way.
I don't mind for now til my weight is under control. Then I'll try again to lose insulin therapy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
my BGL normaly good but woke this am with it high so got out of bed and had a black coffee unsure why it high but maybe infection will try get in the Doc's today
Hope things improve quickly @PatsyB. Keep warm.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just me then? Mind you it could be due to my insulin makeup. Some insulins are better than others and work better for others than some.
I have huge problems with protein conversion with low carbing. I have to currently live off vegetables and those milkshakes.
I will change to lower carb milkshakes after op. However protein replaces carbs in those too.
I cannot really win but 800cals don't seem to matter where there from. Hospital want me to stop stressing and rely on insulin for the carbs involved. As I'm losing weight this way.
I don't mind for now til my weight is under control. Then I'll try again to lose insulin therapy.
As i think you'd be the first to admit you aren't really a "Typical" type 2. As some T1's also say that they have to increase insulin for protein if you aren't producing enough endogenously then it seems to be a problem but maybe if over producing then less so?
Has anyone ever done a fasting insulin test for you?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone any definite research on proteins effect on bgs please I am very confused
Carol

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone any definite research on proteins effect on bgs please I am very confused
Carol
Dr Benjamin Bikman says IF Gluconeogenesis takes place because protein is eaten, is usually when there is carbohydrate present in abundance.
https://denversdietdoctor.com/wp-co...on-The-relevance-of-dietary-protein-LCB18.pdf
Another helpful link
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html
In this link, the gist of the article is that GNG does not happen if there is no need.
It is demand driven - The body goes through GNG because it needs to.
It is not supply driven.

Last edited:

SRARY

If you replace your carbs with protein you can still get high bgs but they don't last as long as carby highs. Now that's where you have to be careful if injecting insulin but I see you're only taking metformin, is that correct?
Reduce your protein intake.

How much protein do you eat?
Do you cook with almond flour, use pork crackling for bread crumb replacements or/and snack on nuts or cheese?
It can all add up to be enough to replace carbs in converting into glucose.
I get it all of the time. Well did til I started 800cals and low carb, low fat too.
I'm losing weight whilst on insulin, once more.

Low carbs with some protein and a lot of vegetables with it are healthy and delicious and might not to need to have medicine .this works for type two diabetes.
%D9%A2%D9%A0%D9%A1%D9%A8%D9%A1%D9%A0%D9%A2%D9%A5_%D9%A1%D9%A1%D9%A3%D9%A5%D9%A5%D9%A9.jpg

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dr Benjamin Bikman says IF Gluconeogenesis takes place because protein is eaten, is usually when there is carbohydrate present in abundance.
https://denversdietdoctor.com/wp-co...on-The-relevance-of-dietary-protein-LCB18.pdf
Another helpful link
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html
In this link, the gist of the article is that GNG does not happen if there is no need.
It is demand driven - The body goes through GNG because it needs to.
It is not supply driven.
Trust me to be different.
Nope when I low carb I start processing high protein into glucose so I don't lose weight, either.
Only once I'm not high protein and not high carb and for me not high fat.... do I lose weight on low carb eating.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
[QUOTE="ickihun, post: 1913703, member: 196960]"]Trust me to be different.
Nope when I low carb I start processing high protein into glucose so I don't lose weight, either.
Only once I'm not high protein and not high carb and for me not high fat.... do I lose weight on low carb eating.[/QUOTE]
I chuckled when I read that highlighted part.
I totally get you on that point.
Its like my body and fasting.
Fasting works for practically the whole of planet earth when it comes to blood sugar control, except for a few outliers in the universe like moi and some folks on here on the site.
Our body day to day is different, lets not even talk of differences between folks.

My latest example of my body suddenly changing, happened last night.
I love nuts and practically inhale the stuff. whether its tree nuts, legumes (Pea nuts) I love the stuff and had to bottom line peanuts, it was triggering control issues I don't care to deal with around eating the stuff, or dealing with the cravings.

Yesterday I was out most of the day, and later when I could not deal with the hunger any more, since my last meal was about 8hrs prior, I went into a Lidl and bought a 55g tub of Hazelnuts. The carb count was acceptable and it had a good deal of fat in it too.
I had not had anything to eat in a while at that point and was beginning to feel 'somewhat'

Wow..just wow. within 20mins my eyes, tongue, whole jaw area including lips were swollen.
The Lidl shop I went into, was near home, and I was walking home (Mistake)
By the time I was home, my breathing was now affected.
As it turned out, Everybody was out, I was the only one at home, I ended up calling an ambulance.
The irony is that, prior to T2DM dox, I used to live on Cadbury whole nuts which had Hazelnuts.
I have had cashew nuts by the Kilogram no issues.
I used to chomp on almonds by the ton no issues.
I just don't know where this allergy emerged from.

The whole thing was scary, especially when my tongue began to swell, and I was struggling to breathe.
The ambulance crew were fantastic..very reassuring and made me feel safe.
I was glad to hear I was not about to be asphyxiated by my swollen tongue and throat.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those numbers look unrealistically high: I'm with Bulkbiker that this looks like it might be more of a testing aberration than anything else: what carbs have you been taking in?
:The other obvious issue is making sure your paws are not sticky when testing!

Daisy_Daisy

Blood sugars can be affected by Hot or Cold weather conditions, due to circulatory issues constriction, dilatation of blood vessels. Other Medications, Illness..Exercise.