Why Do Some People Not Care?

jopar

Sorry I haven’t replied before, been very busy so not much time for internet activities.

As to my diet, just a standard diet most I cook from scratch but it can include junk food, such as fish and chips, the odd Chinese, Indian and maccyD but the latter is a very rare event I must admit.. I’m not a great fruit eater unless it’s in a yogurt, pie or crumble..

I do enjoy chocolate again this tends to be either as a mousse, ice-cream or a wafer rather than a chocolate bar and more related to what activity I’m doing, such as a kitkat before agility training with the dogs, or a stint of gardening…

I do eat pudding, apple crumbles and cakes, if I do then it’s generally as a meal on its, two reasons for this I’m not a big eater and I wasn’t brought up accustomed to having a desert after a main meal, unless it was a special occasion such as Easter or Christmas day… I don’t do a lot of eating out as I find that portions being served are way too big for me and I end up feeling guilty leaving half a plate or more of food.. Hence why I love any do that has a buffet rather than a sit down meal…

In the main I haven’t really changed my diet to pre-diabetic days, did have to stop sugar in my coffee (never had it in tea) and of cause if I ever drink fizzy it’s diet version nowadays. And of cause from the very beginning learning to count carbs in my foods, but otherwise no real changes…
But I think that eating habits before being diagnosed has for me been helpful, as I ate healthy, cooked most foods from scratch etc..

I’ve pretty lucky as I not a big eater so my portions do tend to be on small size to what a lot of people consider the norm. But I’ve always been like this perhaps that’s the secret of my success a natural disposition of eating to my needs and not overload my body with quantities with food that it doesn’t need!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I know nothing of T1 really but, reading what Jopar says, perhaps that is the difference between T1 and T2 that a T1 can cover it with insulin and a T2 on tablets or diet and exercise cannot.

I have a friend, who is T2 of long standing, who is very overweight and eats "just a little" of anything she fancies whenever she fancies and has an Hba1c of between 8 and 9 with which her doctor is "very happy". She looks pityingly at me over the rim of her cup as she munches her chocolate biscuits - which she must have with her morning coffee or else she has no energy! I no longer speak about her diet as she thinks she is doing the best thing for her. She tells me I should eat more as she thinks that I am too thin and that I am just a masochist who doesn't eat choccy bickies!! :roll:

I guess that if you have had the facts explained to you then you pays your money and takes your choice!

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Synonym said:
I know nothing of T1 really but, reading what Jopar says, perhaps that is the difference between T1 and T2 that a T1 can cover it with insulin and a T2 on tablets or diet and exercise cannot.

I have a friend, who is T2 of long standing, who is very overweight and eats "just a little" of anything she fancies whenever she fancies and has an Hba1c of between 8 and 9 with which her doctor is "very happy". She looks pityingly at me over the rim of her cup as she munches her chocolate biscuits - which she must have with her morning coffee or else she has no energy! I no longer speak about her diet as she thinks she is doing the best thing for her. She tells me I should eat more as she thinks that I am too thin and that I am just a masochist who doesn't eat choccy bickies!! :roll:

I guess that if you have had the facts explained to you then you pays your money and takes your choice!

The definition of "just a little" differs from one person to another, just like the "size" of a portion. 2 choc biscuits are more than "just a little" for me but I have no problem with a whole bar of snickers and that in the evening sitting in front of the TV. Maybe the nuts in it make it "Low GI" :?: :?:

paula1974

To answer the OPs question - I DONT CARE - at the moment.
I have so much else going on at the moment physically, mentally and emotionally that diabetes just doesnt come into it. Ok I still take my insulin (not enough) and met but then tend to have big blow outs - takeaway pizza being the last one.
My last hbA1c was 6.9. Im due for another soon and yes, it will be a lot higher. But everything else in my life is so f***ed up at the mo.
As Cuglia once said to me "diabetes has to take a back seat sometimes"

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
paula1974 said:
To answer the OPs question - I DONT CARE - at the moment.
I have so much else going on at the moment physically, mentally and emotionally that diabetes just doesnt come into it. Ok I still take my insulin (not enough) and met but then tend to have big blow outs - takeaway pizza being the last one.
My last hbA1c was 6.9. Im due for another soon and yes, it will be a lot higher. But everything else in my life is so f***ed up at the mo.

That's how it gets you...then you end up with complications. Problem is, you can forget about your diabetes but it will never forget about you.

anniep

Sometimes it is just sheer ignorance of how our bodies work and cause and effect, particularly if you are told to rely solely on a six monthly Hba1c.

I have just been at a function that provides a full breakfast, I know that one of my colleagues, is a fellow T2 and from what has been said in the past has an Hba1c that is considered too high.

I admit that I indulged and treated myself and I had eggs, mushrooms, beans and 2 hash browns (why isn't there a licking your lips smiley?). My colleague started with 2 wheetabix as 'they healthier coz they are sugar free,' covered in honey 'because it is better for you than sugar'. He went onto the full English with the same as I had but, with 4 has browns, plus sausages, and fried bread. He then finished it off with 2 rounds of toast and lashings of marmalade.

