blurry vision

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the information, I like the thought of the low carb diet but worry as I have had high cholesterol in the past and was told by my doctor not to eat meat and to become a vegen.
Any thoughts on this?
Kind regards, Ian
Diabetes trumps cholesterol, for one thing... And cholesterol isn't as bad as we were always told. My cholesterol was high before I started the low carb high fat, and it went down as I was eating that way for a while. We always assumed, or were told, that what we eat influences our cholesterol greatly... But 80% of it is made by the liver, not ingested. And hey, I'm eating eggs daily, bacon twice a day, cheese too... And my cholesterol is down. There are people who only eat meat (the carnivore diet, which is absolute 0 carbs), and do well on that. So you're quite allowed to eat meat. Red, white, whatever. As long as it's not processed half to death with all sorts of carby additives, you're a-o.k.

Reactions: ian1currie

ian1currie

@ian1currie

Hello and welcome.

Your levels are too high most likely because of your food choices. These are the foods that cause us the most problems - bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals (including porridge) and most fruits. We also need to be sparing with our milk.
Please have a look at the page on this website
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

I have no idea who sent you the Codefree meter, but as the Codefree has the cheapest available test strips you will find it useful. You can buy extra strips here http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/
and there are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Don't forget to check the box to say you are diabetic so you can buy them without paying the VAT.

As for cholesterol, there is an excellent thread here that is attempting to put all the information about cholesterol together.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/
Thank you so much for the advice, I have started eating low carbs today and after my breakfast my level was lower then before I eat . It was 12.9 and after it was 10.5. hopefully it will continue to fall .

Reactions: Antje77

ian1currie

Diabetes trumps cholesterol, for one thing... And cholesterol isn't as bad as we were always told. My cholesterol was high before I started the low carb high fat, and it went down as I was eating that way for a while. We always assumed, or were told, that what we eat influences our cholesterol greatly... But 80% of it is made by the liver, not ingested. And hey, I'm eating eggs daily, bacon twice a day, cheese too... And my cholesterol is down. There are people who only eat meat (the carnivore diet, which is absolute 0 carbs), and do well on that. So you're quite allowed to eat meat. Red, white, whatever. As long as it's not processed half to death with all sorts of carby additives, you're a-o.k.
Thank you for your reply
If you eat meat only ,will you not get bound up, as you are not getting much in the way of fibre?

ian1currie

Thank you for your reply
If you eat meat only ,will you not get bound up, as you are not getting much in the way of fibre?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply
No idea, I just keto/IF. There are straight carnivores here though. It works for some, I know it wouldn't for me though. Like my veggies too much. :)

ian1currie

I saw the diabetes nurse today and found that my Hba1c was from my blood tests a week ago 92 my cholesterol was 7.4 . My doctor has put me on statins and the nurse has upped my dose of metformin to 2 tabs a day.

Shall see in 3 weeks how it is working.

Still have blurry vision even more for close up, have to wear reading glasses to use my phone!

Still I have lost 3 pounds so far on the low carb diet.

Reactions: LeftPeg

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good progress. I lost weight quickly on low carb too. My eyesight returned to normal when my BS levels stabilised between 5-7 but, as i didn’t know that eating low carb would stabilise it, the blurred vision lasted 8 weeks. I had to wear two pairs of glasses, one over the other, to read my phone. I got some strange looks in public lol x

Jonlennon

Hi Ian I was diagnosed last Sunday with type 1, my vision has been all over the place. The DB nurse said it's quite normal. She did say it can last up to 6 weeks.
Cheers,
Jon.