Metformin - Type One Diabetes

Gavinr01

Hi,

Does anyone on here use metformin aswell as insulin for their Type 1 diabetes?

I was diagnosed in January this year and started out using Levemir 10 units morning and night and Novorapid each meal time - I got things under control really quickly and my HBa1C last month was 7.1 which the nurse said was great after such a short time

However.......

I have an okay diet and I was just gaining weight like a pound or two a week, I am a 27 year old guy and I dont want to think I am going to balloon just because I have diabetes I now weigh 13st 11 which is the heaviest I have been in my life, I do regular exercise (run aprox 12 miles per week and a gym session)

So.......

As I was clearly worried I contacted the nurse who told me that I am eating too much which i dont believe I am, and to be honest she was really unhelpful in the end she just said "get your doctor to perscribe some metformin) so for the last week I have been taking them with my insulin.....

Anyone else have any info on metformin and insulin? Does it work? what are the effects?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm on insulin and take long acting metformin. I'm not really sure why I have these apart from trying to control my bg levels.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:lol: Hi
I have been T1 for 47 years and am on insulin and metformin. I was put on metformin to help with my
blood sugar levels as they tend to bounce about a bit. I was also told that if protects your heart, I don't know about helping with controlling your weight as no-one has mentioned that to me and I have battled with weight gain since diagnosis!!

TheSparkyPony

I take Metformin 500mg twice a day.
I'm only 19 and felt quite odd taking it after only hearing of older people/T2's on it , but it's an extra measure to help both combat my levels and theoretically reduce the amount of insulin I'm on so no complaints here!

Juli

I have been on Metformin for the last two weeks.

Am pleased with it as definitely making me more insulin sensitive, in fact have started to lower the basals as a result.

But, I did start out with pretty good control anyway. Located an organisation which has given me incredible clever diabetic help - they're all diabetic anyway so they have my respect.

Am I allowed to mention that? Metformin is GOOD - for me!

Geoff

After reading some articles on ongoing research for improving sensitivity to insulin in type 1 diabetics, I have noticed that my insulin requirement had more than doubled in the last eighteen months for roughly the same amount of carbs that I consume each day, I asked my GP if I could start a three month trial using Metformin to see if it would improve my condition.

Before starting my Hba1C had risen to 6.6 and my weight from 76kg to 84kg, also my av daily insulin requirement had risen from 26 units to 54 units per day.

After the three months my new tests showed a drop to 6.1, weight back down to 76kg and best of all insulin requirement returned to 26 units. So for me it has worked well and I am now continuing to use it at 1500mgs per day to see if I can get further improvement.

Deekh1965

Warning may not be suitable for those with weak stomach

Hi

Thought I would tell you about my experience with metformin

Was put on it over 10 year ago and was just told this may help you lose weight as it stops the liver producing glucose. Needless to say it never helped with weight loss.
Over those years I have had problems with my bowels, where when I needed to go I needed to go.
I could not leave my house unless I had emptied my bowels for fear of being somewhere and no toilet.
The latter half of last year I was sent to the hospital for a scan for a suspected DVT, it was Phlebitis.
Whilst at the hospital the Dr there asked what medication I was on and then asked if I had any problem with my bowel, I told her my story and she told me metformin can cause that.
I was never told about that side effect.

I have since stopped taking metformin and am fine bowel wise although I am very insulin resistant.