insulin pump

martina

Hello everyone,My 8 year old daughter is due to get her pump next thusrday,I have been reading other posts and was just wondering about the belts and pouches.We are getting the accu-chek combo,does it come with belt etc or are there things I should see about buying before she has it fitted.We are both very apprehensive so any advice will be very helpful.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I use the accu-chek combo, it comes with a soft material belly strap and a material case that you loop the strap through. Its only velcro though so i wouldnt recommend it for an eight year old, when i use it on occasion i have to pull it right round so it fits snug and tight so it will probably be too big for her anyway. The case it comes with might be handy though. If you google and look around there are a few sites who do special belts and pump accessories especially for children. All with cool pretty patterns too which im sure your daughter may love. I would say something you should look into.

Good luck with the pump! :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We bought a tummietote belt from tally gear, and have since bought a couple more so we have three in different colours and designs. My daughter loves them, they're comfortable and hold the pump nice and snug around her tummy so it doesn't bounce around when she's jumping and running as kids like to do. It fastens with velcro which makes it fully adjustable so will last a long time as she grows bigger. As there is more than one pocket it's handy to keep other bits and bobs in too, like some glucose sweets for emergencies. Jess likes to sleep with her tummietote as well. There are other similar belts online too and you could probably make one quite easily if you're handy with a sewing machine.

Jess doesn't wear a dress often but I guess the belt wouldn't be so good with a dress, if you wear it underneath the dress you can't get to the pump. Not sure how others get around wearing a pump with a dress. You can buy those cami/vests with a pump pocket sewn in but Jess didn't like the one I got her, said it was uncomfortable. Fortunately she prefers to wear trousers or skirts which work perfectly with the belt. If your daughter wears the gingham summer school dresses you can buy them as a top and skirt set rather than a dress which makes it good for wearing a pump belt and easy access to the pump. Tesco do them but didn't have her size so I bought online from Debenhams.

Hazza

Lily wears a pouch with a velcro strap and we have a couple of these. She also weres dresses and we have never had a problem with that. We don't need to keep looking at the pump as she can bolus straight from the meter.
The only time we check the pump is if there is a problem, which doesn't happen very often, in fact I can't remember when we last had a problem. We do check the line of course but not every time we give a bolus.

Harry

josie38

Hi,

There is an american company called Pump Inc and they do lots of stuff for kids in lots of designs and colours. I went on there and got myself a belt bag which you attach to loopholes on your jeans and some pyjama bottoms with pockets on the inside for the pump. I was very impressed with the range for kids too and when you look at the pump holders they aim to make a child unselfconscious about their diabetes.

josie38

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
theres a lovely lady who makes pump belts for kids in this country we have bought a couple and dylan wears those the most have a look at the website put in a search for funky pumpers, well worth a look and no high delivery costs as its based in the uk :D she also has a facebook page if ur on there

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hazza said:
Lily wears a pouch with a velcro strap and we have a couple of these. She also weres dresses and we have never had a problem with that. We don't need to keep looking at the pump as she can bolus straight from the meter.
The only time we check the pump is if there is a problem, which doesn't happen very often, in fact I can't remember when we last had a problem. We do check the line of course but not every time we give a bolus.

Harry

Of course, I forgot about the Accu-chek having a remote. With the Animas we have to get access to the pump to deliver insulin.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does the Veo come with any belts, cases etc? Still not heard about funding for my pump so not ordering yet, but I assumed only a belt clip was included. Just thought I'd have to wait til I start pumping and order then. Meanwhile each time I get dressed I think about where I'd put my pump with that outfit.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
our veo only came with a clip sue but the nurse did give us a soft case, we dont use either tho dylan likes the belts

anna marie

martina

Hello everyone,we have now got the insulin pump and i was wondering how long it might sting for as it seems to be uncomfortable.I would also like any advice on high bloodsugars and at what level I need to give a correction.My nurse said 10 or above,however the monitor is programmed to alarm if sugar is above 16.5.I usually think about a correction if her level is above 16.Do I now have to give a correction when above 10 or have i missunderstood what she was saying.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
dylan doesnt complain about his once its in but we do use numbing cream to get it in or ice to numb the area failing that altho having said that he complains about it more in his stomach than anywhere else so tends to prefer the top of his bum lower back area maybe worth trying another site.

we tend to do corrections when ever dylan is above target and the pump is set to a target of between 5 and 6 so if we test before a meal and hes above that the pump automatically factors in a correction, if i tested when its not a meal time and hes near 10 or above i would correct u can get tighter control with a pump. i like u used to wait on MDI till he was alot higher as he used to swing so much.

hope everything is going well

anna marie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
TBH, if the set is hurting there are 2 possible causes-
1) It is genuinely hurting, and it is in a difficult place, and best be moved. or
2) It could be a possible set problem.

Have to add to this that it is also day 1 on the pump, so your son may be more aware of it.

If he is only aware of it when being reminded, or when bolusing, I would be temoted to leave for another couple of hours.

If it is hurting all the time, I would change it, sets when they are in the right placve, should be undetectable, and totally pain free.

However, you are talking about a child, and I am speaking from my experiences as an adult.

Also, I would never let settings be at 16. The combo machine is set up to think a lot better than us humans....it takes in to account bolus on board, active time, basals, bolus etc, correction factors etc. Me personally, I would lower that value down to 10 or 12, as this is only your first day, it is really impressive that you have looked at this!"!"!!!!!!!

You willl love the remote on the combo, but there are a lot of things that efffect levels initially.....and on a long term basis too....if you have realised the settings like this already, I am impressed.

Well done, on getting a combo. From an adult view I love it, because it is so discreet. When latched up to my arm, I never think about it, and do everything by remote......it is so discreet and user friendly.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few times we have had a set which Jess says hurst on putting it in and continues to feel uncomfortable. When this has happened we have removed the set straight away and done another one. Probably that it's in a bad spot and needs positioning somewhere else.

As for corrections, our target is 6.5 mmol/l with a allowance of 2 mmol/l either way so a correction would be given for anything out of target range and provided there is no insulin on board (IOB) still.

Also our pump is set up to alarm us for any reading over 14mmol/l to check for ketones.