Is it possible to reverse diabetes?

annazoe32

So I have a question. I am not actually classed as ‘diabetic’. Last hba1c was 40. I recently had gestational diabetes. I have been testing levels and I would say I’m pretty borderline. I definitely can not tolerate a lot of carbs very well and therefore adopting a LCHF diet to lose weight and hopefully reduce insulin resistance etc.

I’m pretty sure if I had an actual GTT I would be classed as diabetic though - but this remains to be seen as I haven’t had one and still categorised in a normal zone.

Anyway my question is - I totally understand and get that if I had a real diagnosis of diabetes and say for example a score of 48 I could potentially lower that score to a non diabetic level through diet alone if I adopted low carb or ketone diet eat . But my real question is - would the insulin resistance still be there. I have about 5 stone to lose so if I lost all this weight is it likely I would no longer be resistant to the insulin my body produces. I know obesity would be a cause in my case but I suppose I want to know would I be able to improve my resistance and tolerance to carbs so on a rare Ocassion I wanted to stuff my face with chocolate would I be able to do so and get a normal rise in blood sugars. I know no one can tell me for sure in my situation however I just want to know in a hypothetical way is diabetes in remission/ controlled or cured/ reversed?

Thanks so much

Anna

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In theory and in time it is possible. Looks good on paper but stuffing yourself with chocs and then getting a non Diabetic response wrt blood glucose does not tell the whole story. It is about insulin and insulin resistance and this is just so unpredictable.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
You can't reverse type 2 diabetes if thats what you ask. Through diet and excercise you can get rid of the symptoms and discomfort associated with type 2 diabetes, but the insulin resistance would still be there. Meaning all the problems associated with being a type 2 like high blood sugar will come right back if you loose up on your diet or excercise.

annazoe32

Thank you I was just joking about stuffing my face with chocolate (in my dreams haha) but I just wanted to know if once you have a problem with carbs etc is that a problem for life? I understand if I lost 5 stone and then stuffed my face with chocolate I would put weight back on anyway but just intrigued if I was healthy and slim etc etc

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
In theory and in time it is possible. Looks good on paper but stuffing yourself with chocs and then getting a non Diabetic response wrt blood glucose does not tell the whole story. It is about insulin and insulin resistance and this is just so unpredictable.

In theory you can keep type 2 diabetes at bay without medication, but there is no way to fix or restore insulin resistance. There is a difference between getting cured, or being able to quit medication because of lifelong lifestyle changes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In theory you can keep type 2 diabetes at bay without medication, but there is no way to fix or restore insulin resistance. There is a difference between getting cured, or being able to quit medication because of lifelong lifestyle changes.

There are people who report a small but significant improvement in insulin sensitivity after a period of time on a lower carb regime but you are right, there is no return to full non Diabetic responses on a normal western diet as this would constitute cure and up to date there is no cure.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I consider my type 2 diabetes reversed. When I do occasionally have some carbs I get a fairly normal blood glucose response. However, I'm quite sure if I went back to a diet with lots of carbs and too much sugar my type 2 would eventually become unreversed.

But I also believe that the standard high carb, high sugar western diet is not healthy for anyone - even people on it who have normal blood glucose levels - so I wouldn't go back to it even if my blood glucose stayed normal on it.

annazoe32

Ok that’s interesting thank you.

In my situation because I haven’t actually got diabetes yet score of 40 would it be possible in my case if I lost weight?

Thanks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ok that’s interesting thank you.

In my situation because I haven’t actually got diabetes yet score of 40 would it be possible in my case if I lost weight?

Thanks
Would what be possible?

annazoe32

Sorry I wasn’t being very clear what I meant to say was is this the same for someone with Prediabetes? As in could insulin resistance return to normal?

I agree I can’t imagine going back to a high sugar/ carb diet either!

Thanks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sorry I wasn’t being very clear what I meant to say was is this the same for someone with Prediabetes? As in could insulin resistance return to normal?

Thanks
Maybe. It's worth a try. However, keep in mind that many people on a LCHF diet experience physiological insulin resistance, which means they get a blood glucose response that looks like they have diabetes, but it's just temporary until they have carbs for a few days. This is why someone taking an OGTT who is on a LCHF diet needs to eat carbs for a few days before the test. I'm fortunate in that a LCHF diet doesn't give me physiological insulin resistance.

One thing to keep in mind is that HbA1c is not an exact measurement of average blood glucose levels. It's much more illustrative with respect to determining if you're insulin resistant to see what your blood glucose levels are after eating some carbs.

Reactions: Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Mine seems to be getting there..
I recently had an insulin resistance test that came back as very slightly elevated. The medic looking at it said that looking at my other markers for diabetes there was nothing to worry about. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with an HbA1c of 87 mmol/m

Reactions: sally and james

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had non-diabetic hba1c readings for 2 years after losing 55kg and completely changing my diet, but I in no way consider my diabetes reversed (just kept at bay with careful control of what I eat and lots of exercise): If I have a few too many carbs my blood shoots into the teens and I feel lousy (even a single slice of pizza is enough to do that)