Type 2 Sharps Box Disposal

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m curious how members dispose of sharp boxes used at home?

I have had to register with the company that dispose of the local hospital sharp boxes. Arrange a collection, and a new delivery of a another box. The company are collecting the boxes on Monday for the first time.

My mother on the other hand, is able to take her sharp boxes to her surgery and they dispose of them.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have to fill in an online form requesting collection - which may be declined - then wait about three weeks until someone calls me and says when they will collect.

Reactions: Libby3781
D

Deleted Account

I get new boxes from pump supplies company.
I get rid of old one by phoning council, giving them at least a week’s notice then put it out in the street the night before they collect it.
I complained about putting a round box of sharps out on a windy exposed street overnight but was told it was no longer my responsibility once I’d put it on the public pavement. I was not happy with this response but not sure what else to do. So I just keep collections to a minimum by dissecting my pump supplies and only putting the sharp stuff in the sharps box whilst recycling anything plastic. Doesn’t stop the problem but makes it less common.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my sharps box is on the doorstep ready for collection.

So I hope in the morning there will be no problem with it’s collection, and a new one being left.

My house is the last house on the drive, so I’ve had to leave them in a way they will be seen.

Therefore, I hope what I’ve done will be ok!

Attachments

• 581F5D90-BCB6-4B19-BF19-7872A2D407AA.jpeg
    581F5D90-BCB6-4B19-BF19-7872A2D407AA.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 523

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is pleased to report the sharps collection went smoothly.

I was a little apprehensive as to whether they would take my sharp boxes, as I originally purchased them myself.
Prior to being put on insulin full time.

I purchased one for the house, and travel ones. Those were both taken away today.

The company has left me a 7 litre sharps box now.

In the house I am using a sharp box that was on prescription, and a travel one when I’m out & about.

Attachments

• 3FF94685-45B2-470B-B7FC-79BDA9C103D2.jpeg
    3FF94685-45B2-470B-B7FC-79BDA9C103D2.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 555
  • 43E29F8E-6EA8-41CB-9FB0-B643C9251C06.jpeg
    43E29F8E-6EA8-41CB-9FB0-B643C9251C06.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 598
Reactions: TifferG

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I ring a certain number at Queens Building where the council is housed and they pick my full sharps box up from the doorstep
and lave me an empty one

Reactions: Libby3781

Kelp2112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m curious how members dispose of sharp boxes used at home?

I have had to register with the company that dispose of the local hospital sharp boxes. Arrange a collection, and a new delivery of a another box. The company are collecting the boxes on Monday for the first time.

My mother on the other hand, is able to take her sharp boxes to her surgery and they dispose of them.
We have a collection /replacement service where I live.. it's excellent...

DomPirate

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Supplied on prescription, so collected from Boots, but they no longer accept full ones back.
Take mine back to the surgery when I have an appointment.

TifferG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My local council have a contract service, I just have to phone and arrange a pickup, usually on a Wednesday, so leave the box outside my front door overnight. Even though my block of flats has controlled entry, there are young children living nearby, so I put it out after 11pm.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I phone my local council who arrange collection and drop of a new box

Reactions: TifferG

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anybody recommend a company that will pick up a sharps box from me? My hospital, GP surgery, local pharmacies and council all refuse to take sharps, so I’m a bit stuck about what to do with them.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.srcl.com/

This is the company that collect my sharps boxes. If I were you, I’d email them to confirm they can collect them. Ask in your surgery or hospital if they have a referral form you can fill in.

As far as I’m aware this is a nationwide company within the UK.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.srcl.com/

This is the company that collect my sharps boxes. If I were you, I’d email them to confirm they can collect them. Ask in your surgery or hospital if they have a referral form you can fill in.

As far as I’m aware this is a nationwide company within the UK.

Thanks Libby, I think I actually left a voicemail with this company today, haven’t heard back yet. Could I ask how much they charge you to take your sharps box and how often do you get it removed?