Type 2 Can type 2 diabetes cause heart ache?

richard5678

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
xyz
Hi. Last couple of weeks my heart has been aching. Tends to be observable when I'm in bed. Also, whilst in bed, of late, I'm waking up every so often during the night, with a very fast heart beat, which quickly returns to normal. I can get on my exercise bike and do a long stretch and I don't get exhausted and my portable blood pressure device shows "optimal". So, it looks like my heart is good. But, this aching worries me a bit. Although my GP did not seem concerned about it. He game me a tablet for cholerstoral (I'm already taking Metformin and Stigalpin). I wonder if this aching could be diabetes related. I think my blood sugar level is quite high quite a lot of the time (still too many sweet things in my diet).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do you mean chest pain?

richard5678

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
xyz
No, it's more like a dull ache. An annoyance in bed, it does not aid sleeping, takes me longer to drop off. I've just started taking my Metformin and Stigalpin more regularly, I've not always been taking my medication until of late. Also, just started exercising on my exercise bike. Problem seems to be getting better. Maybe it will dissappear soon. I'm hoping it will. GP thought it might be stress related. But, I've been less stressed of late. These heart palpitations (fast rate) just came out of the blue. Never had them before.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Stress would be my first opinion ... which we all don't need

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get them sometimes, been known to wake me up from sleep.....
arrhythmia
Often miss beats, which is not great.
Not sure it is related to my DB, which is "under control".
Best to get it checked out.... give the GP a push for more.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be stress and too much adrenalin, but it could be uneven heart rhythm. Rather than a 24 hour blood pressure test, you could ask for a 24 hour ECG. I speak from experience - I have "missed beats", which cause intermittent palpitations although not very strong ones. These have been diagnosed as ventricular ectopic beats (they aren't missed beats, they are a normal number of beats that get out of sync. ) and they are normally benign, but need checking out to see what may be causing them. The usual culprits are caffeine, tobacco and alcohol.

Reactions: Barbara93

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, another cause for irregular heartbeat can be electrolyte imbalance, I would suggest you get tested for magnesium and potassium levels.Hope this helps.

richard5678

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
xyz
Actually I do not seem to have an irregular beat, just waking up at times with a very fast beat. Which quickly returms to normal. Unless unkown to me the fast heart beat is initiated by an irregular beat. Hopefully it will go as quick as it surfaced. Same with the aching heart. I don't drink, smoke. or have cofee. Sometimes have these "energy drinks".

Last edited: