Are we going to die post-Brexit?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We should put Britain first and buy British. If medication isn't available in Britain, I see no reason why it shouldn't be and why British companies can't start making insulin and other pharmaceuticals . It can't be that difficult.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
that article is 3 1/2 months old and much progress has been made to work supplies out.
Really some detail please because I see little evidence of it.

Have they started production in the UK in the last 3 and one half months.

What was true a couple of months ago is most probably true now complacent viewing of the world through rose tinted glasses is not going to do any one any good I do not feel at all reassured by the progress made so far.

SeanJ_99

theresa-may-refuses-to-guarantee-medicine-supply-under-no-deal-brexit-11540946
Really some detail please because I see little evidence of it.

Have they started production in the UK in the last 3 and one half months.

What was true a couple of months ago is most probably true now complacent viewing of the world through rose tinted glasses is not going to do any one any good I do not feel at all reassured by the progress made so far.
I can’t link it but it’s a sky article posted on 31st October..

Attachments

• B52675F7-12B4-448E-9A0E-E4F757D06D5D.png
    B52675F7-12B4-448E-9A0E-E4F757D06D5D.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 366

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I might die pre-Brexit at the rate things are going.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We should put Britain first and buy British. If medication isn't available in Britain, I see no reason why it shouldn't be and why British companies can't start making insulin and other pharmaceuticals . It can't be that difficult.

I feel the first issue with doing the "homegrown" could be a "copywrite" challenge regarding IP from the "big three?"
Then there is the set up of facilities & training of staff.. (Let alone the recruitment.)

I actually work in "production" these days.. (All be it snazzy Bluetooth controlled valves for international nuclear power industries.) for a Brittish company started & based in Bath. There are a hell of a lot of protocols & audits from our clients..?

Medical products must be more a pain in the "A&E" to get off the ground & approved...

D

Deleted member 308541

Hope all of you people voted NO to Brexit, as it seems as it is coming home to roost and bite all of the YES voters, insulin users or not, on the ****.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"We should put Britain first and buy British. If medication isn't available in Britain, I see no reason why it shouldn't be and why British companies can't start making insulin and other pharmaceuticals . It can't be that difficult."

One possible reason is it would have to be done under license from those who hold the patents on the process.

That may take some while to negotiate

I am uncertain as to how long Insulin would last stockpiled in a warehouse some where.

I would imagine it would depend on how well the temperature is controlled

And of course it's expiration date.

Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I too would like many things Made in England again and /or from scratch.
Why not?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We are not going to war with the EU, they want to sell us all of their wares just as much as we want to buy them. Britain is self sufficient in just about nowt and the whole world knows it. Can you really envisage French suppliers saying 'Non, we will not sell you our delicious cheese'? Can you see a time when EU countries deny us access to medications and at a bigger profit, too?

Reactions: Johnpm601

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm looking on the bright side :) no more parallel import (pi) medications so no more insulin with a foreign language on the box with an English sticker over it, having travelled from where to there and however many storage depots in an audited temperature controlled environment.

Sorry :) rant finished and I'd say not to worry, the makers have published their plans to maintain an undisrupted supply.

It's the same product. I earned a little extra cash a couple of years ago at a logistics company putting English labelling over a wrongly boxed electrical item for a different region.. ;)

Regarding the actual logistics. I was inducted after a successful application for a firm that deals with the import, storage & dispatch of cereal in Swindon, over two years back. (Strangely I found myself working out the carb content in a 40'odd tonne shipping container?)
There was a trailer of produce that failed the protocol & had been written off as contaminated.. (Actually, there was evidence of a "stowaway" in the back.) oddly, this was when I also discovered I had Macula oedema after a company eye test that hinged on my training for a fork lift ticket.. (I was out of a job.)

In short, these companies have some pretty heavy protocols agreed with the manufacturer & the client on the reciving end incorporated in the contract.. As mentioned in my earlier post, reinforced with regular audits..

I don't see the shipping of insulin from mainland Europe as any different. ;)

Reactions: Dodo and kev-w