Type 1 High BSL before meal, what's the postprandial aim?

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is probably a stupid question lol but i just wanted to clear: normally, if you have good pre-meal bsl (say 5-7mmol), your 2hr postprandial aim would be just within +2mmol of your premeal. (Or if i listen to my endo it would be below 10.)
But what if you have high bsl (say 12+), what would you be aiming for? I'm guessing the <10 would apply? (Because you'll have been aiming to lower it anyway?)
TIA

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is, the post prandial glucose levels recommended I bet are not met by the majority of type 1 diabetics, especially if its a high car or relatively high GI meal. I personally pre-bolus 30-40 minutes before such a lunch and if my glucose levels are below the recommended 9 mmol/L after 2 hours I can almost guarantee a hypo after the novorapid has finished working by 5 hours.
I'd recommend you inject with the correction dose, wait half an hour to get it back in range before eating and then it minimizes the spike.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try looking at it without the meal involvement. If you weren't due a meal, would you be looking to use insulin to correct your blood sugar to a lower level? If you are, then add in extra insulin to the meal to do the correction.

Don't forget to take into account the length of time quick acting insulin takes to work. My reaction for Novorapid is 30 minutes without any changes and then nearly 3 hours before it's stopped having an effect. Often, for being higher than I'm happier with, a short walk can drop that blood sugar to where I want it without insulin.

Of course , this is an opinion and others may be happier to run higher. I prefer not to go above 10 at all.

Hope this helps.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is, the post prandial glucose levels recommended I bet are not met by the majority of type 1 diabetics, especially if its a high car or relatively high GI meal. I personally pre-bolus 30-40 minutes before such a lunch and if my glucose levels are below the recommended 9 mmol/L after 2 hours I can almost guarantee a hypo after the novorapid has finished working by 5 hours.
I'd recommend you inject with the correction dose, wait half an hour to get it back in range before eating and then it minimizes the spike.

Very much same! I find i'm good with aiming for only +2mmol postprandial if it's during the daytime, but for dinner postprandial i much prefer to be around 8-10 because lower than that it most guarantees a hypo after 4-5hrs.
Together with this prob i also seem to be more resistant during daytime, so thats one of the things i have to consider when gauging my units.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try looking at it without the meal involvement. If you weren't due a meal, would you be looking to use insulin to correct your blood sugar to a lower level? If you are, then add in extra insulin to the meal to do the correction.

Don't forget to take into account the length of time quick acting insulin takes to work. My reaction for Novorapid is 30 minutes without any changes and then nearly 3 hours before it's stopped having an effect. Often, for being higher than I'm happier with, a short walk can drop that blood sugar to where I want it without insulin.

Of course , this is an opinion and others may be happier to run higher. I prefer not to go above 10 at all.

Hope this helps.
I prefer the same, if only i react to my Apidra as consistently it's a challenge trying to find the perfect units for differing reactions during day and night. I've been on a rollercoaster and i hate it esp because i haven't drastically changed anything. So looking for a good middle ground.