Huge Contradictions about low carb from other Diabetes site ... help!

MoroFenrir

So my partner was diagnosed type 2 yesterday ...and we are floundering a bit

We've spent all day on here trying to sort out the Keto / low carb diet, cutting carbs and sugars and planning what we can eat from now on.

We've been planning on cutting out carbs by getting rid of cereals, breads, pasta, rice etc and going for alternatives like keto bread, shirataki noodles and making sure to go for full fat options instead.

Only to stumble across diabetes.org which is telling you to eat cereal for breakfast ,low fat yoghurt and brown bread. Not to mention some of the recipes on there have 80g of carbs....

It seems to go against everything I've read for the last 24 hours, but seems to be a legitimate site.

Now I'm torn , and don't know what to do....help?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I wouldn't dissagree having a diagnosis dropped in one's lap can be bewildering during the immediacy ensuing a diagnosis..

In short, your partner needs to invest in a blood glucose meter to gauge how the recomended diet is affecting metabolism day to day..

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Diabetes.org is a legitimate site and it is a large contributor to Diabetes research but when it comes to carbs they follow the NHS/PHE/NICE guidelines which many of us feel are extremely outdated. There is a growing group within .org that are low carb and .org are not averse to LCHF but are geared more towards the NHS pathway. D.Org was the first site I came across after being diagnosed but I did not sign up specifically because it did not make sense to me to eat carbs at such levels when I had just been diagnosed with a condition of dysfunctional carb metabolism.
I kept going back to the site to try to understand their stance but one time I accidentally typed UK instead of .org and arrived at this site. That was a lucky mishap in my opinion.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have limited experience as only 2 months in since my diagnosis, but through testing before/after meals I’ve found the advise on here to be spot on. I’m not going as low as Keto, but stick to under 70g carb a day and my BG have been fab. I’ve tried experimenting with odd meals - adding a small handful of pasta, 1 piece of garlic bread, baked beans with breakfast. And all have resulted in me having higher readings than I’m comfortable with. We are all different and I do think there is some importance in seeing for yourself. Having the numbers on your meter in front of you does have a more definitive impact on you than reading page after page after advice, even though the end result is that the wonderful people on here who have lived through all these trials and errors already, really do know best! - but I know with confidence, in just a few short weeks a wide range of foods I can enjoy and not worry about, and am still finding those foods I need to avoid. It’s all a learning curve, but I’m glad I went with the advise on here

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my partner was diagnosed type 2 yesterday ...and we are floundering a bit

We've spent all day on here trying to sort out the Keto / low carb diet, cutting carbs and sugars and planning what we can eat from now on.

We've been planning on cutting out carbs by getting rid of cereals, breads, pasta, rice etc and going for alternatives like keto bread, shirataki noodles and making sure to go for full fat options instead.

Only to stumble across diabetes.org which is telling you to eat cereal for breakfast ,low fat yoghurt and brown bread. Not to mention some of the recipes on there have 80g of carbs....

It seems to go against everything I've read for the last 24 hours, but seems to be a legitimate site.

Now I'm torn , and don't know what to do....help?
Do they have a success stories area on their forum?.. if so I would imagine it is far less full than the success stories thread here..
Results talk..

Reactions: SaskiaKC and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes.org follow the same guidelines as the NHS, which is something call the Eatwell plate, possibly ok for Jo public but even that’s debatable. It makes no sense to me to eat carbohydrates which break down to sugar which my body can’t process. The NHS is very slowly catching up, there are a few individual members of staff who support low carb. My GP didn’t recommend it but as he has seen the good results I’ve had with it he supports my choice.

Reactions: T2#Me and kitedoc

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diabetes.org is a legitimate site and it is a large contributor to Diabetes research but when it comes to carbs they follow the NHS/PHE/NICE guidelines which many of us feel are extremely outdated. There is a growing group within .org that are low carb and .org are not averse to LCHF but are geared more towards the NHS pathway. D.Org was the first site I came across after being diagnosed but I did not sign up specifically because it did not make sense to me to eat carbs at such levels when I had just been diagnosed with a condition of dysfunctional carb metabolism.
I kept going back to the site to try to understand their stance but one time I accidentally typed UK instead of .org and arrived at this site. That was a lucky mishap in my opinion.
Me and you the same :happy:.
When I was diagnosed, I went looking online for any information I could find. I found a site which looking back, I now know more than likely would have been the 'dot Org' site.
The next time I tried to go back to the site, I must have typed .co.uk and landed here.
Not only that, I ended up reading a thread discussing Dr Richard Bernstein's protocol.
I was so impressed with what they had to say about his knowledge regarding the condition, I went out and bought his book, and I believe, going low carb is why my condition steadily improved to where I am today.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I will politely say the other site are as right about diet as the earth is flat.

The best thing about managing this condition is that all the proof you need is there in historical context and you can see yourself. As @bulbiker said if you read the success stories on this site, you will see around 95% of these are low carb / Keto based.

In addition you have the best computer in the world, your brain; is this telling you that eating items that are high carbs are good for someone who cannot tolerate them (cereals are circa 70 - 80%).

After almost 4 years of doing the opposite of what the other site say to do my numbers are in remission (fasting never higher than 4.7 (on diagnosis 20 +), post meal at 2 hours never more than 5.7).

There's worldwide politics why high carb is pushed.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's worldwide politics why high carb is pushed.
That's true, but how a diabetes charity can get away with pushing carbs I just don't know. It disgusts me that their advice is harming the very people they are supposed to help.

Reactions: brush

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have to believe anyone, you can just buy a meter end test before and two hours after eating to see what different foods do to your blood sugar. It'll give you solid proof of what is sensible and not sensible to eat.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am lucky that I when I had gestational diabetes 12 years ago I was in the US and was taught by a nutritionist to carb count and more importantly, use a glucose meter and told the guidelines of numbers to stay within.

Because I would have listened to whatever a health professional told me. I’m just grateful she got to me first

So when I met my NHS diabetic nurse 8 years later and she said ‘eat healthily’ to stop numbers rising, I already knew what to do and it wasn’t the brown bread, brown rice, ‘good’ cereal Eatwell plate she was thinking she was telling me. There’ve been times I’ve willfully ignored what I should have been doing but I have at least known there’s direct consequences.

A meter will tell you what works and what doesn’t work in raising or not raising blood sugars.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just thank the gods that I found this site before I discovered the .org one. I might have been in a very different place.

You and your partner are doing great. You are doing the research and asking the right questions.

I was diagnosed with an HbA1c number of 122 and within 5 months got it down to 35. I credit that success entirely down to the advice and support of this forum.

I crashed the carbs immediately, trying to limit them to 20g per day. Yes I fell off the wagon several times, but I got there in the end.

Once you get over carb addiction, it is a revelation. Rarely do I feel the need to snack
I am rarely hungry.

I bought hundreds of pounds worth of designer clothes in smaller sizes, courtesy of eBay, for a song!

I am sure you and your partner will get there, sooner rather than later.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I stick to low carb and just as a totally random test I got out my meter - 6.1mmol/l
The previous 2 were 5.9.
I hate to think what they would be on a 'normal' diet - though I know that if I eat something with a modest amount of carbs I will not get a huge increase in BG levels as I have recovered to some extent, but it is a very rare event - and I make sure it is not eaten out of necessity. Proper meals are always catered for.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You don't have to believe anyone, you can just buy a meter end test before and two hours after eating to see what different foods do to your blood sugar. It'll give you solid proof of what is sensible and not sensible to eat.
Excellent point