It was basically a breakfast full of carbs, but as far as he knew the only 'bad' part of what he was eating was the marmalade, because it was the only sugar in the meal.

His diabetic education has been of the avoid ‘sugar’ variety , and eat carbs with every meal – and I know he tries, because at meetings that provide biscuits, he avoids them because he knows they are bad for him, and he doesn’t eat sweets and chocolate. He just has no notion that basically carbohydrate is the same as sugar and that bread/baked beans/hash browns/breakfast cereals/sausages/honey contains things that break down to sugar in the body.

He thinks I am a bit of an oddball and fanatic because I won’t eat too much of these, because it is not what has been told by his HCP's.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Yeah, but at least he does care and is thinking about it (btw, Weetabix have added sugar).

anniep

Yes that's what I was trying to say - when we see all these apparant bad choices it's often not that people don't care but that they have had inadequate advice.

My own brother in law who I quoted upthread, who says that he eats what he wants and just takes the tablets, has not had things explained to him in a way that gets through to him. He was originally told by the hosptial that as long as he kept under double figure he was fine. After the inital period, he has not been encouraged to test and has a check up every 6 months and forgets about diabetes inbetween. He seems to really think that the tablets are doing the job for him and he doesn't have to bother.

I am also surprised by the number of people who have not had have a basic nutritional education and do not know what a carb is.

josie38

I think for some people it could be a case of being perceived as being "different". I know some will attack me for saying it but not everyone is comfortable telling others about having diabetes. I was recently at a party and my host (who i have known for a couple of years) asked if i wanted a drink and i asked if she had got anything diet and was very shocked when i told her i was a diabetic. But to be fair to her she went out and got me something diet.

Some do have the view that they dont have to explain if they eat the same as others. Whilst fellow diabetics, who do know, silenty criticise what the other is eating.

It may be they do have the adequate advice but choose to ignore it, as we all can, so can seem that they don't care. Not everyone is comfortable when eating out to sit and count the carbs for everything they eat. But we all make choices of what we do with the information provided by the HCP's :!: :!: :!:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
People usually sat there drinking Hot Chocolate and and eating cakes n' biscuits (off the hospital trolley
Just watched a colleague who was diagnosed T2 have more than one
paula1974 wrote:To answer the OPs question - I DONT CARE - at the moment.

That's how it gets you...then you end up with complications. Problem is, you can forget about your diabetes but it will never forget about you.
Reminds me of the play ground ,"Please Miss shes eating sweets "

Some do have more important things than diabetes to deal with :?:
With bigger foes to Fight :twisted:

Diabetes will never forget about you" ,,,True ,, Only if you are able to hang around that long :?

paula1974 You hang in there

Bob

paula1974

Thanks Bob.

Im getting there. Im TRYING to care. Im usually so good with my control but my physical probs and mental health probs have reared their ugly heads big time.
I have an appt with my endo next week and intend to be honest (which a lot of people aren't) with everything. I know my hbA1c will be higher. But Im trying. Thats the best I can do for now. Im not like some people who never give a s**t.

Paula

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
paula1974 said:
Im TRYING to care.
Please let me know if you find out how to, I'd love to be able to care about my diabetes but really can't bring myself to care atm!

The problem is, no matter what I do it won't go away, so why bother? I don't want to go through the rest of my life having to stick needles into myself 4 times a day and wreck my fingertips by repeatedly stabbing them, and taking tablets twice a day too. I don't know when I last tested my blood sugar, what's the point?

I don't know what is symptoms of high blood sugar, what is side effects of the tablets, and what is my real feelings.

At least my CT and MRI came back clear so I don't have brain cancer, I should be pleased but I'm not - it means whatever is wrong is incurable, so there are two things that will never go away now. What next?

So OP, yes some people do not care!

josie38

Reminds me of the play ground ,"Please Miss shes eating sweets "

Well said bob :D :D :D

paula1974......hope everything gets better soon 8) 8)

HLW.......thinking about you hun and hoping everything turns out right :) :) :) :)

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well at least I'm enjoying my new job and new home! It's just I get reminded every time I have to take the tablets or do the injections, it's constant.

The local tesco has started stocking more 'Tesco Finest' stuff, so that means more exciting healthier things, so hopefully that will make things easier re: eating better.

I have not consciously changed my eating habits since starting insulin (a year ago maybe?), I'm sure I have doubled in weight since then, I have put a massive amount on since starting the tablets for epilepsy too, it's so annoying, I am pretty sure I am not eating much differently to before.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Patch said:
I'm sure I have doubled in weight

Crikey.

I personally don't think this is an appropriate comment towards anyone. Especially as we are debating this very topic in a different discussion where you are accusing me of saying some people with diabetes deserve a bad name.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
****, caught out.

The first place i always look for interesting post's is through your profile solely to posts you have either started or participated in :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know you're not the only one! I'm pretty sure some others do to! :wink: