What is going on? 2.3?

Zaza83

Hi,
I just wanted to update you guys. My GTT is next week so I decided to stop with finger pricks. However, yesterday I went to a kids birthday party and I just had an apple for breakfast after 14 hours of no food ( I am trying to extend overnight fasting a little) and dashed out. Felt fine. At the party I didn't eat much. It was Indian food. I had 2 small samosas and 2 mini onion bhajis and a few french fries. On the way back home I felt reslly tired and light headed. So i tested and it said 2.3 so I tested again and it said 1.3!! I left it for few minutes and tested again and it was 10.1! This is so strange. Has this ever happened to anyone before??

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you had been handling food and perhaps not washed your hands thoroughly there might have been contaminants. Otherwise I would suggest you test your meter (battery or with control fluid per your model).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Zaza83 Unsure why you are testing yourself - you haven't been diagnosed diabetic ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry @Zaza83 You have not been diagnosed with diabetes, you are creating anxiety by believing that you have got it, your GP has told you that you haven't got it, so please let yourself go from this anxiety and stop testing, your GP will pick it up if you have health concerns but a self diagnosis isn't a diagnosis.

If I was in your shoes I would speak to your GP about your health anxiety, as you are pregnant you are placing yourself under more stress with your mental anxiety and you need support for this, your GP will be able to help you with this.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had GD, rampant GD that was not picked up until 28 weeks. I've seen your threads and concerns, and I understand you want a definitive diagnosis to put your mind at rest, but my own point of view is: What happens if you are diagnosed? Will you do things differently then? Why do you have to wait to do things differently? Or is it a case of hoping that medication will fix something?

I'd hope that the same thing happens with diagnosis of GD/no GD as is happening now: that you are meeting the nutritional needs of you and your baby. I'm not really seeing how an extended overnight fasting time, an apple and bits and bobs for food is doing that. Whatever a meter says.

I'm not a doctor, but I have been through GD, and then I avoided it for a subsequent pregnancy (full term, totally healthy and normal weight baby), by following the same protocol as I was given before: carb counting with specific guidelines for each meal, and that involved eating 4x a day (number four was literally just before bed, so there was definitely not an extended fasting period), plus 2 snacks. I'd never eaten that much food in my life! But they were certainly very different types of food than I'd usually eaten before.

You're growing a beautiful little one, and you want to keep them and you healthy and safe throughout this wonderful pregnancy. If you really believe you have GD, you should eat as though you do - and that involves eating properly and healthily.

Zaza83

I have had GD, rampant GD that was not picked up until 28 weeks. I've seen your threads and concerns, and I understand you want a definitive diagnosis to put your mind at rest, but my own point of view is: What happens if you are diagnosed? Will you do things differently then? Why do you have to wait to do things differently? Or is it a case of hoping that medication will fix something?

I'd hope that the same thing happens with diagnosis of GD/no GD as is happening now: that you are meeting the nutritional needs of you and your baby. I'm not really seeing how an extended overnight fasting time, an apple and bits and bobs for food is doing that. Whatever a meter says.

I'm not a doctor, but I have been through GD, and then I avoided it for a subsequent pregnancy (full term, totally healthy and normal weight baby), by following the same protocol as I was given before: carb counting with specific guidelines for each meal, and that involved eating 4x a day (number four was literally just before bed, so there was definitely not an extended fasting period), plus 2 snacks. I'd never eaten that much food in my life! But they were certainly very different types of food than I'd usually eaten before.

You're growing a beautiful little one, and you want to keep them and you healthy and safe throughout this wonderful pregnancy. If you really believe you have GD, you should eat as though you do - and that involves eating properly and healthily.
The whole concern is about my baby. I don't want GD undiagnosed and harming my baby!! I am eating as healthy as I can and cutting down carbs. I am also excercising and especially more so after evening meals. I have been eating my fruits and vegetables but there is so much confusing information about diet.

You were given guidelines about diet, I haven't been diagnosed bevause my GP is telling me to wait until 24 weeks and in the meantime I have all the synptoms of GD and am trying my best to be healthy for my baby.

Reactions: kokhongw

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The whole concern is about my baby. I don't want GD undiagnosed and harming my baby!! I am eating as healthy as I can and cutting down carbs. I am also excercising and especially more so after evening meals. I have been eating my fruits and vegetables but there is so much confusing information about diet.

You were given guidelines about diet, I haven't been diagnosed bevause my GP is telling me to wait until 24 weeks and in the meantime I have all the synptoms of GD and am trying my best to be healthy for my baby.
You don't have all the symptoms of GD though. Your other post had a wealth of non-diabetic-level blood reading results: eating lots of carbs then having non-diabetic results is symptomatic of not necessarily having GD. Fasting for a very long time then eating high-carb food probably isn't optimal though, GD or no: smallbrit's regime looks sensible- you should look into that sort of eating plan. I would also like to second and highly recommend Juicyj's advice above: please peak to your GP about anxiety.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Zaza83 what day is your private gtt? Remember that you need to eat moderate carbs in the run up to the test to avoid a false positive.