I’m traveling and forgot my insulin pens at home. What else can I do to get my sugar down

Grizz 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m traveling and forgot my insulin pens at home. What else can I do to get my sugar down

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello. Are you mobile? Are you travelling within the UK? If so, I would ring the NHS advice line on 111 for guidance. Other than insulin I do not know of any other way to get your blood glucose down.

Edited to ask. What are your numbers showing at the moment?

Reactions: Freema

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Grizz 2 ,

I noticed from your other post on the site that your meter reads "HI." It's telling you your blood is anything over 33.3 mmol or 600mg/dl.?

You need to seek proffessional medical advice & replacement for the insulin you left at home in order to lower your BG levels to a safe level.

Good luck

NeilASmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So if you are saying you forgot your pens but have some insulin cartridges then you can go to any pharmacy throughout the world and buy some plastic syringes to use.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you in the UK? I think you can register as a temporary patient with a GP, hopefully get an emergency appointment, and some new pens.

I remember having to do that a few years ago while on a holiday, in the UK, but I don't know if you still can do it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I suspect the OP is based in the US, and may be looking for 'other' alternatives to reduce his BG levels, if as Jaylee has suggested his levels are 'HI' then he needs to get insulin as a matter of urgency, there is no other way to bring down 'HI' levels, so it's either abort the trip and go home or go to a pharmacy and purchase more insulin asap.

Good luck @Grizz 2 Let us know how you are and how you are getting on ?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
You need to get insulin asap @Grizz 2. With blood glucose of 30 you risk very nasty DKA.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I once read that in the USA you can get emergency insulin at a pharmacy but may be wrong.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi if you use a chemist like boots yo can go into any branch and explain they contact your chemist to check what you on and will issue a pen ,

Or go to hospital and they will give you insulin shot to sort you out and issues a prescription
I have dont both these things in past

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have hard that Walmart in the USA sells a cheap inslin without needing a prescription.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder if the OP's situation has been resolved or not it has been sometime now.

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If those numbers are accurate, I would go straight to the nearest hospital

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have hard that Walmart in the USA sells a cheap inslin without needing a prescription.
Walmart do limited types of insulin & only licenced in certain states to actually sell what they retail insulin wise... A quick Google pulled that up.!

If you're after a replacement insulin. Get what your prescribed, so you know what you are dealing with.. ;)

So if you are saying you forgot your pens but have some insulin cartridges then you can go to any pharmacy throughout the world and buy some plastic syringes to use.

But make sure they measure the correct units to insulin strength ratio in the cartridge or vial. Not all insulins prescribed are the "standard" U100.. Some can be more concentrated like U200 or U500. Then there is a "Vetsulin." You guessed it for small animals like dogs. 40U. The type of syringe for the job needs consideration...

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Walmart do limited types of insulin & only licenced in certain states to actually sell what they retail insulin wise... A quick Google pulled that up.!

If you're after a replacement insulin. Get what your prescribed, so you know what you are dealing with.. ;)

Agree in a ideal world, but many people in the US can't afford medical care.

olusennuga

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi, I agree there is no alternative way to drive down your blood sugar if you actually depended on insulin alone.

But this is a matter about your health and life. So I would guess you have cash, or your cards, so grab some money and dash to the nearest pharmacy and purchase some to keep you going.

You can reduce your holiday expenses to cope if need be. Health is Wealth, they say.

Finally, please do not eat or drink anything sugary before finally injecting your insulin!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree in a ideal world, but many people in the US can't afford medical care.

I sincerely hope you arn't suggesting this member with dangerously high BG "side step" HCP consultation & "score" an insulin with an unknown working profile or action, other than what was prescribed & directed by the member's GP...?! o_O