Best place to get a HBA1c Reading (apart from your doctor)

tubamanandy

Can anyone recommend a private company that does HBA1C readings ?

I get an annual one from my doctor but would like to keep track of where I am upto a bit more regularly (ie.6 months).

I've had full blood tests done in the past through my work but as not early retired, I dont get these. Happy to pay private but just need a recommendation in UK.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My go to for private tests is

https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/diabetes-check

You will however need to find somewhere that will take the blood sample for you.

I was charged £24 for that service at a local private hospital (although it did take 2 people 4 attempts to get the sample). Medichecks do send a lancet and container for a sample from finger pricks but I'm afraid I gave up trying to fill it with enough blood as you need a fair bit.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out Thriva.co. I've had various tests done by them and they seem reasonably priced. As @bulkbiker said you will need to find someone to take your blood although they too send a lancet for you to prick your finger and obtain the blood yourself.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I beleive there is a home testing kit called A1cNow but other members could give you more details I'm sure.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If you finger prick and can record average BG levels over a period of time there are a couple of formulae that will calculate with a reasonable degree of accuracy your HbA1c. They each return very slightly different results but are pretty close enough to give a reasonable impression as to how HbA1c is moving.

(Ave+2.25)/1.583
((Ave * 18)+46.7)/28.7

Where ave is in mmol/l

Reactions: SimonCrox

tubamanandy

Thanks everyone - a couple of interesting ideas there - I'm particularly interested in that A1cNow but only real concern is how accurate is it likely to be compared with a normal blood test ?

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out Thriva.co. I've had various tests done by them and they seem reasonably priced. As @bulkbiker said you will need to find someone to take your blood although they too send a lancet for you to prick your finger and obtain the blood yourself.
I too use Thriva. It isn't easy to get the blood but I have perfected it now. They do a subscription service but you you can delay your test or end it at any time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone - a couple of interesting ideas there - I'm particularly interested in that A1cNow but only real concern is how accurate is it likely to be compared with a normal blood test ?
@Rachox didn't you do a parallel test with A1c now or am I having a senior moment?

tubamanandy

Last April a1cnow 37 and a few days later (just over 2 weeks) lab result 41. But on 16th Nov I'm going to get lab one at gp so intend doing a home a1c before I go to the surgery. Last week my home one was 33 so I'm.keeping my fingers crossed.

Let us know how you get on

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have used the A1cNow. It was very easy. They send you a reader and a lancet device, and there are full instructions. It is just a normal finger prick and you can use your own lancet device. You pop the blood drop in, and in 5 minutes the result comes up on the screen.

https://www.bhr.co.uk/home-user-products/a1cnow-2
https://www.ptsdiagnostics.com/a1cnow-plus.html#

Given that I flinch at even the smallest finger prick, is it the same amount of blood as for a standard BG meter?

Just looked at the web site and it seems you get a kit which is good for two tests, then you throw the lot away including the meter.

If so, that makes it around £22 per test.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Tubamanandy (Are you, by the way?) - I have used A1cNow tests for 2 or 3 years now. I don't use them all the time, but they are extremely useful if, like me, you only have annual lab A1cs.

As I usually buy bigger packs, I've done a few parallel tests parallel tests, so it could have been me @bulkbiker was meaning, although @Rachox may have done something similar. For me, they have been very accurate, the max adrift on those parallel tests 0.1%.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tubamanandy (Are you, by the way?) - I have used A1cNow tests for 2 or 3 years now...... although @Rachox may have done something similar....

Not me guv! I keep an eye on my HbA1c by using the MySugr app.

Reactions: Debandez

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given that I flinch at even the smallest finger prick, is it the same amount of blood as for a standard BG meter?

Just looked at the web site and it seems you get a kit which is good for two tests, then you throw the lot away including the meter.

If so, that makes it around £22 per test.

Exactly the same amount of blood as for an ordinary meter test, as long as it fills the small thing you put it in. I never get big blood blobs and I managed it in one go. Yes, you get a kit for 2 tests and then discard the reader. Quite good value for money, and only 5 minutes to wait for the result. There are clear instructions with it, so if you follow them to the letter you can't really go wrong.