carb counting scales / advice!

serankine

hello
Just wondered if anyone can help me? We have just started carb counting for my daughter, and the diabetic nurse told me you can get food weighing scales to help which tells you how many carbs. Just wondered if anyone uses them and which would anyone recommend had a look on the net but wanted to ask advice 1st. If you could help all very confussing :shock: . We have just ordered the carbs and cals book which looks great. but any other advice very welcome. Thank you :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We use the Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale for weighing food and they work great. Our first set broke (some sort of electronic fault) within the first year but we had it replaced with a new set as we bought through Amazon. The platform is large enough to put a small dinner plate on and still see the digital display. They don't have a built in menu providing you with carb content of different foods so you'd need to work this out with pen and paper (and calculator!) but I find it's quick and easy to do. I either read the food label, or for foods that come without a nutritional label I have printed and laminated a card with the carb content of those foods which lives in the kitchen draw and is easy and quick to refer to.

Our DSN recommended the Salter 1440 Nutri-weigh and Go Dietary Computer Scale which we tried out for a few weeks but couldn't get on with it. The weighing platform is smaller and when you place a dinner plate on you cannot access the buttons or read the digital display. I also found searching through the food list to be cumbersome and quicker to just read the food label or refer to my printed list of carb content of our commonly eaten foods. Some food items that you'd expect to be there aren't, like baked beans. But other people highly recommend these scales and get around the weighing platform issue by placing a bowl upside down and then the plate on top to give enough clearance to see the display, or weigh the food on a small plate and then transfer to the dinner plate.

Hazza

When we were given the insulin pump (Accuchek Combo) there was a card in the box for a free set of scales, which we sent for. They have been fantastic and we use them all the time. You simply weigh the food and then convert to carbs using the numbers provided in the book. We have written the ones we use most on a sheet of paper and find it dead easy to use.
The scales are Rosemary Conleys enerGI. We wouldn't be without them now.

Harry

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Like Sophia I can certainly recommend Salter Kitchen Scales!

Nigel

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I bought the Salter nutri scales as I thought it would assist with my carb counting. When I measured cooked pasta on the scales it showed a big difference in carbohydrate value to the book I also use 'carbs and cals' - very confusing as I was trying to be as accurate as possible. I contacted Salter about this difference and there reply was........... 'After further investigation we would like to inform you that there are variations dependant on the tables you use and how the item such as carbohydrates are calculated. It is for this reason that we included a warning on the packaging advising that this product would not really be suitable for diabetics who would need to use it to calculate their insulin intake'.

In was surprised at this to be honest. I now use a small, but accurate, Salter digital scales for weighing and work the carbs by checking the carbs and cal book or the labels on the food.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My scales given free through the combo pump never worked, but I had laready purchased the carb counting scales from Lloyds chemist, and the the design and fucntion of them is superb. They are perfectly flat, and calculate carbs, fat, protein..everything you could think of actually including cholesterol.

They are called nutriscales. They take up such little space compared to the ones free from completing the accuchek pump forms when you actually get a pump, and waiting for delivery of them. I even weigh a garlic clove and lettuce for calculating!!!!!!

serankine

Thank you for all your advice. I have been out and purchased the Lloyds scales just since they were on offer at £13. They are easy to take to families houses. We are looking at going on to the pump in the future. A little scared :roll: about putting my daughter onto the pump think im worrying about making a mistake.
Thanks for all your help. :D

rob160117

It sounds like what you need is a scale with food types. It's really made a big difference in our household since we got ourselves one.

Edited to remove link

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Hi I'm type 1 and the best thing I have for carb counting is an app called carbs and Cals. It shows you several pics of the same food product on a plate and gives you the carbs and Cals for that portion. You can add each to a meal and it adds it all up for you. You can also get the book by the same name but the app has 3x more variations including sauce and things you don't really want to weigh it is so much easier.

Jake2701

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
hello
Just wondered if anyone can help me? We have just started carb counting for my daughter, and the diabetic nurse told me you can get food weighing scales to help which tells you how many carbs. Just wondered if anyone uses them and which would anyone recommend had a look on the net but wanted to ask advice 1st. If you could help all very confussing :shock: . We have just ordered the carbs and cals book which looks great. but any other advice very welcome. Thank you :D
Electronic kitchen scales you can buy in supermarkets (in Australia for about A$12 ).

Edited by a mod to remove links

Last edited by a moderator: