My weight loss and Endo visit.

C

catherinecherub

Have been to an Endocrinologist today re: findings of blood and urine tests to explain my weight loss. Have been eating a well balanced diet since diagnosis in 2003 and weight has recently started to fall. I couldn't understand why.

Saw an excellent man who explained that I have subacute thyroiditis. Some of the symptoms were not apparent because I already take beta blockers for high BP and these are usually part of the treatment for high heart rate, shaking and palpitations that occurs with this condition.
I am going to be treated with medication and things should improve within weeks, maybe months. The only downside is that this could reoccur from time to time or I may end up with hypothyroidism at a later date. He did say that many patients are completely cured after the initial treatment.

This all comes as a great relief to me as originally I was told that it could be Cancer, the 2nd time I have had this scare. I am feeling quite positive after today's consultation and am glad that I now have an answer for the critics who have suggested I am anorexic. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to test my blood sugars on a regular basis while the treatment is ongoing as these may become higher or even lower depending on how I react. He could not explain why some people's levels go up or some down but reminded me that Type 2 diabetics have an individual response to meds and food.

I was able to have a good chat with this Consultant and he did say that more and more professionals are considering the possibility that Type 2 is an autoimmune disease and he is seeing a larger number of Type 2's with other autoimmune disorders including Fybromyalgia, Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis etc..... http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/unders ... mmune.html and that did not used to be the case and was more confined to Type 1's. He also said that modern living and enviroment and not just food issues is an area of research that needs funding to help understand the enormity of the amount of Type 2's being diagnosed and more factors that might be involved.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Oh dear, poor you, you must have been feeling awful. Hope they get it sorted out for you and you start to feel much better. We are indeed “fearfully and wonderfully made” so it is no wonder that when things go wrong it takes a lot of detective work to work it all out. So glad to hear that fears about cancer have proved groundless – what a relief for you! :D

It is also good to hear that the reasons for T2 diabetes are being looked at more thoroughly too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Catherine,

Hopefully over the next few weeks you will start to feel better once the meds kick-in, the fact it isn't cancer having been told it was a possibility must come as a great relief and I am well pleased for you! :D

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Catherine.

I am so glad that you have found out what the problem was, and that it wasn't what was thought previously. As NIgel says, once the meds kick in I am sure you will be back to your old self again. :D
OK, maybe not so old......... :lol:

As for the deranged idiot who suggested you were anorexic.......you know that individual is a sad 'basket case'...best to ignore those who have little brains.....but big mouths ! :twisted: :wink:

Regards
Ken

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I am so glad your cancer scare is over and now that you can take medication for your condition you will soon start to feel better and put on some weight :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Dont know how I missed this post before, but so glad you got the 'not cancer' news and I really hope your treatment goes well and you dont have any further problems with it :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How are you feeling now Catherine?

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

Hi Nigel and others,
Thanks for your concern.

Have put on 2 whole pounds since the visit, only a stone to go to get to a comfortable weight again. No side effects of medication as yet and feeling a lot better already.
I never ever wanted to be a size zero. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Two pounds in 3 weeks is good, just remember to stop at a stone! :)

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I missed this post as well , I'm so sorry you had that worry Catherine,.
It's good that you are on the 'up'.

Tracey69

Hi
I am a T1 diabetic insulin dependant I sstarting losing weight, hot sweats, they found i had an overactive thyroid. I was put onto Carbimazole for a while ( can't remember exactly how long). Once that levelled i was taken off it, then in 2006/7 they found i had an underactive thyroid ( weight gain ) so i was put onto Levothyroxine which worked well until recently. I started to feel really unwell but have a lot of medical problems, but i started to loose alot of weight and at first we couldn't work out why, I had palpatations, hot sweats, the doctors tested my blood levels for thyroid and my levels had got to high and it retuned to being an underactive thyroid, they took me off Levothyroxine altogether, which then made my levels to low and i am now back on a low dose of the levothyroxine. They also found another drug was causing a further problem but i am now on the road to recovery after 4 months. First time my HBA1C 7.2 the lowest it's ever been.
Hope all goes well for you.
Take care Tracey69

C

catherinecherub

Thanks to all the well wishers.
Another 2lbs on, only 12 to go. getting there slowly but I feel back to my old self so must be doing something right. Thyroid complaints seem to be difficult to diagnose and cause ongoing problems. Someone suggested iodine supplements but reading up about them and their side effects I think I will give them a miss. I am sure they would have been suggested by the Endocrinologist if they were necessary and I am not going to try and treat myself.